Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Working remote from a TT

Anyone doing this and care to share any advice?

I have been planning to get a TT to keep in a long term spot in FL as a getaway I will spend a lot of time at in retirement. I am early 60s now.

I have been converted to full time remote and told I can stay remote if I want when they start bringing other people back in. This could move up my time table. I may go ahead and get one next year. But if I do, when I go down to spend big chunks of time there, I will need to work. A bench seat at a camper table won't cut it.

I have looked at some floor plans and a few seem doable. I will almost always be solo, so have the master area be more of an office is workable if there is a reasonable secondary place to sleep. Anyway, experience and thoughts welcome...
ReachDaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 03:48 AM   #2

You planning on a travel trailer or 5th wheel or drivable? My wife worked remote in our 5th wheel for 18 months. She bought a small desk and chair that we set up in the back of a rear living area 5th wheel. Her employer was in Indiana and we moved between Florida and Pennsylvania. We used a 4G Verizon jet pack for internet which was just ok. Now with 5G that would be a lot better.

Now they make 5th wheels with a mid bunk that you could easily turn into an office. I would think about removing the RV furniture and buying a desk and chair.

In a travel trailer they make opposing slide outs in the back of a bunk room model. That gives even more room to create and office. Remove the RV furniture and add your own.

I am not sure of floor plans of drivable RV's but they probably have floor plans that you could modify.

Now I know you do not want to get stuck in the north during winter so you should plan on moving north and south.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You planning on a travel trailer or 5th wheel or drivable? My wife worked remote in our 5th wheel for 18 months. She bought a small desk and chair that we set up in the back of a rear living area 5th wheel. Her employer was in Indiana and we moved between Florida and Pennsylvania. We used a 4G Verizon jet pack for internet which was just ok. Now with 5G that would be a lot better.

Now they make 5th wheels with a mid bunk that you could easily turn into an office. I would think about removing the RV furniture and buying a desk and chair.

In a travel trailer they make opposing slide outs in the back of a bunk room model. That gives even more room to create and office. Remove the RV furniture and add your own.

I am not sure of floor plans of drivable RV's but they probably have floor plans that you could modify.

Now I know you do not want to get stuck in the north during winter so you should plan on moving north and south.
Thanks for all the info!

I am planning on a travel trailer in a long term spot with WiFi. Backup for that would be a Verizon phone with hotspot. Most of what I do is remote controlling my work computer using Windows RDP which is a built-in app that does surprisingly well without a lot of bandwidth. But we use MS Teams for meetings and it is far less tolerant of slow connections.

I won't need a huge amount of space. I will probably get an all in one 27" PC. though I might go 22" with a second monitor because I am so used to that. But a real chair and keyboard at the right height are must haves.

I have seen some floor plans with a wide bunk in a back corner that look promising. I am not sure how simple removing the furniture is.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #4

Haven't done it myself, but I've run across s few that have said ripping out a bunk and making an office was pretty easy. I believe their are some videos on YouTube.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Haven't done it myself, but I've run across s few that have said ripping out a bunk and making an office was pretty easy. I believe their are some videos on YouTube.
Great suggestion; I wasn't finding as much in the way of DIY economical ideas in my general searches. Seeing the before/after does make me wonder if it would make me crazy to sit under a bunk; I am not a tall person. One of my kids has a desk under bunk set up in his room. He's a little taller than me now and still uses it. It's a true double bed though and may be a little higher than standard; not sure.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Keystone Cougar has a mid-bunk TT that would probably work for you. Can remove the bunk and the trifold to put in a desk...
BigDawgBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

Here is a big heavy Rockwood with the backroom with opposing slides in the back. This is kind of extreme as I would want a 350/3500 series truck to pull this. But gives you an idea of the opposing slides in the back. Skip to the 8 minute mark to skip the hubbub about the most of the trailer but if your are brand new to RV's this is good to watch.

The Rockwood Signature is a top of the line travel trailer. Flagstaff Classic models are identical.

https://youtu.be/XLahmfd70UM
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote