Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
I have been doing both for years now. Usually blow the lines with air after our last trip in late September, then later on the last part of October or just before the first freeze, add the antifreeze. There is always water forced out when the antifreeze is circulated thru the lines. Always have water come out all the faucets and low point drains even after blowing the lines. Don't completely trust just blowing air thru the system.
This is me too. I'm new to the whole process, so I researched the heck out of it to find out which way was better. Since opinions seemed to be split about 50-50, I did both.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #16

If I was not going to use my camper thru the winter, I would spend the extra money and fill the lines with antifreeze. We have pretty mild winters in Georgia and we take it out when the weather is nice. I can blow out the lines and put antifreeze in the traps using about 1/2 gallon. It takes me 2 gallons to fill the water lines and traps. I'll end up winterizing 5-6 times between now and Spring. I've got it down to about 15 minutes.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #17

I used to only use the antifreeze method and it would take approx two jugs. Now I use air first then only 1 jug of antifreeze. I dont do this to save $ 3 on a jug of antifreeze its just that after using air and I start to pump the antifreeze I shut each faucet off sooner because there is no water left to clear out.

Some use air only then pour antifreeze down the drains. They could pump that same antifreeze through the lines to go down the drains and kill two birds.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfountain View Post
This is my first time to winterize a camper and I have a question. When you winterize do you blow air through the water lines and if so how much water would typically come out. I have drained my fresh tank and water heater and then put about 40 psi through the water lines with all the taps open and didn't really get any water at all. I have also put antifreeze in all the pee traps and commode. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks for your help.
https://www.reserveamerica.com/outdo...rize-an-rv.htm

Just follow the instructions - wet or dry. .

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #19

I did the blow out the lines method and poured some RV antifreeze in drains and toilet. I also just took the water pump and some lines out to keep in house.

drained the Water Heater adn two low point drains. after moving the unit to my storage area opened the LPD and got a little more water out.

To me the best way to prevent pump damage is to take it out.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
I did the blow out the lines method and poured some RV antifreeze in drains and toilet. I also just took the water pump and some lines out to keep in house.

drained the Water Heater adn two low point drains. after moving the unit to my storage area opened the LPD and got a little more water out.

Seeing as you are using antifreeze anyways why not run it through your pump and lines to get to the drains and toilet? Would be easier then removing the pump wouldn't it?
Is it because you drink tap water and dont want the taste of antifreeze?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

Not sure what kind of MH you have but you shouldn't have to remove the pump. If some reason you don't have a convenient place to hook onto the inlet side of your pump then you will have to expose the pump and do it there. You already have it off I would put it back on and suck some pink stuff in thru it and pump it into your fixtures lift up on your toilet flush too. Pour more into your drains And then open your black and grey drains so any diluted antifreeze doesn't sit in them and freeze.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
why would you blow out the lines if you are going just fill them back up with AF? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Well LarryJB. Let me explain our set up & why I do it the way I do it so hopefully you'll understand.
On our little 26sab, they put a docking station on it with the city water fill & tank fill together with a lever. There is no gravity fill for the water tank.
So when it comes time to winterize, after of course draining the hot water tank & putting it on bypass, I hook the air compressor up and blow as much water out as I can thru the city water side one faucet at a time plus the low point drains. That is done after the last trip.
Then in late October or just before 1st freeze as mentioned, I have to use an extra electric pump I have, that I use to get water into the fresh water tank when boondocking, use it to pump some antifreeze into the FW tank so the in house water pump can suck antifreeze up that line and into itself and distribute some thru the lines. Then I drain the extra antifreeze from the FW tank. I then switch the lever and pump antifreeze thru the city water side while I'm at it and thru the outside shower & black tank clean line.

Footnote. In the cabinet where they put the in house pump, there's a cobweb of hoses in there, there is no way I can get to the pump to hook up a hose to winterize it that way.
This setup is an engineering marvel.
So LarryJB that's what I do. Takes me less than an hour to get er done and only a gallon of antifreeze.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds good campnfool.
I am just learning all this stuff. It doesn't get below freezing very often where I live and so far I have not trusted what I have done to winterize, so every time the forecast calls for below freezing temps, I have turned on the furnace. (this has only been about 4 or 5 night this year). We are planning a Christmas trip, and then after that I think it will set idle until March or April. So when we get back from that, I will work at doing all these things being suggested here.
Thanks for all the input. Very good stuff!
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter