Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Winnie Minnie vs Jayco White Hawk

Hi everyone. My wife and I currently have a Lance 1575 TT. We recently upgraded our tow vehicle and are looking to get a bigger camper. In particular, we like the floorplan with the two opposed slideouts with an island in the middle (rear bath).

We've been looking at the Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS, Winnebago Minnie 2351DKS, and Jayco White Hawk 24RDB. We are also considering the new Lance 2155 but I don't think the Lance is worth the additional expense.

At this point I think we've narrowed it down to the Jayco and the Winnebago with a slight lean towards the Jayco. We really like the interior decor of the Winnie better but the Jayco seems better appointed. Pricing on both is close enough to not be a factor.

Our current Lance is a 2014 and was our first TT so we are not complete newbies but certainly not experienced enough to be able to determine which is the better built product over the long term. As I research both it seems that most owners love what they bought. There are always a couple of people with problems that the same could be said for any product.

I would appreciate any input you guys and gals could provide on these two travel trailers. Is there something obvious that I'm missing or should really avoid? Any strong, educated opinions either way?

Thank you in advance.
jim223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a tough one....

I don't think you could go wrong with either unit.

The only complaint I've heard is that some find the rotating TV difficult to see once lying in bed.

I think you're just going to want to spend a little time in each unit. Tell the sales guy to plug it in and leave you alone for 30 minutes to an hour, and just play house for a bit in each.

For sure the winnie gets some points for looks, but we know Jayco makes some solid stuff...

If everything about the winnie fit and finish was solid looking to me.. I might lean on the styling a little.... they are pretty darn nice looking inside and out.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I've been looking at both Winnebago Ultra Lites and Jayco... in particular White Hawk TTs. My preference has finally come down to the Jayco because I believe the frame is made better than most... and isn't made by Lippert from what I understand. I can't speak to the Minnie because I haven't looked at them. My comparisons are between the Winnebago Ultra Lite 28ddbh and the Jayco White Hawk 28bhks. The White Hawk is currently in the lead, because of the frame and I can get 2 A/C units. Winnebago will not budge off of one unit only... but admittedly, I believe either would be a better trailer than my current one. Another factor is that the local dealers had quite a few of the Winnebago model but they sold them out quickly and didn't get any more of them... wazzup with that? I'd think that good selling RVs is what you'd want to stock...... From reading the threads on the Minnies... they seem to be good trailers with a loyal following. I wish you the best of luck with your choice... and as said before, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. I tend to suffer from "analysis paralysis" so input from others is always helpful. It gets frustrating when comparing units because none are perfect...there's a plus and a minus to each. If only we could meld them all into the one perfect unit!

I was lucky enough to find a dealer that has both units in stock. I hope to get there this week to compare both side by side.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Well, being the youngest of 10 kids, and having 5 older brothers... all of whom went bald by their 40th birthday... I'm amazed that at 64 I still have hair. I have to stop looking at new trailers once in a while to keep from tearing it out...

Best of luck on your search!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

We bought the Winnebago 2201DS last November and have been very pleased with the quality of the construction. So far, we have not had any warranty issues. We just got back from a 6 day trip to Lake Hartwell and had a ball.

Both of the trailers, you are looking at are very similar floor plans. The Winnebago has a 41 gallon gray water tank vs. 30 gallon for the Jayco. That will be a consideration if you camp without sewer hookups.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:00 AM   #7

I was able to find a dealer with both units in stock and compared them side by side. To me, the Winnebago is hands down the nicer unit of the two. I still wish it had some of the features of the Jayco but fit and finish of the interior is much nicer. My wife and I plan to spend a lot of time in our new camper so the "feel" of the interior is very important.

I ended up putting a deposit on the 2351DSK and will be picking it up on the 30th!

Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Congratulations. I think you made a good choice. Enjoy the new camper.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
In particular, we like the floorplan with the two opposed slideouts with an island in the middle (rear bath).
I like that floorplan too, but it's mostly a "couples" only unit. I do like the "build quality" of the Winnebago products, especially the cabinets. Looking inside storage areas you will see more premium wood where others you might see splintered wood, bark, split wood where a staple or nail caused it.

Where also looking to upgrade in the future (Winnebago, Arctic Fox, Bigfoot....) in the 26' to 30' length with bedding for 3 adults.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

We would have loved to step up to the 26' to 30' length but our tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee so the Minnie is as big as we could go. The Winnebago Ultralight 27RBDS would have been really nice but it's just too much trailer. And since it's just my wife and I, a "couple's trailer" is exactly what we wanted.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #11

Winnie Minnie vs Jayco White Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim223 View Post
We would have loved to step up to the 26' to 30' length but our tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee so the Minnie is as big as we could go. The Winnebago Ultralight 27RBDS would have been really nice but it's just too much trailer. And since it's just my wife and I, a "couple's trailer" is exactly what we wanted.

We towed a Coleman 192RDS (23' overall, ~5,400 lbs loaded) over 6k miles with a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter Hemi last year before upgrading to a F150 Ecoboost, then a bigger trailer a month ago. The only time the GC really struggled much was out West going uphill into a headwind. But the newer GC Hemis have more HP and torque I believe, than ours had.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, that is the one "I" like. The problem is, with our adult son, there is no dedicated sleeping spot other than the couch. And my wife will not budge on that !

Will like to see now your new Minnie arrives, if anything has to be taken care of when you take delivery.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #13

I used to tow a big boat with a GC and power is not the problem. The problem you run into is the weight and length of the GC compared to what you are towing. It is easy to get into trouble if the trailer starts rockin-n-rollin. A big heavy trailer will throw the GC around like a rag doll.

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #14

I take delivery on a White Hawk 27 DSRL. It's close for my GC Overland Summit the numbers say it will work. I'm going to try it on some short runs. If sway becomes an issue I'll switch to my Chevy 3500. (I haul a 2 car trailer with that). I like the GC but I'm thinking of switching it out in September for a 1500 pick up.
JimmyJet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco