Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

Question Wireless back up camera for pull trailer

has anyone used a back up camera for a pull trailer like the ones on the back of motorhomes? I just bought a 25ft trailer to pull behind a 2014 jeep grand cherokee and would like to have a camera installed on the back of the trailer. Any ideas ?
ian pelham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your project.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

I bought a system similar to this one & mounted it high on my camper & wired it into the clearance lights. Extended the wiring system to mount the receiver antenna to the front of the Camper so the receiver in the cab screen could pick up the signal. Worked great & let me see out the rear of the truck & camper very clearly. Plan on transferring to my new trailer when I get it. My chum did the same thing on his 5th wheel trailer & worked great.
Just turn on the running lights & the camera comes on.
Amazon.com: Peak PKC0BU7 (7'&#39 Wireless Back-up Camera Kit: Automotive

Reg
Old 04-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

Bought hardwired from Costco, works real good. It's only available online!
rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

I'm towing a 30 foot TT, and I installed one of the Voyager WVOS511 wireless cameras. On the pricey side (~$600) but works great. No interference issues at all in 3 trips with it so far. It is digital and pairs the camera and monitor together to keep interference away. I think if you go wireless you're going to have to pay for the expensive digitally paired type otherwise you risk poor performance. If you read the reviews on the Peak one mentioned above, you'll see the potential issues. Wired ones I'm sure are more reliable, but this was way easier to install (I did it myself and I am no McGyver).

There was another one someone on another thread posted which is this one:

Safesight SC9002D Universal 7 inch LCD Monitor and Heavy Duty Commercial RV Back Up CCD Digital Wireless Camera System w No Interference Guaranteed

Looks good too, but not sure how you mount it in the tow vehicle. Mine has a suction cup for the windshield.

This is the other thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wire...ne-194276.html

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

I have a two camera setup on my truck and boat trailer. I purchased the monitor and camera's from Visor View. Relatively cheap. I didn't want the wireless because I heard too many issues with interference. I also needed the camera's to be extremely water proof since they were going on my boat trailer. Visor View reassured me that they would replace the camera's if they ever had an issue. The camera's are small and feel really well built. I have had the setup for about 7+ years and transferred the camera from one boat trailer to my newest boat trailer. I upgraded my truck stereo to one with two video inputs and removed the monitor that came with the Visor View kit.

The camera's are on their own power source. When I turn on the truck, the camera(s) get power. When I had the monitor, I just turned on the power when I wanted to see behind me and was able to change the source camera from the monitor. Now that I have the better stereo in my truck, I am able to select the truck camera from the screen (backup camera) and the boat trailer is on the AV in source. I have the wire/plug that plugs into the boat camera sitting up behind my rear bumper. When I hook up the boat trailer, I just plug in that cable.

I am purchasing a new travel trailer and will just buy another camera for it. Then I will be able to see behind the trailer anytime I like.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

Have you read the towing manual for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee? It has a ~20 Sq Foot Frontal Area Limit .

From the 2014 towing guide, page 21:

RESTRICTION: Trailer frontal area limitation of 5.94 sq metres; maximum trailer length of 9 metres (Class IV); Trailer Sway Control and low-profile mirrors are recommended. This chart is meant to serve as a quick and easy reference guide on how to properly equip your Jeep ® Grand Cherokee for towing.

5.94 meters is 19.46 feet. That's like a 5X4 area. Most full height travel trailers are twice that.

While the JGC can have a 6200 lb tow limit, the frontal area limit rules out most full height travel trailers.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

According to google, One square meter is 10.7639104 square feet. So, 5.94 square meters is actually almost 64 square feet, which is about 8'x8'.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
According to google, One square meter is 10.7639104 square feet. So, 5.94 square meters is actually almost 64 square feet, which is about 8'x8'.
You're right. I left off the sq part when I googled it.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
You're right. I left off the sq part when I googled it.

No worries, and sorry if that came across as rude/blunt. I truly appreciate the way people watch out for each other on this forum, and that's what you were doing, trying to make sure someone did not get themselves in trouble!

I'm very interested in some kind of rear camera for my 28' travel trailer. I would love to find something that was wireless, cheap and WORKED! I'd easily spend $100-$200, but the $600 price tags are hard to cost justify when the wife can stand in my mirror view and signal me left, right and stop. Good luck!
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Dan, I mainly want to use the camera to see what is behind the travel trailer while I'm driving down the road. Even though I have installed extended mirrors I can not see directly what's behind me. I don't like to hold up traffic, so if I can see what is behind me I can pull over and let them pass. I think it will also help when I'm changing lanes on the interstate. My wife and I have a good system when we back into a camp site using our cell phones.
ian pelham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian pelham View Post
Dan, I mainly want to use the camera to see what is behind the travel trailer while I'm driving down the road. Even though I have installed extended mirrors I can not see directly what's behind me. I don't like to hold up traffic, so if I can see what is behind me I can pull over and let them pass. I think it will also help when I'm changing lanes on the interstate. My wife and I have a good system when we back into a camp site using our cell phones.
I have the Voyager WVOS511, came with the trailer. It has audio on the rear camera and good field of vision. I have found myself looking at the monitor more then the mirrors & the wife when backing up. With a 5.6 monitor I would not put it on the windshield while driving down the road (besides being illegal in Ca.), too much trouble to do it when backing up so I am going to find a way to put it on the dash when I want to use it. I also have an IBALL hitch back up camera that works well when hooking up. If you plan on using a back up camera while driving, check the motorhome forums for feed back.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
cwf

I installed an RVS system. 4 cameras, wired. Flawless!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hello, you want to know about backup cameras . I use two on my 1992 Holiday Rambler 32 foot travel trailer one is connected so that it works as a backup camera the other I wired to stay on as an observation camera. I purchased mine from Advanced Auto they are made by Peak and I called the company and told them what I was doing and they sent me the wire so it was long enough to run to the hookup at the back of the pull truck. Ican not remember what they charged me for the wires for both cameras but it was not a lot. Mine work fine and several friends have asked me to help install on their campers. I am actually thinking about moving the backup camera to the cent of the camper and installing a third one so I will have a left and right observation cameras for better views of what is behind me . I also had a friend to figure how to hook them up to a laptop so I turn them on and they both will be on the same screen and when using the backup it comes on the same screen also so I will have three different views when backing.
WILLIE C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera