Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #1

I was replacing my 30 amp land line plug and went to Lowes Home Improvement to get one.I also got a adapter to the normal 120 wall plug.The brand name they sell is I believe "Cooper".On the side of the box it said "RV Travel Trailer".It's made of plastic and so is the adapter.I'm not completely sure,but aren't all weather plugs made of rubber?.I can see where this would get wet and cause big problems.I did put it on for tests on the A/C items in the MH,but I will be replacing it with a weather plug and adapter once I find a source.

As far as the testing-the upside was the roof A/C seems to be working well except for the heating element not lighting up-The downside is I confirmed the Frig doesn't work at all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #2

I was replacing my 30 amp land line plug and went to Lowes Home Improvement to get one.I also got a adapter to the normal 120 wall plug.The brand name they sell is I believe "Cooper".On the side of the box it said "RV Travel Trailer".It's made of plastic and so is the adapter.I'm not completely sure,but aren't all weather plugs made of rubber?.I can see where this would get wet and cause big problems.I did put it on for tests on the A/C items in the MH,but I will be replacing it with a weather plug and adapter once I find a source.

As far as the testing-the upside was the roof A/C seems to be working well except for the heating element not lighting up-The downside is I confirmed the Frig doesn't work at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced the 50 amp plug with the plastic yellow one that has the handle. For us old guy's it is much easier to plug and unplug. A picture is at Power Grip Replacement Plug

This has worked very well for over 1 year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
For anyone needing the 50 or 30 amp replacement cord ends or adapters, RVUpgrades has them all here. Seems their prices are cheaper than CW's also.

I've made up my own extension cords and replaced cord ends with the replacement parts.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #5

Hey Joe,
I looked at your ref to a replacement plug.Not sure those are rubber or not to be rated for outdoor use.Thanks for the ref to that store in any case.
BTW:Spent about 1 hour looking at all the products they offer.It was like a kid in a candy store.I want it all now.LOL
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #6

The hard plastic type plugs for RV 30A service are safe to use outdoors. They are commonly available at RV parts stores too. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance, which means when you plug in your RV the electricity will follow the CG wiring first (if properly installed and maintained). Of course we already know the effects to our RV of improper CG wiring and test it before using-right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Jim

hi..i bought a hard plastic 30 amp male plug at ace hardware for $8.50..same one i bought at walmart several years ago, but walmart doesn't carry them now..they have the yellow one with a handle for $12+..jim
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
i know the post is old but Ray,IN is right!!! I would say a MUST in your tool box is a plug checker that will when plugged in will tell you if the hot and common are switched and also if there is no Ground Or it was wired wrong. Most of the older RV's never had any need but these newer models or Upgraded RV'S out there will not work right if the wiring in the box is not correctly wired and in a worst case could cause a nasty burn from an appliance Or Shock and some things just don't work well with reversed wiring. My local shop showed me one for under $10.and has already saved me several times from faulty wiring.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote