Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 06:10 AM   #15

Thanks to those who responded. Now back to my original question….
Short ones or long ones?

I’m trying to weigh the benefits of a longer “ramp”’vs one that is shorter, steeper.

My first post has links to the two styles.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #16

Get the long one. It will make backing up easier.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Get the long one. It will make backing up easier.
Thank you so much for engaging with me on in this conversation. I thought the longer, more gradual incline would also make things easier. Thanks for confirming my intuition!

Just curious - backing up is my instinct too. But one of the videos for the product said to drive FORWARD onto the ramp.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-08-2023, 09:26 AM   #18

I have Andersen levelers which are on the longer, eliptical side. One broke so I tried some from Amazon that were more stoutly built. The problem with the Amazon units was the ramp angle was so steep that the truck's e-brake would not hold while installing the chok and the trailer would roll out of level; a pain. This is on a fifth wheel. Andersen replaced my broken one in a hurry so I have been happy with them since. I returned the Amazon product. I have had limited slipping issues with the Andersens.

If I only have to lift a side an inch, I still use my yellow Lego blocks. I will note there is not much room between my tires to roll off the levelers so I have to be careful when to stop so the leveler will be free. I had to level a fair amount once and rolled off the front of the levelers; no big deal
Old 03-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Thank you so much for engaging with me on in this conversation. I thought the longer, more gradual incline would also make things easier. Thanks for confirming my intuition!

Just curious - backing up is my instinct too. But one of the videos for the product said to drive FORWARD onto the ramp.

Your thoughts?
For me I like backing up on them. Either way works. I have a tandem axle TT so either way I still have one in between the tires when leaving.
Lot of times the reverse gear is lower than 1st gear in vehicles so that helps get up in the wedge easier.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:06 PM   #20

One consideration between shorter or longer ones - if you have a dual axle trailer, which one will fit between the wheels? I don’t know that they had short ones when I bought mine, and I had to cut some off my Andersen ones to get them in between the tires.
Fpmtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpmtngal View Post
One consideration between shorter or longer ones - if you have a dual axle trailer, which one will fit between the wheels? I don’t know that they had short ones when I bought mine, and I had to cut some off my Andersen ones to get them in between the tires.
Thanks for that. I have a small single axle 22' camper so either will be fine.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:27 PM   #22
Cat

I have been very happy with the Anderson leveler. I do have a two axle trailer and I did have to shorten one of the ramps because it was slightly longer than what would fit between the axles. Easy fix. I" used them for 4 years and love them. They would be considered the long one. Even though Anderson only sells one size. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:42 AM   #23

Bought the Anderson’s in preparation for next week’s trip. My husband still likes the legos so we’re going to hold a competition to see who sets up faster!😊
Old 03-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I’ve been using the square blocks that snap together to level my small 22’ single axle TT, and I’m ready to graduate to the curved levelers, which I think would be more efficient.

Upon browsing, I see there are very short leveling wedges, like this one:

Camco Curved Leveler and Wheel Chock (44423) https://a.co/d/5x5SUpW

and then longer wedges, like this one:

CARMTEK Camper Leveler Kit - Curved RV Levelers with Camper Wheel Chocks for Travel Trailers | Faster Camping Leveling Than RV Leveling Blocks (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/fOBGgwo

Wondering if there’s an advantage of one over another? (Short vs long)

Also - I often travel solo. This may be a silly question - but without a spotter, any chance of rolling right over the 4” end? At least with my blocks I have a pyramid and will just roll back down the other side!
I use a levelmate pro, via an app on your phone you will know before you take out the levellers how much you need to add. If it's more than 4" I reposition the trailer.

HUGE help when levelling up solo.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/bu9u5kF
Old 03-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
I use a levelmate pro, via an app on your phone you will know before you take out the levellers how much you need to add. If it's more than 4" I reposition the trailer.

HUGE help when levelling up solo.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/bu9u5kF
On the flip side you can also sometimes find a level spot while backing up. Doesn't happen very often but when it does it makes using a LMP fun.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
On the flip side you can also sometimes find a level spot while backing up. Doesn't happen very often but when it does it makes using a LMP fun.
I’m boondocking right now and was all excited to use my new leveling wedges. Unfortunately - according to my LevelMate Pro - I’m completely level! 🙃 The hour was getting late when I arrived and I was happy to be level and done, but when I’m leaving I’m determined to find an UNlevel spot to test these new curved levelers!