Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #1

A portable generator that will last 3000 hours

Does anyone have first hand experience of getting atleast 3000 hours on a portable generator?

I need a portable genny for our off grid property and we are traveling right now so I'd like portable. I'd like about 2000w to 2800w, small-ish, 1 gallon for 8 to 10 hrs or so.

My yamaha 2200w has under a 500 hours and it died. I have had it for 5 years and mainly used it this year. We are full time off grid now. It had regular oil changes every 100 to 150 hrs using mobile1, (changed every other monday).

I went the costco route for returns sake on our larger gen, but my first Firman lasted 6 months 880 hrs, I returned it. I ordered the second one and it was cracked at the motor mount. #3 lasted a month, #4 arrived with broken plastic air intake box, bent gas tank, etc issues. So after hauling these 3500w inverters around the property and to costco I got sick of it.

I called a company that makes and installs remotes on generators to get a quote on adding a remote to a 3500w or larger Honda that had a starter. He said that Hondas don't see more than 3000 hours these days. They sure are proud of them too - and they don't have any bells or whistles like Champion (remote, hour meter, parallel compatible, digital readouts, quick oil drain hose out of the engine block vs a plug, etc for half the price). He said champion can do that much also, but its hit or miss if you get a bad one. He was encouraged by contractors who use the Predator clones and thought the gamble may be worth it. I saw good things said about generac and westinghouse on Amazon, but no one with large hours - just those for occasional blackouts.

What brand do you have and how many hours are you at? I bet there are people out there that live off grid. It will also be a backup genny to our solar system I'm building this summer.

If I don't need to buy a Honda I won't mind saving money. I did see a A-Ipower brand genny at Costco that uses the yamaha engine, atleast then I would have the ability to return it and save $500 over a Honda. With a small genny returning it wouldn't suck vs those big 3800w gennys . If I get a Honda the return or refund policy will probably be really bad vs costco. I would probably have to wait months for a repair or pay hundreds to ship it for repairs.
Specs for the A-Ipower -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9N8SD7...929XZP7CNJM203

I have read on forums an Onan will last 20k to 25k hours. They aren't portable, but maybe a 2800 would be good once we make it back to our property this summer.

Thanks guys
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #2

I've heard good things about the preditor gen from harbor freight.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewfish View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience of getting atleast 3000 hours on a portable generator?

I need a portable genny for our off grid property and we are traveling right now so I'd like portable. I'd like about 2000w to 2800w, small-ish, 1 gallon for 8 to 10 hrs or so.

My yamaha 2200w has under a 500 hours and it died. I have had it for 5 years and mainly used it this year. We are full time off grid now. It had regular oil changes every 100 to 150 hrs using mobile1, (changed every other monday).

I went the costco route for returns sake on our larger gen, but my first Firman lasted 6 months 880 hrs, I returned it. I ordered the second one and it was cracked at the motor mount. #3 lasted a month, #4 arrived with broken plastic air intake box, bent gas tank, etc issues. So after hauling these 3500w inverters around the property and to costco I got sick of it.

I called a company that makes and installs remotes on generators to get a quote on adding a remote to a 3500w or larger Honda that had a starter. He said that Hondas don't see more than 3000 hours these days. They sure are proud of them too - and they don't have any bells or whistles like Champion (remote, hour meter, parallel compatible, digital readouts, quick oil drain hose out of the engine block vs a plug, etc for half the price). He said champion can do that much also, but its hit or miss if you get a bad one. He was encouraged by contractors who use the Predator clones and thought the gamble may be worth it. I saw good things said about generac and westinghouse on Amazon, but no one with large hours - just those for occasional blackouts.

What brand do you have and how many hours are you at? I bet there are people out there that live off grid. It will also be a backup genny to our solar system I'm building this summer.

If I don't need to buy a Honda I won't mind saving money. I did see a A-Ipower brand genny at Costco that uses the yamaha engine, atleast then I would have the ability to return it and save $500 over a Honda. With a small genny returning it wouldn't suck vs those big 3800w gennys . If I get a Honda the return or refund policy will probably be really bad vs costco. I would probably have to wait months for a repair or pay hundreds to ship it for repairs.
Specs for the A-Ipower -

I have read on forums an Onan will last 20k to 25k hours. They aren't portable, but maybe a 2800 would be good once we make it back to our property this summer.

Thanks guys

Are you looking for a "Full Duty Cycle" 24 / 7 operation generator or something that runs part time 500-600 hrs. a year ?

If you're looking for longevity and reliability you need to go diesel .
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:41 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many Onan now brushless; problem w/ many smaller GENS is DIFFICULTY of required maintenance, (including Honda), such as 250-500-hrs VALVE ADJUSTMENTS ON OHC ENGINES? ALL, EVEN THE big DIESELS, require scheduled maintenance. For your application, plan/ description and budget, SUSPECT best DIY maintenance? Many big Gens in big RVS (e.g. traveling bands) put thousands of hour on and run run GENS 24/7, BUT also require scheduled maintenance and oil changes. LUCK
Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Are you looking for a "Full Duty Cycle" 24 / 7 operation generator or something that runs part time 500-600 hrs. a year ?

If you're looking for longevity and reliability you need to go diesel .
1 gallon per 8 to 10 hrs is not possible with a diesel. I haven't seen a diesel under 4 kw.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Many Onan now brushless; problem w/ many smaller GENS is DIFFICULTY of required maintenance, (including Honda), such as 250-500-hrs VALVE ADJUSTMENTS ON OHC ENGINES? ALL, EVEN THE big DIESELS, require scheduled maintenance. For your application, plan/ description and budget, SUSPECT best DIY maintenance? Many big Gens in big RVS (e.g. traveling bands) put thousands of hour on and run run GENS 24/7, BUT also require scheduled maintenance and oil changes. LUCK
I call BS on the internet response, dont believe everything you read. Readers beware esp from a drink response at 3am in the morning.

Valves are not hard to adjust. I rode bikes all my life and have tuned many. Valves dont just go bad and suddenly stop.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why did the Yammie die? These small generators are very sensitive to the fuels and gumming up the carb. Since the generator is not run daily and let set, there are two things that you must do. First thing is to keep a fuel conditioner in the gas tank and fuel cans. I use Sea Foam. Next is either shut off the fuel and run the carb dry or drain the carb when you shut it down for more than a week.

I have two Honda EU2000i generators that are 6 years old and no issues with them.
They get more hours on them just running and maintain them. If you follow any of the Honda forums, you will see that there are many of them out there with 2000 hours plus on them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Why did the Yammie die? These small generators are very sensitive to the fuels and gumming up the carb. Since the generator is not run daily and let set, there are two things that you must do. First thing is to keep a fuel conditioner in the gas tank and fuel cans. I use Sea Foam. Next is either shut off the fuel and run the carb dry or drain the carb when you shut it down for more than a week.

I have two Honda EU2000i generators that are 6 years old and no issues with them.
They get more hours on them just running and maintain them. If you follow any of the Honda forums, you will see that there are many of them out there with 2000 hours plus on them.

Ken
I run it daily for about 4 hours when we het home to watch TV, run fans, laptop etc small devices. While my large genny just does laundry or microwave

2000 hrs at 4 hrs a day is only 16 to 17 months. I have read about people who are full time off grid who use the 3000-ish watt open cage none-inverter style champions for 4 years on 4 to 10 hours a day doing oil changes at 125 to 150 hrs. That's why I went with the Cabela's Champion with remote start and I have had that since May it eats through my 35 gallon gas caddy in a week if I use it too much. Thats why I need a new low fuel consumption long lasting gen.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...rt-by-champion

The question was does anyone know first hand of a portable generator that has done 3000 hours, hopefully not a high priced low feature Honda.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
I've heard good things about the preditor gen from harbor freight.
Anything with large numbers or just campers on the weekends?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
1 gallon per 8 to 10 hrs is not possible with a diesel. I haven't seen a diesel under 4 kw.

So , you've never seen a under 4kw diesel , fair enough .

I've never seen a small gas generator go 10K to 15K running hrs. That equates to approx. 4-6 hrs. running time a day for 5 to 7 years . We have Onan 4K gas genny's in both our MH and Boat and I'll be happy if I get 1K to 2K hrs. life out of them.

I think you may be chasing Unicorns . They don't exist.

You solution may be purchasing 2 economical small gas genny's . Put one in service and store the other one . When the first one fails , put the second one in service , then go buy another backup .

Pretty much uninterrupted service without the cost of a diesel generator. If you replace a small gas genny every year for 5 - 7 years , you will still be money ahead of buying a diesel genny.

Either way , I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #11

Not made any more, but a used one would fit the bill.
https://powersuite.cummins.com/sites...lic/A-1501.pdf
Old 03-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:

Specs for the A-Ipower -

Thanks guys
If this will work - https://www.homedepot.com/s/invertor...5202200?NCNI-5

Story, I built two houses running it every day for 8-10 hours for lights and charging tools also ran a saw or drill with it. (100 days for each house) In my case a gallon of gas lasted all day - unless I ran tools that used more power.

These are Great Little units - Good Gas is the key to the long life and clean Carburetor.

So, I likely put 2,000 hours on it and it still runs Great (Put a new Carburator on it last winter as I forgot to Drain/run it out of Gas. Starts on 2 Pulls, always run the carburetor dry - so as to not case issues later.

If you need more Watts combine two just like with Honda.

FYI - look on Craigs list - I purchased two new in the box - one for $250 one for $275. so if price is the deciding factor,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #13

Small portable consumer grade generators generally are not designed to last that long.

To get this kind of sevice life you need comercial or military surplus generators.

Generators that are designed to last 1,000's of hours are exponentially more expensive and you won't find them at Costco, Lowes, Walmart, etc.

https://www.frontierpower.com/produc...enerator-sets/

https://greenmountaingenerators.com/...sel-generator/

8.5kW Generator rated for 25,000 hours:
http://www.centralmainediesel.com/or...?page=Perkins8
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
So , you've never seen a under 4kw diesel , fair enough .

I've never seen a small gas generator go 10K to 15K running hrs. That equates to approx. 4-6 hrs. running time a day for 5 to 7 years . We have Onan 4K gas genny's in both our MH and Boat and I'll be happy if I get 1K to 2K hrs. life out of them.

I think you may be chasing Unicorns . They don't exist.

You solution may be purchasing 2 economical small gas genny's . Put one in service and store the other one . When the first one fails , put the second one in service , then go buy another backup .

Pretty much uninterrupted service without the cost of a diesel generator. If you replace a small gas genny every year for 5 - 7 years , you will still be money ahead of buying a diesel genny.

Either way , I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
No sure where you thought I was asking for 10k to 15k hrs from a small generator. I did say I read the Onan generator can get that and up to 25k. That was not a portable tho

For the third time the question was:
Does anyone have first hand experience with getting 3000 hrs on a portable generator

Tags
generator