Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

Which 24 Series Battery to Buy?

I have 35' Puma TT that is about a year old. A fuse kept blowing and the first time the dealer found part of a wire touching the body and fixed it. The fuse continued blowing and the dealer said the battery was shot and was almost bottoming out on the slide outs.

When I talked to the tech he said they were having problems with the battery and advised me to buy the battery elsewhere.

My question: Which 24 series battery should I get? What do I need to buy with the battery in order to use it? The tech said something about getting one with wing nuts.

I'm looking for something that doesn't require fluid maintenance.
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

What ends are on your battery cables?.....do they slip over a post or are they flat with a hole thru them.......have a Costco there?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

You want a " Marine, RV " deep cycle battery. Go with a GP 27 or GP29/31 if they will fit.

The key word is deep cycle.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #4

It sounds like you still have a short somewhere since a fuse keeps blowing. A new battery won't fix that. There is no chance a bad battery is going to cause a fuse or breaker to blow. You need to find the issue before replacing the battery.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
It sounds like you still have a short somewhere since a fuse keeps blowing. A new battery won't fix that. There is no chance a bad battery is going to cause a fuse or breaker to blow. You need to find the issue before replacing the battery.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
I have 35' Puma TT that is about a year old. A fuse kept blowing and the first time the dealer found part of a wire touching the body and fixed it. The fuse continued blowing and the dealer said the battery was shot and was almost bottoming out on the slide outs.

When I talked to the tech he said they were having problems with the battery and advised me to buy the battery elsewhere.

My question: Which 24 series battery should I get? What do I need to buy with the battery in order to use it? The tech said something about getting one with wing nuts.

I'm looking for something that doesn't require fluid maintenance.
A picture of the battery compartment would make a big difference. Also, please add exact make model and year to your signature line or in your profile. I looked at a lot of socks and shoes while trying to find specs on your TT.

I agree with postings above. The dealer is just trying to sell you something you probably don't need. Find a better service shop before you spend money on a new battery. May be there is an other TT dealer who can do warranty service for you. Check with the TT manufacturer.

I also agree you will probably do well to get bigger batteries for a 35' TT toy hauler. The small group 24 battery is minimum necessary to operate the emergency electric breaks. A pair of 100 amp hour marine AGM batteries would serve you much better unless you never camp without electric hook ups.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What ends are on your battery cables?.....do they slip over a post or are they flat with a hole thru them.......have a Costco there?
I had to wait to get my TT back today to look. The ends of the cable slip over the posts. Unfortunately, no Costcos are near me, but there is a BJs.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://batterysavvy.com/best-group-24-batteries/
Old 11-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Interesting that you say that. I didn't see the connection either. The service manager said that even if I'm plugged into shore power the TT will draw on the battery and then use the shore power to charge behind the draw.

I was told that because the battery was bottoming out, when I put extended the slide out the weak power from the battery caused the weakest fuse to blow.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #10

If you have room, 1 group 27 would be better then a 24.....google for sizes....
Old 11-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #11

Can you see the bottom of slide in relation to where the battery is located?....anywhere close?......Maybe that's the service managers way of saying the battery is dying, as in won't hold a charge......what fuse is iit and it's rating....
Old 11-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know if a new battery cures the problem. Inquiring minds would like to know...
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #13

a commonly available battery that doesn't need water added twice a year , Optima deep cycle AGM battery's . Walmart some times has them in stock , some auto parts stores have them. I would NOT replace it with a group 24, That was the cheapest battery and smallest one your dealer could install when your camper was new. Group 27 is one size up and then group 31 is one step better. Two battery's would be better if you have slide outs or electric leveling jacks or if you do any off grid camping a must.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Can you see the bottom of slide in relation to where the battery is located?....anywhere close?......Maybe that's the service managers way of saying the battery is dying, as in won't hold a charge......what fuse is iit and it's rating....
It's a blue 15 amp and the battery is mounted behind the propane tanks in the front. The fuse powered the front cabin overhead lights. I did see cause and effect. While I was putting out the front slide I saw the cabin lights go out.

You're right, the service manager was telling me the battery was no good. The service tech told me that they were having trouble with this battery model and that I should buy a different brand somewhere else. This one is made by Batteries Unlimited.

Tags
battery