Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #1

Would you recommend a 2nd Spare Tire??

Just bought a Jayco 212QBW TT (dual axle, Rocky Mountain, BAJA, Western edition) last summer and will be touring out west and maybe into Canada this summer. My mechanic back home in NJ who tows a lot of utility trailers (cars, etc.) said I should get a 2nd spare tire. As I was asking why, I realized that if something takes out one tire, the other adjacent tire might be taken out as well, leaving you one spare and SOOL.

From your experience, is that likely? Should I buy a 2nd spare and strap it on the back bumper to be sure I'll back on the road quickly? I should say that this TT comes with some pretty good tires: Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT LT225/75R16 radials.
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #2

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Fellow RVer, if it gives you piece of mind by all means get a second spare especially if you will be traveling remote areas. Forty years of RVing I personally have never had a need for a second spare. I’m guessing but if you find yourself requiring two spare tires something else is going to be damaged and you’ll need a tow truck.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

Not a terrible idea but I'd carry it in the bed of the truck. You might lose the rear bumper and both spares otherwise.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Not many downsides except weight but I wouldn't bother. I fo carry a plug kit and compressor though.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #5

Me, too. In 40+ years of towing different car trailers, IIRC I have had 3 tire failures, but just one where the second tire on that side needed replacement (internal visible damage only, the tire didn't disintegrate). Once I began carrying 2 spares there has never been a tire failure .

If you have good tires to begin the trip, and they are not near their end of life date (7 years), then the decision for a second spare is mainly about peace of mind. Or, if you will, a "belt & suspenders" concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Fellow RVer, if it gives you piece of mind by all means get a second spare especially if you will be traveling remote areas. Forty years of RVing I personally have never had a need for a second spare. I’m guessing but if you find yourself requiring two spare tires something else is going to be damaged and you’ll need a tow truck.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a dual axle car hauler trailer. I was carry a heavy load of rough lumber to the kiln. I had checked all the tire pressures and tires before I left. On the second load, flat road, the rear passenger side tire blew, the tire disintegrated. Luckily I was able to immediately pull off the road, if not I might have damaged the other tire on that side as it was hitting the fender well, the springs swiveled on a pin but with essentially no tire it allowed the front tire to be pushed up. Luckily I had a spare.

I don't carry 2 because I only use the trailer for fairly close hauls. If I were going on an extended trip I would consider carrying 2 spares.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are running the Chinese "China Bombs" I would feel more comfortable with a 2nd spare. See too many with blow outs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a six month old trailer that blew out two tires at the same time. 10 miles east of Winnemucca Nevada in the desert where it was 100 degrees.

They were Goodyear tires that had a recall on them. I had gone to a couple Goodyear dealers before the trip and they said the tires were fine. Checked the tire pressure every morning with no problems.

Les Schwab came out from Winnemucca and changed the tires right there along the interstate. Went on into town and had them replace the other two tires....need less to say with their brand and NOT Goodyear. I've been a Les Schwab fan ever since

Discovered the Goodyear tires had a big bulge in the sidewall on the one that wasn't totally destroyed. I also learned to carry more and bigger fire extinguishers from that experience. The tires were smoking by the time I got stopped so I sprayed them with the tiny RVIA approved fire extinguisher.

What a joke those are. I now carry five fire extinguishers.

Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Not many downsides except weight but I wouldn't bother. I fo carry a plug kit and compressor though.

X2 on the plug kit and compressor , I also carry a spare tire and a truck size aerosol can of Fix-a-flat for slow leaks.
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #10
IC2

Unless you are doing a bunch of off road driving or maybe are on the way to Alaska, just a food set of tires and a single matching spare of about the same age is normally all you need. The usual junk that trailer manufacturers use are not what I call quality. Carrying a plug kit and compressor are fine if you have a simple nail puncture but my run of tire failures has historically been a jagged piece of iron and a big gash which in turn trashes a tire. We have 28K on our current 5er and the only flat to date was a valve that failed as we were pulling our driveway last year ago after an extended trip and is the same kind of failure we had a few years back with the previous 5er - which reminds me that I need to change the other 3 valves before we take off again.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #11

You probably won't experience a blowout but what is a common problem for trailer towing is to get a puncture and loss of pressure and you don't know about it because you can't feel it back there. Then you're riding on a flat for who knows how long until your tire disintegrates and wipes out your wheel well. It's more important to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) so you can catch it in time. Then if you have a repair kit and a Viair 12v portable compressor you'll be OK.

I think you'll be OK in southern BC but if you go up north a second spare wouldnt be a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
Just bought a Jayco 212QBW TT (dual axle, Rocky Mountain, BAJA, Western edition) last summer and will be touring out west and maybe into Canada this summer. My mechanic back home in NJ who tows a lot of utility trailers (cars, etc.) said I should get a 2nd spare tire. As I was asking why, I realized that if something takes out one tire, the other adjacent tire might be taken out as well, leaving you one spare and SOOL.

From your experience, is that likely? Should I buy a 2nd spare and strap it on the back bumper to be sure I'll back on the road quickly? I should say that this TT comes with some pretty good tires: Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT LT225/75R16 radials.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
It's more important to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) so you can catch it in time. Then if you have a repair kit and a Viair 12v portable compressor you'll be OK...
I will look into a TPMS and a patch kit. I have a Viair 12v portable compressor already.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Doesn't sound like a 2nd spare makes sense, given the odds.
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #13

Odds are you can get a spare at most any farm and ranch store or even most big box stores in an emergency. I wouldn't pack a second one. Vair is right on and will probably fix 90% of your flat/low tires until you can get to the tire store to have it fixed correctly. TPMS can be a trip saver if it saves a blowout.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #14

Ive seen a few situations where one tire takes out the other. It doesnt take long at all for this to happen. I probably wouldnt go out of my way to get a 2nd spare, but say youre getting all new tires, id probably throw one on a steel wheel just in case instead of tossing it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote