Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #1

Worm Holes or Scrap Wood?

I recently purchased a 2021 Wolf Pup TT. There were many 1/8" holes that looked like they were drilled in the wood cabinets. The manufacturer said these were worm holes and they are normal. Worm holes or scrap wood?
wcevansjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pictures are worth a thousand words. If available maybe attach. There are some wood used in cabinetry and furniture that has worm holes in it for looks.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
They may be worm holes but the main thing is are they active? If you see and fine powder around the wood, they may still have active powder post beetles. There have been reported instances of RVs delivered with the beetles in the woodwork.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My previous response about some wood has worm holes and considered normal and I will add many feel it adds character to the wood. Having said that, those holes were in the wood prior to the cabinet or piece of furniture was built. There are even web sites that instruct you on how to create faux worm holes. Any actual worm holes afterwards would be an infestation and I would not consider it normal in anyway.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Hopefully the wood has been kiln dried. That kills any insects that are in the wood.

As far as people liking the looks of it, I have a tough time liking holes that shouldn't be there.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #6

Having been in the wood butchery business I second Unplanned Tourist. I don't care if they're dead, it's still firewood IMHO. Do you think the guy that paid me $150 per lineal foot for just the crown moulding around the tops of the even more expensive cabinets I built for him woulda bought that dog and pony show line of "that's normal"?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did a little searching on the matter. Wow. There are two levels of potential damage! I have always seen the woodworm damage on furniture that is many times added to give it a more antique look. Really very small holes that just look like someone took an ice pick to the wood. After seeing attached on YouTube, they actually can be quite destructive and would consider anything but normal if happened after the RV was built.

Youtube link:
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Where are you folks located to have a worm problem?
Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Where are you folks located to have a worm problem?
The only place I can think of that wouldn't have a worm problem is Antarctica! Not a very big forest there.

Wood worms of one type or another are all over the world, that's why only kiln dried wood is allowed to be imported.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Imported

?? We don't have enough?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
?? We don't have enough?
Hey, I'm in Canada Eh? Export lumber to the US is BIG for us. You guys won't take a stick until it's been through a kiln!

We do ship a lot of raw logs to Asia. So who knows what they send back to you?

Sorry about getting off topic.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #12

worm

Your are still in the topic, which brings me to ask. I have been on a few RV forums for quite some time and this is the first post I have read regarding wormholes. I honestly believe some folks worry about the darndest things.

Tags
scr