Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No surprises in the links above...Like I said "except a teardrop shape."
The tail of all TT's are flat. The AirStream design is the only (albeit slight) exception. That is not good for aerodynamics, but they are all the same.

My comment was NOT about turbulence. I was talking about simple aerodynamics (wind drag) on the leading edge. A V-Nose will cut the front end wind drag compared to a flat or even slightly angled front cap.

I proved this in a real-life experience on an enclosed cargo trailer I built. Towing it, my small truck could not run freeway speeds with the AirCon without overheating. I added a V-Nose to it which allowed me to run without overheating.

The V-Nose also takes advantage of the otherwise lost space over the tongue.

The best, I would think would be the V-Nose and angled roof like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaycoBanner.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	98767

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #30
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When was the last time you saw a "V" nose airplane or space shuttle, ever see a tractor trailer with a v nose trailer.

In the grand scheme of things does this really matter who is right or wrong on this subject..if it does to you then your "right".

I am sorry I started it. I have better things to do,like being with my grand kids.

Travel safely
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A model A Ford is much more aerodynamic backwards than forwards. That being said, I think the fuel mileage difference in two trailers of the same size and weight. will be negligible and not nearly as important as floorplan and amenities.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
When was the last time you saw a "V" nose airplane or space shuttle, ever see a tractor trailer with a v nose trailer...

Travel safely
Well...here's a famous one, just turned 90' but the same effect on drag:

Name:	sr71_u2_a121.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	98803

Safe travels to you and enjoy your Grandkids. We enjoy ours
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #33

Cliffy good luck, we ran into a really good used TT, we had already decided on a rear lounge floor plan, and this on was perfect for us !
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #34

Not to keep stirring a pot but having recent experience with flat vs V front, I will weigh in.
I think most here would agree that it is all about the headwind and grade. But near as I can tell, in level, low wind driving, 60-65 mph... mileage is about the same +/- 1 mpg... my two TTs are same length but the Super-V weighs in about a ton heavier.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Try Outdoors RV

ORV: Black Rock 19B
24 1/2 ft.
I looked at those , but the fresh water tank under the bed and the resulting moving target when setting up a WDH steered me away. The Nash 17K(22'6") was a better option IMO. It does have a front bed also. Now figuring out how to post a picture from my computer .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2314.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	103953  
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
The places we go lots of times have back in parking with a view of a lake of mountains of something nice to see OUT THE BACK of the TT.
Why are all TTs made with the big windows looking out front at the back of our truck?
Seems odd when you look at what is available in 5th wheels that we don't want.
I'd want a front bath-rear bedroom set up. Why can't I find one?
Just starting to look for a new or "newer" rig. 18' to 24' BOX.

I was told by one dealer to put a hitch socket on the back of a TT and then unhook from towing, go around the back with the truck and hook up to that ball and "push" the TT into the spot so the forward facing big windows would be looking at the lake. Hmmmmm!
Take a look at the Arctic Fox 32A. We ordered ours from the factory with some changes/upgrades, but the recliners look out the back window.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #37

Still looking around but this week is winterize week on the old 78'
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
The places we go lots of times have back in parking with a view of a lake of mountains of something nice to see OUT THE BACK of the TT.
Why are all TTs made with the big windows looking out front at the back of our truck?
Seems odd when you look at what is available in 5th wheels that we don't want.
I'd want a front bath-rear bedroom set up. Why can't I find one?
Just starting to look for a new or "newer" rig. 18' to 24' BOX.

I was told by one dealer to put a hitch socket on the back of a TT and then unhook from towing, go around the back with the truck and hook up to that ball and "push" the TT into the spot so the forward facing big windows would be looking at the lake. Hmmmmm!

While I don't own a TT yet, I have been researching quite a bit. Trying to nail down what exactly we want in a TT. Seems like there are plenty of of makes/model that would work for you. The seasoned guys can correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like many manufactures use similar "wording" for their models. It seems as though many companies use the letters "RLS" or "RLS" for models that have a large living space in the rear with the bed/bath up front. Manufactures website all have the "floor plan" tabs to show what they offer.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #39

I don't think there is a universal code for the model numbers/letters (for lack of better words). My opinion of "RLS" is Rear Living-room Slide - so, living room is in the back and the model has a slide. Not universal, but usually close. For my model - Jayco 32BHDS - 32ft long, Bunk House Dual Slides - I have a bunk house model with two slides.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #40

Right, Nuny'. Not totally universal but would be a good starting point for the OP to weed out some of the models he/she doesn't want.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Really? Would love to see those test results...as long as it DOES NOT come from a flat nose trailer maker

And if so, wonder why airplanes and boats have pointed front ends...those that go all speeds(?)

A teardrop leading edge is obviously best for mid-level wind speeds, but the V-Nose should look like this in a wind tunnel:
Attachment 98733

Safe travels

Most airplanes I've flown aren't being towed by pickup trucks!

If the aerodynamic front of the TT was the part that was actually "breaking" the wind instead of the pickup, I'd say you would be on to something, but what you actually end up with between the truck and trailer is turbulence, not so much Flat Plate Drag, so it doesn't matter a large amount whether it is streamlined or not except for the portion that is actually a greater height than your pickup. When we had a TT, we were towing with a pickup that had a topper on the back, one of those that got taller as it went back. If you want to see how the airflow is affecting your TT, tape a bunch of 1' long pieces of yarn all over the front of your TT, have someone else drive the truck, and check out which way the pieces of yarn are "flowing" or pointing in the airflow as you drive down the highway. Poor man's wind tunnel. Ideally, all the yarn on the outer edges will point away from the center front of TT, but in reality, a lot of them will be flying around all over the place . . . = Turbulence.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #42

Turbulence = more wind resistance. More wind resistance = worse fuel economy . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote