Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Clamp-on Bike Rack

I am searching for a bike rack that will bolt onto my B-OX 2" shaft. I need to carry 2 ebikes weighing around 50#s ea. Needs to be one with a wheel try as the bikes are step thrus with no support bar for that type of rack.

Thule says they don't make this type of rack....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I highly recommend a 1UP USA bike rack. The Super Duty Double 2" is rated for 75# per tray. The Heavy Duty Double 2" is rated for 50# per tray.

Both are approved for RV use.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I highly recommend a 1UP USA bike rack. The Super Duty Double 2" is rated for 75# per tray. The Heavy Duty Double 2" is rated for 50# per tray.

Both are approved for RV use.
x2 on 1upusa
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Please note... I need a clamp-on mount type of rack. I need to clap it on around the B-OX shaft which is 2x2". In my situation I cannot use a receiver mount type of rack.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Please note... I need a clamp-on mount type of rack. I need to clap it on around the B-OX shaft which is 2x2". In my situation I cannot use a receiver mount type of rack.
Interesting. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never heard of a bike rack mount like that. If one does exist I would be very concerned about its capability to securely support 100# of bicycles.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #6

Have a look at the Roadmaster (077-2) Dual Hitch Receiver.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I agree, but funny thing is on my last trip to Dallas and back I seen 2 different versions. One guy said he got his at Academy (but can't find it anywhere now), and another had his so long he couldn't remember the brand. In both cases the bikes seemed stable.

Thought about the dual hitch receiver, but I need a 6" riser for my jlur so that wouldn't work.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

Why not use the receiver on the Jeep?
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I am searching for a bike rack that will bolt onto my B-OX 2" shaft. I need to carry 2 ebikes weighing around 50#s ea. Needs to be one with a wheel try as the bikes are step thrus with no support bar for that type of rack.

Thule says they don't make this type of rack....

Here's what you're looking for , Swagman Traveler XCS2 . It is RV approved .

It will slide over your Blue Ox 2" draw bar and secures with two bolts that tighten to the draw bar .
It supports the bikes by the wheels in trays . It also has a goose neck extension that gives the carrier and bikes clearance from the front of your toad when turning.

We have carried our 2 ebikes on it for over 5000 miles with no problem .

Take a look , plus it's reasonably priced .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post

It will slide over your Blue Ox 2" draw bar and secures with two bolts that tighten to the draw bar .
It supports the bikes by the wheels in trays . It also has a goose neck extension that gives the carrier and bikes clearance from the front of your toad when turning.

Thanks I will check it out!!!!
Old 10-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
Why not use the receiver on the Jeep?
This would be an answer, but only if I tow my jlur. But my wife's jeep doesn't have a receiver. I know I could add a hitch but I am looking for the "best" solution which would be to clamp to the B.OX bar and be done. The bikes on back of jeep could interfere with camera and there would be times where I would not unload them so this would be an issue. If I had them attached to the B.OK bar I could leave them and not worry about any situation that presented itself.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Be careful

The Swagman Traveler XCS2 is not approved for RV use.

This model is not RV approved. It is designed to go between a vehicle and a trailer , like a pop-up. The model that is RV approved is Swagman RV Approved Traveler XC2 with Bumper Adapter, 64663
By BIKEAID MANUFACTURER

The XC2 is an approved Bike rack but mounts in the receiver. Neither of these are rated for the weight of an E Bike. I do not believe they would work on a step thru either.

If you do mount it on the Toad then towing there is another issue. Not all are rated for that use.

Someone above recommended the the 1 UP it is a great rack. and is RV approved and Toad Approved. I may be missing something but our Toad has a receiver because when we park if we want to go a good distance away before we use the bikes we transport them on the TOAD. When we are using the Toad for other purposes we put the rack on the MH and secure the bikes there.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
The Swagman Traveler XCS2 is not approved for RV use.

This model is not RV approved. It is designed to go between a vehicle and a trailer , like a pop-up. The model that is RV approved is Swagman RV Approved Traveler XC2 with Bumper Adapter, 64663
By BIKEAID MANUFACTURER

The XC2 is an approved Bike rack but mounts in the receiver. Neither of these are rated for the weight of an E Bike. I do not believe they would work on a step thru either.

If you do mount it on the Toad then towing there is another issue. Not all are rated for that use.

Someone above recommended the the 1 UP it is a great rack. and is RV approved and Toad Approved. I may be missing something but our Toad has a receiver because when we park if we want to go a good distance away before we use the bikes we transport them on the TOAD. When we are using the Toad for other purposes we put the rack on the MH and secure the bikes there.
Phillieagle,

Not sure where you found your information , but you are incorrect .

The Traveller XCS2 , IS RV APPROVED . Check Swagman's website. The website even explains the rack is designed to raise the bikes to clear the toad and to slip over the towbar drawbar.

We remove our batteries when travelling for security and weight savings.

In fact my wife's bike is a step through and the carrier works great .

As I mentioned in my post , we have over 5000 miles on ours and it shows no wear or damage.

In addition , a bike rack on the back of a toad experiences greater forces than when attached to the back of a MH.

Just want to clear up any misunderstanding .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post

I went to the website but cannot locate the model XCS2. Could it be under another name?

Tags
bike rack