Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #1

Wintering a Trailer at RV park?

I'm a newbie to this list and thinking of buying a trailer to live in full time. My work is in the Baltimore, MD area and I would hopefully find an RV acceptable park with hookups nearby.
What are the issues I would face with wintering for the hookups, etc and freezing temps in the winter?
Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Like brand of Trailer that's winter proof, (I'm thinking of a towable 21-27')?
Possible costs of heating trailer?
That's a start.
Thanks.
lumpyhammock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #2

Here is what I know so far. Not in any particular order.

1. Travel trailers are not like a house. They are a lot more difficult to stay warm in winter.
2. Tractor Supply is the best place to buy propane.
3 You will want dual pane windows.
4. You will want 12v heading pads on the tanks.
5. I would pick a Lance trailer because they have a lower ceiling thus less space to heat. They are also one of the better insulated and might have dual pane windows standard. They are a big pricy.
6. Other people in the RV Park will have good ideas like electric tape on the water line.

People stay full time in Ohio so in Maryland it will be easier.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No such thing as a winter proof trailer. Even in the well built 4-season trailers, winters are difficult. You have to deal with freezing sewer drains, and water lines. Many northern campgrounds shut off the water in the winter.

AS for how much propane, you will use a lot. Most people will get one or two 125# cylinders as you will empty the 20 and 30# cylinders pretty often.

Another issue in the winter is condensation and a small trailer is worse than a big trailer. You have to have a certain amount of ventilation to get the moisture out of the trailer. Always run the vent fan when cooking and the shower fan when showering. Keeping a vent cracked open is a must to keep moisture under control.

We are full time and follow the weather. Our trailer is a 4-season, full time rated RV and we do not like weather below 45 degF. We have been in weather as low as 17 degF and below freezing for several days. Not my cup of tea.

I wish you luck on you adventures.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

Ken tells it like it is. In 40 degree weather my trailer runs the propane furnace 50% of the time. On for 3 minutes then off for 3 minutes then back on and off every 3 minutes as I timed it. The blower makes so much noise I could not sleep. Yes, I was miserable. The floor was cold and so was everything you would touch.

There are 3 trailers most people name as being insulated better than average. Outdoor RV with the closest dealer in Denver. Arctic Fox (Built similar to Outdoor RV) a dealer in Ohio and 1 in Pennsylvania.
And Lance.

But even these trailers are not like a house. They also get cold. Go to YouTube and search 'Winter in an RV'. You should see people camping in the cold.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

Thanks. Good info.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

Thank you for the info. A lot of research and pondering to come.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #7

Hey - we don't want to discourage you but want you to know what to expect. I think a Lance trailer would make it more doable because they have dual pane windows which it probably a big deal. They are also more insulated than most other trailers. The lower ceiling has to be easier to heat too.

There is a RV Park north of Columbus Ohio called Cross Creek that has winter camping. Baltimore Maryland is more temperate that Columbus Ohio. Also there is a Camp Ground in King George Virginia called Big Walnut that is open in the winter.

One thing surprised me on my 1st trailer. I left it in the Pennsylvania Mountains for two weeks in October with the thermostat set to 55 degrees. I had two full 30lb. propane tanks. An early snow was forecast so I went to get the trailer and instead of it being 55 degrees it was 35 degrees inside. It was out of propane. I had planned to stay in the trailer but not without propane. Lucky I could stay with a friend as it snowed 6" that night.

I stayed in that same trailer in the winter in Crystal River Florida in back to back 19 degree nights. Let the water drip and ran two electric heaters all night.

Again a Lance trailer would have been better but by how much I do not know.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #8

It's challenging enough for a seasoned trailer owner. I would suggest looking at another option. Compared to the travel trailers I've owned, it would be a lot easier with our Bay Star as it has better insulation and I get heat in the water bays. But, it would still burn quite a bit of propane, and managing the waste and water system would be a challenge.
There are heated hoses (have one I've never used) and I see that you would have to use the holding tanks for all wasted water. Then, hook up sewer hose and dump as needed. Then, make sure waste line is drained.

Also, you would have to find an RV park that has water and sewer available.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #9

Instead of a TT consider a tiny home or park model. Both will be built more like a real house with 2x4 stud walls, more insulation, real household appliances and WAY more living space.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

I 'm in the Baltimore metro area as well . Wintering in Baltimore is not a good idea. It will be challenging and not a leisurely or comfortable experience.
Yes it can be done but it will be a bit of a survival mission.
Those who full time follow moderate weather for a reason.
I would only spend winter in an RV in Baltimore out of necessity, I would not choose to winter in the Baltimore region there are better more practical options.
Lantley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

All good advice above!

Truth in advertising in the travel trailer industry is non-existent. It is nowhere near as good as buying a car or small truck.

Published statements like "All Season" or "Four Season" are advertising "fluff". They do not mean plumbing will work below 32 degrees F.

Cheap TT's are like gambling. You never know what you are going to get.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #12

For some reason I think of Baltimore as have more moderate winters because of the ocean I guess. Don't most days in the winter get above 32 degrees ? A cold spell is days and not weeks right?

I am thinking in King George Virginia 10 miles south of the Maryland border snow is rare.

Are there days in January that get as high as 50 to 60 degrees?

Now the problem is at night because there is 15 hours of dark.

I agree there will be days that you are trying to survive but a lot of days will be easy.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

I did not see anything about moving the trailer so if it is a permanent setup I would look at a park model.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

I would forget the trailers, and look into more of a tiny home. They are built with proper insulation, and vapor barrier, for full time living.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park, trailer, winter