Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Window leak?...or condensation

So...i havent been to my trailer for a week now. Throughout this week it has rained..been sunny and 90 degrees plus humid...then down to darn near freezing temperatures. I noticed tonight water pooled in the window frame in my slideout.

I have seen this before when we spent a weekend there and chaulked it up to condensation.

Is it possible to have this much condensation built up even when nobody is in the trailer?
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
With those vast temperature changes it is possible to have that much condensation on the windows. If it gets hot during the day the inside of trailer will heat up and when the temperature drops at night it will cause alot of condensation on the windows especially if the inside is still warm from the day.
I would suggest leaving a roof vent open if you have a cover which would allow the warm air to escape quicker as the outside temperature drops.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
With those vast temperature changes it is possible to have that much condensation on the windows. If it gets hot during the day the inside of trailer will heat up and when the temperature drops at night it will cause alot of condensation on the windows especially if the inside is still warm from the day.
I would suggest leaving a roof vent open if you have a cover which would allow the warm air to escape quicker as the outside temperature drops.
Hose tested tonight. Leak. Rubber seal across the middle of the window is an inch too short lol keystone penny pinching on the seals haha filled with clear silicone. Camp / drink on lol
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
You mean all my scientific crap didn't pan out lol...glad you fixed the problem
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl_keystone View Post
Hose tested tonight. Leak. Rubber seal across the middle of the window is an inch too short lol keystone penny pinching on the seals haha filled with clear silicone. Camp / drink on lol
Geez sorry to hear this. I'm beginning to think RV'S are designed and built by retarded monkeys some days. SMH!! Was the gap at the top or the bottom. Because if it was at the top, yes, it's a retarded monkey. All seals should be joined at the bottom.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Geez sorry to hear this. I'm beginning to think RV'S are designed and built by retarded monkeys some days. SMH!! Was the gap at the top or the bottom. Because if it was at the top, yes, it's a retarded monkey. All seals should be joined at the bottom.
Haha my windows have a seal across the middle as well because when you open it only the bottom half opens upward. It was the middle seal.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
well the caulking was a failure, namely because it was cheap caulking that I had in my toolbox. I picked up some proper quality black silicone that I plan to use later this week.

Just so you can get an idea of the issue, the rubber strip is an inch too short on the left side allowing driving rain to run right on it. It is hard to detect and can easily be confused for condensation because the water that leaks in goes right into the frame and out the weep holes at the bottom. the problem is, it also comes inwards through the weep holes filling the window frame. The weep holes cannot do their job in the rain to run condensation out because they are too busy contending with the leaking water.

Does anyone have experience with this or a better method to fix rather than using silicone? I have already called all local RV dealers and they don't seem to carry the rubber seal :(

Tags
leak, window