Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Wobble Wobble in our new Open Range!

Hello All,

We just purchased a new Open Range TT 274RLS. We previously owned a 2001 Terry TT, which my husband purchased new. Our old trailer had been driven down a few rough roads in its time and had gotten a bit wobbly in its old age, meaning that when you walked around in it the trailer vibrated more.

We figured our new trailer would resolve that problem, but incredibly...it's worse! We aren't new to RVing and have checked everything we know to check: stabilizer jacks all the way down, on a level site, extra stabilizers between tires, etc.

Here's the question: anyone else have this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it and how?

Our stabilizers are electric and we noticed another OR owner tightening a bolt on his jacks when he set up, but he left before we could talk to him. We found the bolt and tried tightening it, but it didn't fix the problem. We will talk to the dealer and perhaps Open Range also. They have shut down their owner's forum (WHY???), so I thought I'd try here first.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Cari Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #2

We have the Lippert electric stab. jacks in our new TT. They are VERY disappointing. Our TT rocks, rolls and bounces like crazy. Our old 20' trailer on manual jacks was rock solid in comparison.

If you look at the rear of jacks while someone walks up and down the stairs, you will see how much they flex and move around. Very poor design IMO. Nothing you do with them themselves. The only thing you can do is to add stabilizers to the stabilizers. Take a look at the Steadyfast Stabilizers or BAL lock arm stabilizers.

http://http://www.steadyfast.com/howitworks.html

http://http://norcoind.com/bal/produ.../lockarm.shtml

These reportedly work well but have not yet tried them yet.

About the only other thing you can do besides X-chocks is using bottle jacks under the frame just ahead of the axles.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari Z View Post
Hello All,

We just purchased a new Open Range TT 274RLS. We previously owned a 2001 Terry TT, which my husband purchased new. Our old trailer had been driven down a few rough roads in its time and had gotten a bit wobbly in its old age, meaning that when you walked around in it the trailer vibrated more.

We figured our new trailer would resolve that problem, but incredibly...it's worse! We aren't new to RVing and have checked everything we know to check: stabilizer jacks all the way down, on a level site, extra stabilizers between tires, etc.

Here's the question: anyone else have this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it and how?

Our stabilizers are electric and we noticed another OR owner tightening a bolt on his jacks when he set up, but he left before we could talk to him. We found the bolt and tried tightening it, but it didn't fix the problem. We will talk to the dealer and perhaps Open Range also. They have shut down their owner's forum (WHY???), so I thought I'd try here first.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!
I just logged into the owners forum and it is working just fine. I'm sure that someone there will be able to help you rather quickly. By the way, the OR owners forum is not operated by OR. It is 100 percent owner operated and maintained.
Greengas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

We had the same issue on our 30 foot new trailer. But with some investigation we went with the X-Chocks. They fit between the wheels and take 5 minutes to setup, if that.

We have not had any complaints with the trailer movement since we got these.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5

Thank You Everyone!

Thanks for all the tips - we do already have x-chocks and they didn't help much. I checked this weekend and we do have Lippert electric jacks, so I will be checking out the links for some other options.

Thanks for the tip on the owner's forum - that is good to know!

Cari Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

We have shocks on our TT and found that adding an extra set of manual jacks in front of the wheels took the bounce out. We have all manual jacks and the x-chocks.
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That was the reason I ordered my 2013 tt with the old hand crank up jacks. That is my sons job to "crank them up or down".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

we have always complained about the bounce on our TT even with manual stabilizers down. After hearing some suggestions from the forums decided to try jacks in front of the axles. TT was a 100% better, felt rock solid, best upgrade to date.
Ktimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its most likely the way and location that your TT manufacturer installed them, not the product itself.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote