Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our new to us 5th it had just come back from a "professional RV shop" where they had replaced the springs. Because of four blown never-lube bearings I replaced and upgraded the axles, brakes, springs and shocks adding disk brakes. I did the work myself in the driveway. As I was pulling the springs and shackles down some of the bolts where finger loose, others only required a slight turn of a wrench. So much for my confidence in "professional RV shops". I understand that some are very good and do fine work, but others...

In 35 years of IT I learned how to solve problems and learn new stuff all the time. So taking on a RV repair job never really phases me. If I don't understand it already I stop and learn and figure it out.

I also also allow that some people should never get near a simple hammer or screw driver and their credit card is there only required tool. Just good luck in finding a good shop! Finding a good shop on the road becomes even harder than at home when you have time to check them out some.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #44

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Me too plus it is fun. Just bought a Fumoto valve and will be doing my own oil changes too.
I love YouTube! I fixed my BMW with a video on YouTube.
Roadyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht View Post
I am not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined so I buy all the parts possible to solve an issue which cost less than the professional labor. My time is nearly free and I'll get it done somehow.
Ditto on the "free labor". I carry somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000.00 worth of spare parts, Lucille is 15 years old, and fluids and around 100 pounds of tools and diagnostics, "just in case" something happens. Try finding something as simple as a radiator cap when you are in podunk, where ever. I have always found that proactive is not only better than reactive but cheaper in the long run. More times than not it is something that can be fixed in a campground and doesn't delay or spoil a vacation for the wife. We all know that if the wife is not happy, "no one is happy".
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
175.00 at car dealers in San Jose area
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everybody at some point in time wasn't a mechanic. We all started at some point with a career choice maybe marriage and eventually many bought a home. We were beginning our careers and most didn't have the cash to pay for repairs so we began learning how to fix things especially in the home.

My Dad was mechanical/technical and worked his way up the ladder as most did in the 30's through the 60's. He shared none of his expertise with my brother or I. With no college degree he was to busy working 16 hours a day as the sole bread winner in the home. He did make it up to Plant Manager at Rockwell. I remember him telling us towards the end of his career that he finally broke into the 5 figure salary range as just over $10,000. We wern't poor nor rich but we did OK. We always had a garden and never missed a meal.

From as early as 7 or 8 I was building electric motors, including winding the electromagnets for the field, & the armature and using copper pipe (Split) for a commutator. Dad had a garage and a few electric and hand tools but it wasn't anything fancy. I just found stuff and made it work. Most everything I tried to build from library books worked. Then a neighbor friend got me into shortwave radio and eventually Ham Radio. What a blast we had.

When I entered HS it was a small Catholic school and they didn't have $$$ to spend on Vocational classes so my technical education kind of stagnated during those years. I still read every book about mechanical and electrical things and how they worked. Also read every autobiography of many the early inventors like Lee D Forest, T.A. Edison, S. Morse, N. Tesla, G. Westinghouse.

College did open up opportunities when I discovered Industrial Education courses and after a 4 year vacation in the AF where because of my electrical background I scored high enough and got into ground RADAR repair with a full year of electrical and RADAR repair training at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS.

Following my AF time I went back to Ball State University and finished my IE Degree and started my first job teaching Auto Shop at a brand new state of the art Vocational training facility in Canton MI.

I had 35 years of teaching automotive and wouldn't trade that time for anything. When you teach a subject like that your learning NEVER, NEVER stops. And for sure my 4 years of electrical/electronic training and OJT experience in the AF was immensely beneficial based on the major overhaul that took place in the auto industry beginning in 1979.

If you are new to the RV life style and new to these types of repairs consider it a challenge. This forum is a great source of information as many of you know. Here's an area that is not often discussed. We joined the AR WBGO club.

We have about 25 units in the group. We camp out for 5 days each month for 10 months out of the year. When 10 to 20 guys get together who have owned WBGO products for as long as 30 years there's almost nothing somebody hasn't experienced and or seen at least once if not more often.

On our last outing in Hot Springs as we were putting the slide out it stopped and went crooked. It went out short on both sides. One side was 2" short and the other was 6" short. I thought about it for a day. We all talked it over for another then on the third day we tore into it. I called WBGO and Lippert with mixed results. Eventually we figured it out and knew exactly why it broke, how it broke, what parts need replaced and how to do it. We got the slide back in with no problems and had to do the same for our next trip with no issues.

It was covered by our extended warranty. I contacted a repair facility that we knew was good because many of the other members had great luck with repairs. Another advantage of having that many WBGO owners needing a good shop that will do warranty work.

I had pictures for the shop along with part numbers, and prices. I figured to make it easier for the shop and they'll appreciate it and do a good job which they did. Now it's actually fixed better than what WBGO originally did at the factory. To complicated to explain here.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
U-Tube can be a good source for repair information but be careful. I've seen some really bad and unsafe practices displayed on there so if you use U-Tube get several opinions and or check with somebody on these forums.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #49

I am one of those who subscribe to the notion that if I am going to have the toys I better be able to fix them. Alot of this is because I don't trust the other guy to.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #50

Totally agree with TeJay there are some really bad redneck fix videos out there so do some research and look for more than one approach .
If the video is from the vendor your golden. ( most of the time [emoji2])
Dick Missett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am also a diy person. Unless I'm am completely not able to fix some, then I'll take it in.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #52

Has anyone been busted or fussed at for working on your unit at the campground? I was working on my fridge in Vegas when it seemed like the camp host kept coming by giving me the evil eye. Never said anything but it made me wonder. They did have a no personal repair policy at that location but you could call a mobile tech if needed. Maybe they just get kickbacks from the mobile guys to come on site?
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #53

By the way, the fridge problem was a result of stopping at a Blue Beacon truck wash outside of Vegas. They sprayed water up into the fridge service door vents and took out the overtemp control board. So as with regular service, I am the only one that can now wash my RV. Even having something as simple as a wash done by a professional company has its repercussions.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote