Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Winter storage cover for outdoors

Howdy all...Have a 2016 Vision 19 which is about 21 feet total length.
Wanted to see what everybody uses for a cover, if at all to protect the camper from the elements. I am getting ready to winterize it and will not be using it until springtime. We get alot of snow up here in Maine and would be shoveling snow off of the roof if it accumulates a lot.
I am concerned with snow entering the vents of the A/C unit and setting in there. Mildew/mold/rot etc..concerns me. Want a cover that can "breathe."
What is the general consensus of covering up a camper in the wintertime? What brands are most popular? Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $200-$250.
Any recommendations or advice?
Another off the wall question...what is the purpose of covering up the wheels?
Thanks everybody.
Lee & Wendy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	108889  
cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
You cover the wheels to stop the UV from the sun rotting out the side walls.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Hey great, thanks!
Camper is parked on the side of my garage and is never in sunlight...guess I wont need to cover the wheels then.
I found a couple of full size covers on Amazon and Campers World. Just need to do some more research.
Lee & Wendy
cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

People go back and forth about covering there campers or not I use an rv cover only from middle of November till end of March and I use wheel covers when ever my TT is sitting. Just make sure cover is nice and snug on there so the wind doesn't blow it around and wear out your graphics. I just think it's not a good thing to have snow sitting on the roof continuing to melt and freeze just my opinion
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444229661.440289.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	108987
Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbleau6885 View Post
That looks like the ADCO all climate wind series we just bought . I was surprised it had a warning not to over tighten the tension straps as the seams might damage a rubber roof. I thought that the ability to tighten the straps to prevent movement was the selling point on their video? I guess there is a fine line? I have not installed ours yet as I want to wash the trailer before putting to bed. How tight do you tighten your top and bottom tension straps?
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
That looks like the ADCO all climate wind series we just bought . I was surprised it had a warning not to over tighten the tension straps as the seams might damage a rubber roof. I thought that the ability to tighten the straps to prevent movement was the selling point on their video? I guess there is a fine line? I have not installed ours yet as I want to wash the trailer before putting to bed. How tight do you tighten your top and bottom tension straps?

I keep them nice and snug where I keep it for the winter it out of the wind but I was very pleased with the cover i bought it last year and it held of great with the wild winter we had only had to rips near the entry steps I bought the life time warranty so after this winter I will bring it back for a new one for only 50 bucks

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

There is one line of thought that the cover will flap in the high winds and and damage the trailer. The flapping will put rub marks on the trailer. Also the trailer is built to be outside so no need to cover.

Then there is the line of thought that the cover will keep the trailer protected from snow, sun, ice, etc etc. There is no doubt in my mind that a cover is a good thing. It will help to keep it clean and keep it more protected then without one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage, winter