Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Will Generator Neutral Plug work?

I have a 30 amp rig, and installed a in line EMS, only to find out when plugged my 2000 watt inverter generator it didn’t work!!!
From my readings it appears that inserting a generator neutral plug into one of my generator outlets will fix this issue … fingers crossed 🤞
Any advice?… I guess I could also run a ground wire from the generator literally into the ground, but that’s a pain… advice appreciated
BMJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #2

The plug will work, driving a ground rod in the ground won't.

Inverter generators have a floating neutral, not a ground issue. The bonding plug ties one side to the ground pin, creating a neutral.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ1 View Post
I have a 30 amp rig, and installed a in line EMS, only to find out when plugged my 2000 watt inverter generator it didn’t work!!!
From my readings it appears that inserting a generator neutral plug into one of my generator outlets will fix this issue … fingers crossed 🤞
Any advice?… I guess I could also run a ground wire from the generator literally into the ground, but that’s a pain… advice appreciated
There are several threads on this here but the bast way to see how it’s done is a quick YouTube search.

Several good videos on how to make one.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just buy a spare male plug and bond the neutral to the ground, plug this into one port on the generator, and the EMS is happy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #5

Edison Plug.....Neutral/Ground jumper

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

Doesn't you EMS have a bypass switch? On my PD EMS I have the remote digital readout and on it there's a bypass switch.
I would think that something like that would be common.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:12 AM   #7

Thanks
BMJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #8

System Ground

System ground and earth ground are often confused. Earth ground could be a metal stake driven into the ground. System ground is the ground wire in any system that connects to ground pins on outlets.

There must be one and only one connection between neutral wire and system ground wire in a system ("bonding"). Pedestals are "bonded" at the campground service entrance. In this case your RV must not have a bond between neutral and system ground.

Your generator must have a bonding connection between its neutral and system ground. The bonding plugs discussed above will do that.

In some generator systems the bond is installed elsewhere for various reasons. So most generators are shipped without bonding. Your generator may have a place to bond ground and neutral. See owners manual for instructions.

Earth ground is a different issue.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #9

Yes, the grounded plug will work
ace123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator