Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2022, 09:43 PM   #1

Anyone using alien tape?

Is anyone using alien tape in their rv's?

I am so disappointed in this product. I've seen the commercials forever and finally saw it at Walmart about a month ago and purchased a three pack.

The commercials show it being used on kitchen cabinets, in the shower, on brick, on walls, etc.

When I opened it up and read the instructions, it specifically says: do not use on wall paper, painted surfaces, porous surfaces, in the shower or where it will be exposed to water.

I've looked around our trailer and have no idea where I could possibly use this stuff.
I have yet to use any. What a disappointment.
PhilAndTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 05:49 AM   #2

A neighboring RV’r friend gave us a roll at a campground last spring.

My wife uses it to hold some of her wall graffiti on the wall.

So far, 6 months and counting whereas for anything else used to hold it on the wall, it falls after hitting the first road bump or two.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I also bought it and have found it to be worthless, actually beyond worthless...I used it to secure pictures to the wall (in the house) and they broke when they fell off the wall in the middle of the night...and scare the heck out of us when they fell.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Someone gave me a roll of that tape. I really haven't used it. I suppose I might just toss it out. I just got a new roll of 3M VHB today; I like that tape a lot.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I use it all the time. It is great on smooth hard surfaces. Use it to hold the foil insulation on the windshield while I put the sunscreen over it. I use it to hold my patio lights up on the painted surface of the side of the coach. I use it to hold my security cameras in place. I use it to hold my I-Pad case on the dash so I can use it for mapping.

The one thing I did hear was from one of my RV neighbors. They used it to hold the rugs in place on their tile floor. Said it held well. Too well. When they pulled the rugs up the stuff was impossible to get up. Of course, they had been walking on it for 6 months.

The best thing I like about it is, as long as you put it on a hard smooth surface, (like the windshield glass or the painted sides) it comes off quite easily. They say it is reusable, but I have never been able to get it off in one piece. It always stretches and rolls into a little ball peeling it off.

As for water. It says right in the directions to remove just use a little water from a spray bottle and pull on an edge. It does release it.

It has its place and will only do certain things. I bought a second box this spring so I wouldn't run out. It was pretty cheap. About $10 for 3 10' rolls in a box. It won't replace duct tape but it also won't take an hour and a razer blade to get off my windshield either.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #6

I guess I won't throw it away. I may find a use for it.
Just disappointed that it won't work for any of the things I bought it for, most of which they showed in their commercial as being viable options.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:43 AM   #7

Area 51 is taking donations.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Area 51 is taking donations.
They need them to keep producing tape ?

I have some in the ~ 1" wide variety. I sticks real well but is a pain to remove anything it was used to attach. I would suggest not to use it on painted surfaces or wall paper. You might end up having to refinish those surfaces.
MevetS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

I use it to - : Hold knife block in place against the back splash

Hold soap pump to bathroom wall
Hold toilet brush holder to floor
Hold Refletex to glass
When works it works, when it Doesn't it doesn't.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:39 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Just twist to remove..." implies "shear to remove"= it will fail if used on a wall? I too have a roll, not yet tried it anywhere , and concerns of breaking whatever falls?
Old 07-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #11

Yeah, it does put vertical applications in question doesn't it?
Old 07-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #12

I bought some in WalMart last week after being bombarded with TV ads. Have a couple specific places to use it:

a. Hold insulation on RV windows. Doubled-over duct tape and two-sided tape usually fail after the first "big" temperature change.
b. Keep some thin aluminum squares on wall behind the air fryer.
c. Is great for "hanging" business cards on the inside of tool boxes and reminders inside of cupboard doors.

Am sure my GF will have some uses for it too!
CBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:02 PM   #13

I'm going to try using it to stick my coffee maker to the counter, see how that goes.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #14

I have officially thrown away the 3 roll pack of this that I bought at Walmart.
In my opinion, this stuff is a scam.
I couldn't remove it without it either tearing or balling up.
It does leave residue, maybe not adhesive, but residue. I now have a number of small rectangles on the side of our trailer from my attempts at using it to hold Christmas lights up. This was a big failure, the lights come off faster than I could put them up.
Everything I've tried to use them on has fallen off. I have been switching back to 3M command strips which actually work.