Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Awning Repair - The Inexpensive Way!!!!!

I have awnings shading my slides and while the awning material is in GREAT CONDITION - and NOT NEEDING REPLACING - the sewn seams have warn. Meaning that the ONLY the threads are coming apart. The seam itself is in very nice condition.

These are Girard and Girard will only replace with "glued" seamed material. They will NOT repair.

The question: Anyone out there who has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and HAS FOUND a glue that was of sufficient strength to bond this material together and that lasts for a LONG period of time? Can't be a glue that melts or deuterates from the sun. I live in southern California and summers get to 114!!!! We live in the hills surrounding wine country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210406_021047902.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	604.1 KB
ID:	323977   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210406_021043659.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	323978  

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Why not take them to a canvas shop and have the resewn. I don't know how much it will be but I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper than a new awning.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Why not take them to a canvas shop and have the resewn. I don't know how much it will be but I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper than a new awning.
Interesting thought. If I new how to get them off and then back on. Yes, I know. I've been told that it "easy." In your dreams!!!!!
Old 04-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #4

Post a pic of how they attach to the upper part of the rig. There are YouTube videos on replacing the awnings, so that would help you figuring out how to remove and re-install.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Community Moderator

If you are near the coast area find a sail repair shop and ask their opinion. They may recommend a glue that will work or have a better ideal for you.
If needed go to a marina and talk to a boat owner about a sail repair shop.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Post a pic of how they attach to the upper part of the rig. There are YouTube videos on replacing the awnings, so that would help you figuring out how to remove and re-install.
Good idea!!!

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #8

+1 on marine "canvas" repair shop.
Make sure they use tenera thread or one of the equivalents. They are guaranteed for life of the awning / top. UV protected polyester thread will only last about 3-5 yrs in sunny areas.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #9

I found a local "awning repair" company. While they do the typical "home-based" awning, if I take the awning off (and later reinstall) they will only charge $50!! And the thread they use has a 15 yr. warranty!!!!!

Now I need to study the YouTube videos and find someone to help me take them off (and later reinstall).

Thanks all for your suggestions!
Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #10

I gathered help of friends at our camp club. Spray bottle soapy water to lube channels if vinyl and warmer daytime temp is better. Four people and four sturdy picnic tables with seats attached . Two feeders of material , two pullers one for each channel . Two 16' scaffold of picnic tables to walk on. I could have cut all in half...... but it slid in 5 minutes or less took longer to explain what to do. Most of help were probably half in the bag lol.
This was old manual type vinyl . I had tension bar pre loaded to same turns as I removed.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
OK so my question while on the subject of awning slides is with what or how do you treat your slide awnings to help them last longer? The OP I'm sure took care of his but still the thread broke down on him. Please don't say 303. That has to be applied every 3 or 4 weeks to anything you use it for. Works good yes , but does not last long. So what else would you or do you use?
I use Awesome to keep my awnings clean ,but the treatment to protect them is my only question.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
OK so my question while on the subject of awning slides is with what or how do you treat your slide awnings to help them last longer? The OP I'm sure took care of his but still the thread broke down on him. Please don't say 303. That has to be applied every 3 or 4 weeks to anything you use it for. Works good yes , but does not last long. So what else would you or do you use?
I use Awesome to keep my awnings clean ,but the treatment to protect them is my only question.
See
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/advice-on-awning-cleaner-530725.html
I have posted several thread on cleaning & care of Sunbrella / acrylic fabric - vinyl coated awnings are very different. Many posts dont differentiate and can be very misleading... possibly detrimental if wrong solutions used on awnings

Not sure which 303 product you are referring to? It depends which product and what the material is you are treating.
I made and treated boat "canvas" which was really acrylic fabric. Washed & retreated once / year and tops lasted 15 yrs in NE likely half that in the S.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Interesting thought. If I new how to get them off and then back on. Yes, I know. I've been told that it "easy." In your dreams!!!!!
The hardest part of taking them off and putting back on is finding 2 other people to help. and hopefully not drink too much beer.

They really area a 3 man job.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, awning, repair