Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Any really GOOD Tire Pressure monitor systems for a motorhome w toad?

I've read reviews and ads until I'm blue in the face. Anybody had any good experiences with a TPMS add on system for my 42 ft motorhome tag axle with a toad? Ideally I'd like the following;

1. It doesn't look cheesy
2. Few problems with false alarms
3. It DOES alarm when tire pressure/temp is bad
4. Range and sensor issues are okay for the toad 65ft aft.
5. I'd prefer not to open each tire to install, but perhaps that's the only good ones.

Thanks
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Dave, I'm sure you looked at the TST systems and that is what I am running. I have more user experiance on this system then the majority of folks on this forum. I was the one who located the system years back when it was sold out of Colorado by another company. I posted it on another forum and that's when it caught the attention of the RV folks. That company had a few problems within that caused it to lose the distribution of the system by the manufacturer (Long story). I ran the original system prior to the 510 on my front tires. Prior to TST taking over I ran the 2nd generation of sensors that had the locking devise but they did cause valve stems to leak. The third generation (510) were replaced under warranty by TST and I ran these with only one problem, I kept losing the Toad. While in Quartzsite I met John Friend (TST partner) who sold me a 510 repeater. No more Toad sensor loss. My 510's finally started to fail after about 4 years of being on my MH 100% year around due to batteries. I went with the 507 system in Jan, these have replaceable batteries and are a little smaller. So far I am pleased with them. Only problem I had was loss of Toad sensors once in a while. I contacted Dan at TST and it was determined that my 510 repeater didn't recognize the 507 sensors. I now have the 507 repeater and no problems.
In my opinion I think TST is one of the best systems on the market. I like that I can set the high and low points on the PSI to trigger the alarm. You can also set the high temp. I run 100psi and have the low warning set at 95. Most of the other systems have a preset of 10% and I sure don't want to wait til I lose 10psi to know I have a problem.
One more thing, If you have read the post on TST on this forum you'll see that Customer Service is great. I think it's right up there with Fantastic Fans. And no I don't work for them nor do I have a vested interest in the Company.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Just noticed you're awaiting delivery on a 2013 MH. Don't they have a factory installed TPMS on it??
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Looking at systems myself, 507 is one I plan to look further at. Not real sure I can reach between my duals to install on the inner tires. I am not running valve stem extenders.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
i like the 507 looks nice but doesn't have locking screws. i really like the internal pressure monitors.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
i like the 507 looks nice but doesn't have locking screws. i really like the internal pressure monitors.
What do you mean by locking screws?
The sensors are installed with a tool that makes it impossible to remove by hand. Also, they can be made to screw on and off without the tool.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I've read reviews and ads until I'm blue in the face. Anybody had any good experiences with a TPMS add on system for my 42 ft motorhome tag axle with a toad? Ideally I'd like the following;

1. It doesn't look cheesy
2. Few problems with false alarms
3. It DOES alarm when tire pressure/temp is bad
4. Range and sensor issues are okay for the toad 65ft aft.
5. I'd prefer not to open each tire to install, but perhaps that's the only good ones.

Thanks
We have used a Pressure Pro system for motorhome and towd since 2007 with great success. No false alarms, good alarms when pressures drop (saved the towd this summer), good reception from the towd rear tires 65 feet away. I guess the system is a bit older tech - the batteries are not user replaceable and they do not sense temperature. Ours are still the original sensors/batteries that were purchased in 2007. Although the manufacturer recommends removing the system when not in use, I never have and just leave them on the valve stems even when we are in our winter home.

I check the pressure readings every spring vs. a good pressure gauge and they show the same pressure +/- 1 psi. The sensors seal well enough that I rarely have to add any air to the tires. Not sure what you mean by looking cheesy - the sensors are like big black caps that screw onto the valve stems.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
What do you mean by locking screws?
The sensors are installed with a tool that makes it impossible to remove by hand. Also, they can be made to screw on and off without the tool.

I bought the display and 10 sensors a couple of months ago and all the sensors have a small Allen screw that you tighten to the valve stem just below the threads.

Only used them for about 1200 miles and have been great. Don't have to use a repeater for the toad but the coach is only 30 feet.

I need to call customer support about this but it seems if a sensor stops sending data the display continues to show the last information received. I hope I'm wrong...

I like being able to check and adjust pressures without having to remove the sensors.

Tags
motorhome, toad