Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
Jim

is anyone using an external antenna or booster for their cell phone?..we have sprint service and would like to boost its sensitivity in rural areas..thanks..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2004, 03:39 AM   #2
Jim

is anyone using an external antenna or booster for their cell phone?..we have sprint service and would like to boost its sensitivity in rural areas..thanks..jim
Old 09-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I have been using this one for a year or better. Not cheap but it works on dual bands which is important. I need my phone when I travel so it is worth it to me. I have it hooked up to the Wilson trucker Antenna also.
DA 4000
Old 09-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had good results with the Wilson Trucker cell booster antenna. About $75+ from www.ccrane.com. Or 800-522-8863. They give you a 30 day guarantee.

If you Google Wilson Trucker antenna you can find the mfr's website with more detailed specs.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Wilson external antenna's for about a year now. They really do help in the rural area's. Check out www.goessex.com They have pretty good prices and are easy to deal with.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:13 AM   #6

I installed a Wilson Trucker's because my daughter, whom we visit often, lived in a rural part of Alabama. The next week she moved to a new location with a tower practically in her back yard. Go Figure. I haven't plugged it in since...but I'm glad it's there for future travels.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:39 AM   #7

I use a Wilson Trucker cell phone antenna mounted on the top of my rv ladder and it works great. I also have Wilson's cell phone signal amplifier(blue box) installed inside of my 5er. It is rare that we don't have a Verizon signal with this setup.

I also have a Wilson magnetic mount cell phone antenna on the cab of my truck. It works well also.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #8

I'm an analog holdout. Being on the receiving end of many digital cell calls a day, I hear it all. I personally run a 3watt phone installed in my 2002. I have a roof (hole) mounted cell antenna and it works great. It was tough to allow the hole to be drilled in the roof on a then new (my first ever) truck, but it's worth it!
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kennedy:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John, A very hearty welcome and thanks for joining in and telling us about your cell antenna installation We'll look forward to hearing more about your experiences with your truck.

Now can you stretch that dyno and handle a 248 inch wheelbase?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kennedy:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John, A very hearty welcome and thanks for joining in and telling us about your cell antenna installation We'll look forward to hearing more about your experiences with your truck.

Now can you stretch that dyno and handle a 248 inch wheelbase? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 12' door on this building. Not sure how high you are. I also think we have a 10 or 12k axle weight rating, but that may be a bit conservative. The bay is 40' deep, less 36" or so for wall thickness and cabinets. and the roll set is about 6-8' inside if memory serves. This leaves us a max of say 29' to play with...

The alternative is to back in, but again height dependent.

Definitely interested in the cell booster mentioned early on as it sounds like we are all going to .5watt digital with FCC regs at the close of 2005...
Old 12-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #11

To understand you correctly, we're all going digital at end of 2005? No more analog? That's going to hurt.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM   #12

That's how I understand it. Has to do with an FCC mandate regaring digital 911 I believe...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #13

I know this is an old thread but I'm new here a so just now reading it.

I put the Wilson trucker ant on my last class A. It made all the difference in the world. Signal would go from 1 bar to 3bars with the ant. I use cingular and connect to the internet via my v3 phone. I am connected as much as 3 or 4 hours at a time when I am driving down the road. With the Wilson ant I seldom loose my connection. I got mine for these people

http://www.primecellular.com/

I am a Wilson dealer and they sell the ant for less than I can buy it.

Roger
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #14

I use a Wilson Electronics cellular amplifier with an external antenna. HUGE improvement of my Cingular service.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote