Backup camera and TPMS - Aftermarket or OEM?
While I wait for our 5th wheel trailer to be built, I'm using the time obsessing/researching the stuff we will need or want to outfit the unit. The question(s) of the moment are the TPMS and backup camera.
I've about settled on the TST 507 TPMS if I go aftermarket.
I'm starting to research backup cameras.
But then it occurred to me to consider Ford TPMS and camera.
Can anyone here share your experience with the Ford OEM trailer camera and/or TPMS?
From what I've read:
+ integrates with the existing TPMS and cameras built into the vehicle. No extra monitors on the dash, windshield, or console.
+Wired system - no issues with signal transmission.
+/- TPMS and camera appear to use a common harness. install both or neither.
- due to integration and safety lockouts, probably can't use it as a rear view monitor while driving.
- Wired system - have to install and manage the wires
- system appears to be intended to plug into the bumper, although there seems to be an aftermarket modification to put the plug in the truck bed.
- not a lot of information available on the OEM system.
- TPMS does not report temperature, but i have my doubts about the accuracy of a temperature reading from a sensor outside the tire anyway.
I believe the unit will come prewired and bracketed for the Voyage camera. I'm not sure what the definition of prewired is (hot and ground wire to a tail light?)
Thanks for any/all info.
2020 F350 - 7.3L SRW