Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
You can tow that tank some on good surfaces. If you need to go any distance over tough road towing the tote good luck. That is why I just carry it in the trucks bed. I can’t lift 42 gals in to the truck thus I pump it problem solved.
I am with you on the lifting part. I will rarely use the tote, but at one of the local parks it is gonna make life a lot easier. If or when we start doing more state parks I am defiantly getting the pump. For now I will tow it to the dump station of to my cesspool in my yard,

Thanks
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 AM   #16

Check the handle on your tote. Isn't it made so it will drop over a trailer hitch ball on your truck? My Thetford tank is.
You don't have to fill the tank completely. Fill it half way up and pull or tow it to the dump station.
My son takes his truck and camper to the NASCAR race we attend each year so we use his truck to tow the tank with if it's full. Otherwise I just pull it down to the dump station by hand. Luckily it's a downgrade all the way and pulls quite easily. The roadway is quite smooth. Vehicle traffic on it all the time.
One word of caution though. If the tote handle is cut out to fit over a hitch ball be sure the handle will fit your trailer hitch ball. Most trailers use a 2 5/16" ball. My tote handle will not fit over the 2 5/16" ball so we carry along a hitch with a 2" ball just to use with the tote.
You have to take into account you will want to rinse out the dump hose. Standard practice is to close the black tank handle and open the gray tank handle to let the gray water rinse out the hose. You need to allow for this when emptying the black tank.If I am pulling my tank by hand to the dump station I call this good enough. Cap both hose ends and leave the hose under my MH. If we are using my son's truck I cap both hose ends and take the hose along and rinse it out at the dump station after using the gray water method.
I only use my tank once a year. That is when we attend the race. Before I bought my tank I was paying a septic tank service which drove through the camping areas constantly and would pump out your tanks for $45 per dump. There are several trucks driving around so the wait wasn't terribly long but the price added up having to dump a couple times during our stay from Wednesday to Monday. I have had to wait as much as two hours for a truck to come by as there are over 4000 campsites at the track.
We try to be conservative as there are porta-potties not too far away that the men use for stand up jobs. The Ladies use our camper toilets for their relief as well as the men when they have to sit for a bit.
Lynn
Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslprd View Post
This is exactly what I want to do, was just worried about the top of the tank being too high. I was hoping to avoid having to "walk" the waste. I have to walk the hose at my house and it is such a pain, but the tote would be a lot shorter run.

Thanks
( Such a pain ) ???
Your not even getting started yet [emoji106]
This all is lots of work
Lots of DIY
The Macerater and pump is the smartest and easiest after its set up.

Dont return this 42 for a smaller one.
Trust us.

Buy some fittings and go camping.
You learn something new every time.

I learned in 76 that I didn't ever want to own a blue tank again [emoji6][emoji41]

And made certain ever since that I didn't need to.

Enjoy
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #18

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
( Such a pain ) ???
Your not even getting started yet [emoji106]
This all is lots of work
Lots of DIY
The Macerater and pump is the smartest and easiest after its set up.

Dont return this 42 for a smaller one.
Trust us.

Buy some fittings and go camping.
You learn something new every time.

I learned in 76 that I didn't ever want to own a blue tank again [emoji6][emoji41]

And made certain ever since that I didn't need to.

Enjoy
LOL The only reason it is a pain at my house is that the cesspool is in my front yard and about even height with the trailer outlet, so you end up walking the waste out of the hose for 20 feet. one of the campgrounds we go to has a dump station where the water hose isn't threaded so you can't flush your tanks there.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
LOL The only reason it is a pain at my house is that the cesspool is in my front yard and about even height with the trailer outlet, so you end up walking the waste out of the hose for 20 feet. one of the campgrounds we go to has a dump station where the water hose isn't threaded so you can't flush your tanks there.
That sucks [emoji848]
Maybe even stinks [emoji1787][emoji6]
And when its 110 degrees ????
Both
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
A big thumbs-up for the Barker folks.

When backing one day, the handle on our 32 gallon tote 'somehow' jumped in the way of the coach wheel, bending the handle and jamming its front wheels. I called them to ask if they sell replacement parts for dummies.
The guy listened to my damage report, confirmed my model and then asked for my address. i waited for him to ask for a credit card, but he said "Nope, it's on us".

Next time, when I back over the entire tank , I'll buy another Barker!!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #21

I used the tote this weekend to clean out my black tank and must say I am pretty happy with the purchase. It was a bit of a pain with the pipes being so close to one another but not terrible. the tote rolls really well and a full tank was not a huge deal when pulled by hand. I filled it 4 times and emptied it in my cesspool at home. I had to lift it over my belgium blocks on the edges of my driveway which was the hardest part and pull it about 50 ft. All in all I think that it will be awesome when we go somewhere without sewer hookups.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #22

Quote:
I used the tote this weekend to clean out my black tank and must say I am pretty happy with the purchase. It was a bit of a pain with the pipes being so close to one another but not terrible. the tote rolls really well and a full tank was not a huge deal when pulled by hand. I filled it 4 times and emptied it in my cesspool at home. I had to lift it over my belgium blocks on the edges of my driveway which was the hardest part and pull it about 50 ft. All in all I think that it will be awesome when we go somewhere without sewer hookups.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
I don't know where you live but if you're in a warm climate you could add a couple gallons of water to the tank and a small amount of tank deodorizer in the tank. This will keep any solids left in the tank from drying up and sticking to the tank's bottom.
If you are in a colder climate where there is a danger of freezing add some antifreeze to the tank and a little deodorizer.
This is really no different than caring for your RV's tanks.
Lynn
Old 10-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe you can add a gate valve to your rig that will allow you to keep the gray and black valves open....so both tanks fill equally. On your trailer, you might just add some 3" slinky between both outlets with the 3rd knife valve at the end....making the dump problem easier and less frequent.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #24

This is our first year so we are still learning the subtleties of the trailer. My wife is so phobic about poop pyramids that we both use way too much water in the toilet. All season we filled our black tank way before the grey tanks. I think once we get used to the proper procedures we will get much more use between emptying.