Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

Winterizing Question

I purchased a Grand Design reflection travel trailer earlier this year what is the best method of winterizing?

I previously owned a class A and blew out the water and did not have any issues, is this sufficient?

Should I put a small heater in the unit to keep it aired?

I live in the Pacific North West and although it is very wet it usually does not get too cold.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:08 AM   #2

I live in North Texas and we've had RVs since 2001. That is always my method of winterizing our Cardinal fifth wheel (blowing the lines out). We get down into the teens and single-digits frequently. And, I'll pour a cup or so of RV anti-freeze down each of the drains in case water is caught in the P-traps.

Only problem I've ever had was the valve into the toilet when I forgot to open that during the blowing out. It cracked the plastic valve - $30 to replace it myself...TWICE.

Now I've learned.

When the forecast calls for temperatures below about 25 or 26, then I'll frequently set the furnace on 45 or 50 degrees just to keep things in our pantry from freezing.

We are fortunate and keep our RV here at home with electricity hooked up to it at all times.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

I would do the same as you did with the motorhome.

For me, I always use the water pump to pump anti-freeze thru the system. When I see pink I know for sure there is no water left to freeze.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #4

I live in the pacific northwest as well an hate the moisture.. I purchased a remote thermostat from Granger that I hang on the drawer hook and plug in a small electric heater set at 40*...

I like that fact that its extra protection for the pipes that have been drained, blown down and left open with the hot water heater... but I also like to keep the moisture out of the unit.. the small electric heat seems to keep the moisture level down..
Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the info

I was just going to go the blow it out route but then had some bad news and will be away for an extended period of time in Dec/Jan so I went with the blow and antifreeze method.

I have also put a small electric heater with thermostat in and a dehumidifier with a direct drain to try and avoid moisture issues.

Thanks again
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Here in Ohio, use the pink stuff.... cheap insurance.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter