Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #1

Winterizing Question

Hi All,
Storing my new trailer for winter (this will be my first time) and I have a question. Is there a trap in the toilet that needs antifreeze like the sinks have? Or ...does the toilet dump right into the holding tank and antifreeze is not needed. I know I could just look and follow the drain from the toilet but the bottom side of the entire trailer is covered with a "cold weather package" and pulling it down would be a big job. Thanks in advance.
gfbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

It should dump straight into the black tank.
When done for the season, and after draining both the black, and grey tanks, I add a half bottle of drain valve lubricant to each. Then I add a half jug of antifreeze to each tank. This keeps the valves lubricated. Also add a cup or so of antifreeze to the toilet to keep those seals from drying out as well.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

Make sure to drain the hot water tank. Also pay close attention to the winterization valve position, like the hot water bypass valve. Now next spring these valves will need to be turned back to their original position.

To winterize my drains I just run the faucet a little longer to make sure I have antifreeze in the traps.

The toilet just drops down into the black tank so no trap there.

Drain the low point drains. Don't forget tye outside shower if you have one.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:40 AM   #4

Be sure to winterize your outside shower.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #5

The toilet should dump directly into the tank. No trap. Dump a little antifreeze in the bowl to keep the seal lubed. Others will be able to tell you more than I can because I'm a full timer and when it starts to get cold I head for Edinburg, Tx.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #6

When adding the pink antifreeze, disconnect the line from the fresh water tank and use a short hose so the pump can suck the antifreeze out of the Jug. Don't pour the antifreeze into the fresh tank. It will take forever to get it out in the spring.
Before you start open all the valves and drains to get most of the water out. Be sure to flush the toilet when pumping the antifreeze .
Old 10-05-2020, 05:43 AM   #7

Be sure to bypass the water heater. No need to put anti freeze in there.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #8

RV dealers have no morals. Case in point - I see a place in Ohio (Ron Potts RV) advertise winterizing for $160. What a RIP off. If you do it yourself you can do it for under $20. That includes the kit if you need it. Else it costs $9.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #9

Correction - the winterization special is now $130. So now you only save $110 dollars in 20 minutes if you winterize the trailer yourself.

Question - how important is it to ask when buying a travel trailer to see how you winterize it. I had a 5th wheel with a panal I had to remove to get to the winterization valves. It took awhile to figure that out.

I see some travel trailers that have a separate place to pump in the antifreeze.

I bought the kit that attaches to my water pump to pump in the antifreeze.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last year I installed a winterizing kit in the father in-laws trailer, $17 cad for the kit 45 min job removing panels etc. This past weekend, I winterized for him. After blowing out lines (less dilution) it took 1 gal of anti-freeze and 20 mins from start to finish to get pink everywhere needed. So for the $7 cad for the anti-freeze and the couple beers I wrangled out him...he's winterized.

That being said, it's a smaller trailer no outside shower etc, so even if 2 gallon are needed...$14 cad..and maybe a another beer or two.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #11

I bought a lot of rv antifreeze this summer it was on clearance at wally world for $0.50/gallon so i am set for the next few years lol. A dollar a year is pretty cheap. I am fairly confident I will actually need less than 2 full gallons.
Pdx camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #12

Maybe....maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbohn View Post
Hi All,
Storing my new trailer for winter (this will be my first time) and I have a question. Is there a trap in the toilet that needs antifreeze like the sinks have? Or ...does the toilet dump right into the holding tank and antifreeze is not needed. I know I could just look and follow the drain from the toilet but the bottom side of the entire trailer is covered with a "cold weather package" and pulling it down would be a big job. Thanks in advance.
The answer to your question depends on what type of toilet you have. Many (most?) RVs have the simple toilet where you open the bottom gate and it's "bombs away" into the black tank. For this type, just make sure to drain/winterize the water inlet on the commode.

When design constraints force the RV designer to place the toilet in some location that is not directly on top of the black tank (e.g. bathroom in rear), then they add some sort of waste conveyance system in the form of a macerator. This grinder chews up the TP and solids and pumps it some distance before it dumps into the black tank. Since this involves motors and pipes, it's a good idea to dump a bit of antifreeze down the hatch as part of the winterization process.
JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #13

HI, has anyone just blown out the pipes with compressed air and called it good? I mean not putting in any anti-freeze? Or are there low points where water could still collect and freeze. Up here in West. Wash. - Seattle area-it doens't get too cold, but does freeze once in a while. thanks, John
john foose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #14

Only one way to find out.

For less than $10 you can buy enough RV antifreeze to be sure.

And how long does it take to make sure you have all lines blown out?

There are guys that swear by blowing out the lines that they never havd a problem.

There are guys that blow out the lines plus add antifreeze because the ac antifreeze does not get diluted.

Me - I like the pink stuff and see for 100% sure all the lines have antifreeze in them. Takes me 15 minutes this year.

Blowing out the lines - cam you get 100% of the water out of the lines and what if the lines are wacky up and down with a few loops. Will water remind in the line and coagulate at the bottom of a loop? Who knows?

Tags
winter