RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Bicycle covers

Just bought 2 ebikes and am looking for a good cover to cover both of them while on the road. Had a small electric scooter and would cover it with a BBQ pit cover. Flapped around like crazy, am looking for something better.
Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I cover mine with road grit, rain water, dust, dirt and whatever else mother nature and the road serves up. I guess if I spent more than $200 for a bike, it might be different. When in doubt, just ask, what would Jerry say?
Old 11-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

A small Amazon $28 motorcycle cover nicely handles two bikes - it's the right shape - and usually has grommets along the bottom for tightening it to minimize flapping.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

I bought a pretty high quality cover, but it would flap like crazy! The flapping started tearing the cover in just a few hours, I was also afraid it would abrade the paint with the constant flapping.

I don’t cover them while driving now.

Thankfully, I got folding bikes and can just fold them and transport inside the SUV
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #5

I was in Red Bay, AL at the new Girrard Awning facility this last summer and saw a really nice cover on the back of a very nice 5th wheel. I asked the owner of the 5th where he got his two bike cover, Lowe’s was his answer. He said it was their largest BBQ cover, about $30-40. He also had a cargo net over the grill cover to secure it even more firmly. Needless to say, the next Lowe’s I saw, I stopped and purchased one. Have had it on the back of our Newmar Essex for over 8k miles now and it works great! Made of a really heavy cloth lined vinyl it protects our full size ebikes from the weather and road grime quite well. I also use a cargo net to secure more firmly. Works Great!!
chuck.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Gave up on covering them on the road for two reasons.

First, it’s a pain to get the cover anchored and it still flaps.

Second it seriously blocks my lights from many directions.

I made a cover out of cheap tarps that I slip over them when parked.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
This Swagman cover is what we use for our bikes. It covers the bottom and zips around the top. When we used a cover with no bottom the bikes seemed to get just a dirty as without a cover.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
NXR

Some of these answers may have missed the OP saying they had ebikes. Many electric bikes have a restriction against getting overly wet so they need to be covered. I can drive mine through puddles but need to go slow to avoid splashing water on the electrics or motor. And yes, they were considerably more than $200. Each.

Ray
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #9

mUSt bE spECial

I have 2 ebikes on the back of our 5th wheel and have used this brand for 2 years with no issues of tearing or flapping. Extreme duty material and water proof (ebikes do not like water) with bungee cords supplied with cover. The only problem with bike covers for ebikes is they tend to cover your tail lights. I installed 2 tail lights above the bikes because of this. If you don`t you will get the ticket or a damaged camper when some one hits you. Good luck with that.
The camper pictured has the tail lights out to the far edge mine are in about 10 inches so you can see how that could be a problem. Eb
https://formosacovers.com/products/dual-bike-cover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike cover.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	309572  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #10

Bicycle covers

I have been happy with Skinz: http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/b...ortcovers.html

Pretty much zero flapping. Not 100% waterproof in a downpour. I drape a shower curtain liner over the top of the bikes, then put the cover on. Works for my quiver of carbon.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #11

Bicycle covers

We bought a ProBikeTool travel cover through Amazon. Used it to cover one conventional and one ebike. Just finished a round trip from SoCal to Nashville with the bikes on the back of our class C. A quality cover with many points of tie downs. We did notice one of the tie downs had pulled away from a seam. The company promptly sent me new cover telling me they have since upgraded the stitching.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
Just bought 2 ebikes and am looking for a good cover to cover both of them while on the road. Had a small electric scooter and would cover it with a BBQ pit cover. Flapped around like crazy, am looking for something better.
Any thoughts?
When I cover bikes it blocks the plate and 3/4 of brake light. Anyone fixe that problem? But I also use a bbq cover
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #13

I have used a large BBQ cover and then added extra grommet so that I could add ropes or bungee cords. Put them in strategic locations near the bottom to secure the cover from billing and movement. Also keeps the bicycles cleaner by having only a small open on the bottom.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=grommet%20kit

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover