Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either live with what you have or sell it yourself. Dealers buy a wholesale and sell at retail. Keeping that in mind and how new your rig is you'll never get enough to pay it off as a trade. At best you might find something bigger but older that a dealer will do a straight trade but you'll still be faced with having to get a bigger tow vehicle. Incurring new debt now isn't the best plan of action and will limit your future options.

I'm 14 years ahead of you with post service retirement. When the day comes that you have that DD-214 in your fist you're going to need as much cash and as little debt as possible. Be it the costs associated with restarting your life in a new area or to cover your living expenses until you can land new employment.

And who ever told you a landlord can raise the rent at anytime was wrong. A rental lease is a contract that both you and the landlord agree to which includes a fix cost rent for the period of the lease. They can't raise the rent and you can't move, without incurring a cost penalty, until the lease expires.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #16

Nothermark,
Ha. Got it. Thank you. I didn't think about leaving it for a month to be fixed. Very good point.
Hey Nothermark, can't a company come out while I live in the trailer to fix it if need be and if I am in a camp ground as long as I have heat during the winter we should be ok right? If the camp ground has shower facilities, it will be better right?
I appreciate you!
Vr
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Gina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #17

Hey Sweetbriar,

Thank you! Good to hear coming from a veteran who has walked in the shoes I'm fixin to walk in. Well, I am trying to stay away from having to rent a place, then move and rent again because those deposits are really expensive. I should have bought a bigger travel trailer for my son and I. I just walked in not knowing and jumped a little soon without researching unfortunately. I want to save some money before retiring and thought living in a travel trailer in a campground would help me do it. I must say, it's really nerve racking to think about going in debt but too late, I already have my truck and current trailer payment argh!
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204s
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina3 View Post
Hi,
So I want a bigger travel trailer. I am about to retire from the military with 23 years active. I'm scared! I can't get a house because I don't know where my little one and I want to retire too. I also don't want to rent because they can raise rent/dog fee anytime. I can't get a home loan because I have to live in the home a year and where I am now, Mountain View, CA is NOT where I want to live. I will have to retire in 1 1/2 years. I think a travel trailer is best. Gina
First, thank you for your service!
Keep in mind millions of people in very similar situations don't think a travel trailer is best. If you don't have money saved up than I would agree with them. Pay off what you have or at least get it down to where it's not upside down. In most places when you rent you sign a lease and you know what the rent is going to be for a year. I'm pretty sure with a VA home loan you can pre-pay (pay off when you sell) without penalties. Of course if you made a boat load of money you have to pay taxes.

Quote:
...What are your thoughts?......
p.s. There are many retirees in the OKC area because of Tinker AFB. A study that came out last week listed OKC number one for retires that need their dollar to stretch....... Just sayin'

Oklahoma City, Tulsa make list of Top 15 cities where retirement savings will go furthest | KFOR.com
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #19

Yes, several Colorado Springs realtors told me I would have to live in the home a year if I purchased one there unless I story about living there. So I could not get one.
Vr
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gina, living in a travel trailer in the winter can be difficult if you are in an area that gets really cold. Most RVs don't have much insulation and water lines will freeze. Also, trying to live in one in at 90 plus degrees you'll struggle to stay cool.

I travel with the seasons -- Seattle in the summer, Arizona in the winter. If you can do the same sort of travel a TT might work for you and your son. You would probably want to home school him so he doesn't have to change school in the middle of the year. Lots to think about.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #21

Thank you!! You know, I'm thinking if I don't do it now, I probably won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I've had nothing but positive experiences at CW. With the number of people they deal with, some will be unhappy, and all unhappy people squawk.

I too believe your TV won't do what you want. Bigger TV means bigger payments.

If the whole issue is about $, then look for a mobile home. If you want to travel and enjoy the Road, then realize it will cost money.

I chose to enjoy my retirement, hope you do too. Thank you for your service.

Two Vietnam tours, one Alaska tour, 150 parachute jumps, and Ranger training was enough for me. ;-)
------------
Thank you for paving the way Sir!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #22

Thank You So Much!

I really want to camp I guess is my problem. It's so relaxing and I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it since we got our trailer and camped. I know there are down sides such a busted pipes, expenses, etc. I also know I would have to stay in one place for him to have a school year but the summers would be awesome in it. Yes, I know I would have to have gas money to drive it, argh! I tell myself though there are expenses with owning a home. I also think there are mobile RV fixers or what ever they are called which I am sure are expensive also but they could fix a trailer while you stay in it. I have thought alot about a house payment and what that will be and how I may not be able to even afford that or rent payment after military retirement so wouldn't a travel trailer possible cost less? Especially if living on a military campground. When I purchased my trailer, I was told DON'T DO IT by an old co-worker who was retired military. But this trailer has given my son and I a place to live as when I moved here, I wasn't able to get an apartment for about a month due to being a victim of someone elses issues. Had it not been for this trailer, we would have paid out the wazoo for a hotel. I am still grateful! Upon purchasing the travel trailer Aug 2015, I was scared to drive it home. It sat in front of the house for about two months while I looked at it daily wanting to use it. But the guy from the dealership that drove it to our house said he would be homeless if it wasn't for his trailer. I was thinking wow, how sad but good too. For some reason camping just brings my son and I so much closer together it seems. The trailer I am eyeing right now is not that big. It is a Mallard IDM245. It has so much more than ours (And a winter package) although still small for towing purposes. I want a bigger truck but would be upside down on that also if I traded it right now. Some places have mentioned taking my truck and trailer for trade. I just hope I don't make the wrong decision for my son. Me, I would be fine on a cot in the field with a tent but not my little man.
Thank you so much!
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Old 01-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #23

BUT

I also have to say I am old enough to know that sometimes we want something so bad...then get it and find out we really didn't want it so to be cautious and think things out before jumping.
Gina
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Nothermark,
Ha. Got it. Thank you. I didn't think about leaving it for a month to be fixed. Very good point.
Hey Nothermark, can't a company come out while I live in the trailer to fix it if need be and if I am in a camp ground as long as I have heat during the winter we should be ok right? If the camp ground has shower facilities, it will be better right?
I appreciate you!
Vr
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
That is a question you would need to ask the dealer. In general you are living in what is meant to be a part time travel residence so the assumption is that it can be left for service. Dealers are known for long lead times doing warranty work. In the case of CW I was told all parts had to be ordered through their central headquarters thus adding more delay in getting things fixed.

There are some issues with cold weather living in an RV. The campground showers help control moisture but are not always the most convenient answer. It depends on your situation.

How cold is cold? If you get an occasional night below 32 the issues are different than if you get an occasional day above 32. In general if your plumbing is inside the shell you can stand the occasional freezing night with minimal hassle. Disconnect the water hose and run self contained or use a heat tape or heated water hose. If you are continuously cold you need more than that plus probably some extra insulation and dehumidification. There are several good threads about it.

BTW - I assume you are not leaving your black and gray tank valves open and just using city water...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I really want to camp I guess is my problem.......

That changes things. Many of the excuses for camping that you give aren't really valid IMO. No one can blame you for wanting to camp with your son while you have the chance. It may not be the best thing financially and you're missing out on paying off an asset that will mostly appreciate (house). Having said all that ...... camping is fun!

While you're considering your upgrade you should check some of the local KOA's, etc. It's possible you find yourself a work-camp setup. It would be awesome for your son as well. The two of you would work and that would pay for your stay and help out financially...... and it might be fun!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gina,

I live in my motor home full time. I have never had a RV repair shop or mobile RV repair work on MY home. But I am handy, am willing to watch YouTube videos, get my hands dirty and I have had some wonderful RV friends help me fix the things in the last 5.5 years. I drive south in the Fall and spend winters in Southern Arizona.

But living in an RV while trying to go to work and get your son to school is not going to give you the same feeling as your camping trips. Please ask yourself what it is about camping that you love? If it is about not working and spending the whole day with your son you won't have that when work and school is added into your lives.

Living in any RV in a cold winter climate is TOUGH! You mentioned Colorado Springs. They have really cold winters with lots of snow. I feel you would be better in an apartment and keep your current RV for warm weather vacations. You will need to winterize it before nights get below freezing. That is putting pink RV antifreeze in all the water lines and locking it away until warm weather.

But that is just my opinion. I'd tell my daughter the same thing given the same circumstances. Luckily you have time to consider all your options. You are talking to the right people. The wealth of knowledge amongst IRV2 members is un matched. They have saved my bacon many, many times.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #27

Thank You All! I Change My Mind

Ha, just that fast! I watched two videos of a husband and wife team on how to live in your motorhome in the winter. Wow, you were right! I do not, DO NOT and don't think I can do it in the winter months. More importantly, I may tear up my motorhome or RV which will cost tons (Oh no). But far more important than anything is my son would be dealing with cold....nope, can't do it. I like warm over cold any day unless I am just going out to enjoy the snow for some time.
You guys are awesome. Ok, I'm done : - ). I remember jogging in Alabama and loving to sweat but hating running in the cold.
I also watched a video about tiny houses. Thank you for that input, that may be what we should check out next...hehe.
I really appreciate you guys!! It fees good to know that yes, maybe it is the time I have with my son while RVing, being between duty stations and not having to work and the beauty that surrounds us instead of really wanting to full time RV. Maybe I should just keep what I have.
Thanks so so much! You saved me tons!
(If it wasn't for the cold, I would love it ).
Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #28

FWIW tiny houses are overbuilt trailers. I would not consider one as I don't think they would make a reasonably road worthy vehicle.

It sounds like your main issue is money. If you can make it through the 18 months you have left using whatever you are doing now and still want significant vacation then look into school bus driving. It pays well by the hour but the issue is hours worked. Some of that has options like team buses. It's a bit tough for a full time job but as a supplemental it's not bad. Training is free if you work a year. As your son gets older and you get settled somewhere other things will change that make your dreams work out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping