Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #1

Added battery voltage meters at dash - saved me twice

2008 Tiffin Phaeton DP MH, 360HP Cummings Freightliner chassis
I added on two external housings and installed voltage meters on my dash
The upper external housing has 2 DC outlets and 2 USB outlets
Full disclosure - I'm an electrical engineer and can't imagine life without knowing what my battery bank voltages are
I watched the voltages for a year and they were very consistent
Months ago I noticed that my engine battery voltage would decline when I was parked.
Investigating I found the battery tender failed and associated wiring melted together
I installed a new battery tinder and rewired, now works fine. This likely saved me from preparing to leave and finding a dead battery
Next while parked I noticed my chassis batteries voltages were not what they consistently were. I found my inverter/charger wasn't charging. I was able to reboot it and get it working but am now preparing to replace it.
Without the dash meters I would have been unaware of these two situations.
I assume the inverter should have alarmed me that the chassis batteries weren't being charged but I assume it didn't work because it was off line.
As a recovering engineer I was compelled to install the meters but am providing this as food for thought.
I plan to add AC meters as well. But haven't because the old inverter is not a pure sine wave and the MSW AC drive cheap electronic voltage meters nuts. I plan to add meters in the cover of my Tiffin transfer switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton irv2 dash meters 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	386196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton irv2 dash meters upgrade 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	386197  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton irv2 dash meters upgrade.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	386198  
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 08:51 PM   #2

cerboGX with smartshunt. Not only does it show the voltages for both house and chassis but it logs everything along with tons of other data. Plus all over web so you can see it from anywhere.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #3

I'm not an EE, and even I would feel naked without v-meters where I can see them!

(No, Detroit, an idiot light is not a meter.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:04 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BATTERY SWITCH NUT APPEARS LOOSE on right, going to BUSS?
Old 02-11-2023, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
BATTERY SWITCH NUT APPEARS LOOSE on right, going to BUSS?

If you look close, I think that there are 2 nuts on that stud.
The one nut looks to be tight on the ring terminal.
I will say that the Right nut on the Left Hand switch may be tight, but definitely not a Full Engagement. All the other nuts look good.

Tim

Tags
battery, dash