Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Which would you buy

just started looking for a travel trailer. Looking at Jayco and Coachmen. which is better and why?
lee cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Look them over and decide for yourself. Look at how the house is built, since the appliances etc are the same. Which one has a better frame, made for the unit, not modified to fit. Roof construction, wall construction, window quality, axles, and so on. What's the floor made of? Make a list for each trailer brand you like, pro and con, and do lots of research. All of these things add up to whether you are camping or have your unit sitting at the dealer while their "mechanics" wait for parts for most of your warranty period.

Look at other brands, too... there are a lot more out there. But in my opinion, the short answer to your question is Jayco.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Which lines? For example was it apex? Freedom express? Catilina?

They all vary in quality and options. Comparing a "coachmen" to a "jayco" depends on the models and lines of each brand.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

Coachmen is way too broad an umbrella. There are so many sub-brands that cover a wide range from low end to high-midrange in price and quality.
Also, do you want fiberglass or corrugated aluminum?
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

TV

whats the TV

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #6

Looking at the Jayco Jay Flight 28bhs (4890 dry weight) and the Coachman Apex 288bhs (4842 dry weight). Second question; would these be to big for a Ford F-150 rated 6200 LBs towing capacity. The 3 different salesman I have talked to all have said I would be fine.
lee cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #7

As said...you have to look at specific trailers. I like the Jayco products overall, but you can see where they cut corners in their lower priced trailers.

If you buy a trailer with a dry weight of 4,900 lbs., you are going to be 5,500 lbs. or more loaded with gear. Technically, your truck can do it, but it may not be a great towing setup. It's not scientific, but I like the old guideline that says keep your towing weight to 75-80% of the towing capacity. At 80%, you would want to tow 5,000 lbs.
But, I suggest you crunch the numbers, especially you payload capacity as that is where your truck will be limiting.

My Tundra can technically tow 10K, but I feel that it can comortably tow 7.5 K or less.
It's just my opinion.....but you don't want to find out after purchasing a trailer that you need a different truck, unless $$ isn't a problem. If I wanted to tow a larger or heavier trailer than my Minnie, I'd get a 3/4 ton truck.

Good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #8

I like Jayco they have been around forever and are known for building good trailers that last. Jayco is at the top of our list for the next trailer. However coachmen builds a lot of there new trailers with "AZDEL" instead of wood which is something that gets my attention, especially if it eliminates rotten walls and soft spots down the road.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

I have a viking 16fb made by coachman. 2 years in not 1 problem yet.
cocoab6 is offline   Reply With Quote