Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

Winterization Question

I've always used the blow out method until now, but we're just dipping under 32 a couple of nights in between now an my next tow so I decided to use the pump in antifreeze method. I was going to just pump a bit into the bottom lines but was surprised how little antifreeze it took to fill all the lines. But now I have a question!

If you use the pump in antifreeze method, what's the protection for the line from where you connect to city water? Seems like that line would still be full of water. I wouldn't even have thought of that but for the need to pump antifreeze into the thingy that squirts around in the black tank.

Also, I'm sure trailers are different, but my city water is on the left rear, near the shower, and the water tank and pump are on the right middle. Where would the city water line connect in with the rest of the system?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Can you see the pipe ; inside the TT where the city water ties into the rest of the piping . You may have to pull a drawer .
Is your fresh plumbing , clear pex , you can see pink through the tube and if you can see pink near the city water connector, your fine .

Usual water pipe routing would go from the pump , past the city hook up , to the water heater and split for hot /cold supply , side by side pipe from there.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #3

I can't see the pipe. It's behind the shower. Also, my pipes are red and blue, although it's possible the unseen city water pipe is clear. The pipe coming from the water tank to the pump is clear.

Also here's another clue. There are only two lines running across the back of the trailer to the shower. I wonder if they backflow the city water through the cold line to the shower????
Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

Also here's another clue. There are only two lines running across the back of the trailer to the shower. I wonder if they backflow the city water through the cold line to the shower????
Anything to save a $ .

There is a backcheck valve in the city water hook up ; carefully push in on the center and see if pink comes out; if there is a debris washer in place , you'd have to remove it.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
There is a backcheck valve in the city water hook up ; carefully push in on the center and see if pink comes out; if there is a debris washer in place , you'd have to remove it.
Thank you--I'll check that out. Unfortunately I'm not at the trailer now.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #6

When I use air pressure to blow the water out of the lines I connect to the city water connection. This should take care of any water in that section of line.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
When I use air pressure to blow the water out of the lines I connect to the city water connection. This should take care of any water in that section of line.
That's what I've always done in the past, but my question is how is that section dealt with by people who don't blow out. But for having tried the other method that wouldn't have occurred to me to ask.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

One thing just occurred to me. I did first open the low point drains and then all the valves in the trailer (plus the outside shower). I then drove about 10 miles to storage. I wonder if that would have been enough to clear this line?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #9

Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use it to pump the pink stuff through the city water line. End of worries.

I found it helpful to put hose clamps on the tube coming out of the pump, as the pump can make more pressure than the friction fit can hold.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use it to pump the pink stuff through the city water line. End of worries..
I have one of those for the black tank sprayer thingy (what are those called)? But that I assume is fairly short. I have no idea how long this run is.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #11

Shouldn't matter the length of the line - open a faucet and slowly pump the pink stuff through. Once the air gurgles stop you know you have enough in there.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Shouldn't matter the length of the line - open a faucet and slowly pump the pink stuff through. Once the air gurgles stop you know you have enough in there.
But note the process I already did--the rest of the system is already filled because I didn't think of this part until I went to the black tank thingy. If I'd started with the city water port that would be another matter.

In the future what I'll probably do is blow it out while the low point drains are still open.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
But note the process I already did--the rest of the system is already filled because I didn't think of this part until I went to the black tank thingy. If I'd started with the city water port that would be another matter.

In the future what I'll probably do is blow it out while the low point drains are still open.

I don't see what the problem is...

Get another gallon of anti-freeze and pump it through. Open the closest faucet inside the coach - you'll first see the little bit of water come through, and then the pink stuff. Capture the water in a bucket so it doesn't go down the drain and dilute what's in the trap.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
I don't see what the problem is...

Get another gallon of anti-freeze and pump it through. Open the closest faucet inside the coach - you'll first see the little bit of water come through, and then the pink stuff. Capture the water in a bucket so it doesn't go down the drain and dilute what's in the trap.
The problem is I don't know whether I'm dealing with 2' of water in a pipe or 15-20' of water in a pipe. If the low point drains also drained that portion of the system I could be dealing with no water in the pipe. I really screwed up not starting at that point, but this was the first time I'd done full antifreeze--usually I blow it out and then run a little through the pump to protect the pump.

At this point I think the best thing might be to just blow it out using the toilet as the exit point. That way any water would just be diluted in the black tank with the antifreeze already there. This is just a two week thing before we head out again, and likely only a 2x freeze event. Or maybe just blow out the entire system except the exterior shower. That way I'd be ready to go when we leave next. If I start with the toilet that's where any water should go and I'd just be adding antifreeze to the traps and gray tank.

And thinking about it further, next time I'll probably blow that city water line to make sure it's empty, fill the entire system with antifreeze, then immediately blow out the entire system. That way I'd only have to add antifreeze to the traps if not very much antifreeze came out of the particular faucet. It would be an efficient use of antifreeze and leave me ready to go for the next trip.

Tags
winter