Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 2016 Creekside. Regarding 4 season, it's everything you're looking for. It's a very well built unit. We are new travel trailer people, previously we lived in a Class A DP when we traveled. We did not know that ORV is determined to make their trailers with a very high lift design, so there's lots of ground clearance. Also, the hitch is really high, ours is more than 30" high, so there's no way to open the tailgate. The only reason we chose travel trailer was so we could use the storage space of the truck box. If you can't use that space anyway, I think 5th wheel is better. Re: running the furnace while driving, well, our Class A had the same furnace and we had to run it so that we wouldn't freeze in that big box. There's nothing dangerous about that. Plus, the secret of the winterized holding tanks is the furnace heat duct to keep the plumbing warm. If you're not going to run the furnace, you're not heating the plumbing.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The web suite for OutdoorsRV has several videos that explain the construction and insulation of their units. Just go there and watch them. If you have any other questions you can call the factory. Just trying to get you to the info the easiest way and it will be accurate info.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The web suite for OutdoorsRV has several videos that explain the construction and insulation of their units. Just go there and watch them. If you have any other questions you can call the factory. Just trying to get you to the info the easiest way and it will be accurate info.
I had been through their site extensively and redundantly I also called and spoke with them and share text messages with the regional rep. That's why I list them as our first choice.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

Be aware of manufactures that use the R value of reflective foil for the insulating rating.

Foil in TT is 3/16" -1/4"

Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

In 2011 the EPA stopped the reflective foil manufactures from putting the Energy Star label on the product.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...rgy%20Star.pdf

If there is to be any benefit (however little) from the foil it has to be installed correctly with an air space on one side. The bubble foil in our TT was wrapped tightly around the tanks and then the Chloroplast on the bottom of the TT was pressed against the foil. There was no air space.

The top of all the the tanks were wrapped as well......this insulates the tanks from the radiant heat coming from inside the trailer!?

The 1/4" Chloroplast (sheet covering the bottom) on our TT (not the 5th) had sagged so much that it had puddles of water in/on it. Four weeks after a trip in the spring both the Chloroplast and the foil were still soaked with water.

The TT also had numerous holes in the bottom that let (cold) air in...slide cutouts, valve handle holes, electric wires, numerous air gaps around the trailer at the top and bottom of the frame.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
Be aware of manufactures that use the R value of reflective foil for the insulating rating.

Foil in TT is 3/16" -1/4"

Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

In 2011 the EPA stopped the reflective foil manufactures from putting the Energy Star label on the product.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...rgy%20Star.pdf

If there is to be any benefit (however little) from the foil it has to be installed correctly with an air space on one side. The bubble foil in our TT was wrapped tightly around the tanks and then the Chloroplast on the bottom of the TT was pressed against the foil. There was no air space.

The top of all the the tanks were wrapped as well......this insulates the tanks from the radiant heat coming from inside the trailer!?

The 1/4" Chloroplast (sheet covering the bottom) on our TT (not the 5th) had sagged so much that it had puddles of water in/on it. Four weeks after a trip in the spring both the Chloroplast and the foil were still soaked with water.

The TT also had numerous holes in the bottom that let (cold) air in...slide cutouts, valve handle holes, electric wires, numerous air gaps around the trailer at the top and bottom of the frame.
I've used for foil double bubble wrap extensively through this 1852 farmhouse. The properties of helping to push the radiant heat in the floor up through the floor was its primary use. The heated space above the foil allowed the heat to move up and not below the joist bay. We also used it in a stairwell to the upstairs bedroom as the heat transits up the stairs it doesn't have time to escape into the attic even though the walls are also insulated with 2 inch foam and R21 on the outside of the foam.

It's lightweight it does help, but it is not a miracle material. It can provide a moisture barrier and help to prevent the "impregnation" of moisture into the fiberglass insulation. It seems moisture is your enemy with any lengthy stay in an RV. Ways of mitigating moisture from getting into or allowing it out of the RV would seem important to me.

Spray foam would probably be better if it was a permanent application but how do you repair or alter once it sprayed. The designers and engineers probably have taken this into account that the foil wrap is it more cost-effective treatment of this area, at least for marketing and repair purposes.

With all this research we've been doing we now feel that our best choice will be the Outdoors Manufacturing RV.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #20

spot on your topic, i was looking at these TT yesterday online. seem to be made for four seasons

Legacy Elite II Travel Trailer | Oliver Travel Trailers

they also make a smaller unit also

patrick
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
spot on your topic, i was looking at these TT yesterday online. seem to be made for four seasons

patrick
We looked at those well at least I did the wife wanted more room we have bareboat chartered sailboats from Maine to the Virgin Islands. She said it reminded her too much of the confined space of the sailboat. RVing wasn't my first choice I wanted to go do this in a sailboat, but being married for 40 years I've learned to negotiate. wait a minute maybe the right word isn't negotiate!

I do like the Oliver trailers otherwise, It seem like it would be a great investment if you looked after it, it would last for many years to come. However it's much like an airstream a price point just beyond where I'd would what I want to go. So after my exhaustive search we become very happy with our decision that we made last night... with a few mods we feel the Outdoors Manufacturing travel trailers will be our answer.

Edit: I meant to mention the one option to shore four seasons is the 12 V heat pad on the freshwater tank
Old 11-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We purchased an ORV trailer last spring. We have had some minor issues that the dealer and ORV have taken care of. We are not retired yet and spent 31 nights in our trailer this past season. We wanted ours to spend more time in the shoulder seasons. Have fun selecting your floor plan.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post

patrick
Did the smaller one look like this?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
We purchased an ORV trailer last spring. We have had some minor issues that the dealer and ORV have taken care of. We are not retired yet and spent 31 nights in our trailer this past season. We wanted ours to spend more time in the shoulder seasons. Have fun selecting your floor plan.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
I think I'd have more fun if I had a slightly larger tow capacity. I'm thinking I need a vehicle like yours!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A 1 ton or 3500 is nice but a 3/4 or 2500 will tow any of ORV bumper pull TT's nicely. A diesel would not be needed but it will really get it up the grades.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
A 1 ton or 3500 is nice but a 3/4 or 2500 will tow any of ORV bumper pull TT's nicely. A diesel would not be needed but it will really get it up the grades.
I looked again this afternoon. I agree whole heartedly. It would mean a change in direction that my wife he doesn't want to make. I think it's my destiny to come up short, or light, or whatever.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
I think I'd have more fun if I had a slightly larger tow capacity. I'm thinking I need a vehicle like yours!

We had a 2500HD 6.0l gas and it pulled fine on level. We plan some longer trips into the mountains so upgraded to the diesel. We were looking for a 2500 and found this one at a good price so that's why the 3500.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #28

We just got a Lance 2285, 4 season rated.
Heated enclosed tanks.
From what I have seen, no one on this site is familiar with Lance..
Also check L.O.A. ( lance owners of America)
forum...
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer, travel