Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Diary of a 2014 Black Rock 19B owner

DIARY OF A 2014 BLACK ROCK 19B OWNER
October 2014

Well. Have owned this trailer for one year, and only just managed to find the time and ability to finally, finally, test it out!

The Front End:
• The power tongue is a nice feature, and comes with an emergency manual crank handle. Power certainly makes set-up and take-down and easier process.
• Great propane capacity, with two 30 gallon tanks. Has a black plastic cover, and this one gets an Honorable Mention. For a start, it’s flat black. No more streaky black marks to contend with. And I love the flip-top access port, eliminating the need to remove the cover to turn things on and off.
• Copied an idea we saw on another trailer – put a trash container upside down over the power tongue post. This protects the post during storage, and provides a trash can for camping, if needed! It stays on securely for travelling too.
• Although we don’t use it all the time, we purchased a Tongue Twister. Not especially useful if you have someone guiding the truck to the trailer, but if you’re doing it solo, it only leaves one aspect to get right, and you can use the twister to move the trailer tongue left to right as needed. Makes it much easier to do a solo hitch up, and worth the bucks.

The Chassis:
• The factory claims it’s stronger and better than many of the competition’s frames. We have no idea if that’s true, but the trailer tows well, is very stable, and the inside floor feels very solid. The electric brakes seem better – smoother - than on our previous trailer. The scissor stabilisers on each corner work well, and we like the fact that they have a hex nut. Makes it a snap to use an electric drill to run them up and down.

The Awning:
• This is our first experience with a power awning. Absolutely awesome! We always found manual awnings were a pain to work….this one is very to operate. And the automatic sensor to drop one end of the awning if water builds up on it works as advertised.

The Step:
• It might seem a bit odd to give this a mention, but it deserves it. Reach in to flip it out, and no danger of banging your hand on the chassis. On our previous trailer, you had to be careful. And it’s been engineered properly. Once deployed, the lower step is about the same distance from the ground as it is from the upper step. On our old trailer, it was a bigger step from ground to the lower step, requiring a small ground platform to equalise. Simple design, well executed.
• Because we boondock, to help reduce the dirt being tracked into the trailer, we installed a clip-on all-weather carpet cover for the upper step.

The Inside:
• The refrigerator has good volume, is easy to fire up, and is quiet. Looks and feels like quality.
• The furnace is easy to operate, and not overly noisy. We love how the ducts are in the walls, and not the floor. Floor ducts are a pain, and fill with dirt and debris easily. Thumbs up on this one! Should mention at this point, that when we purchased, we had the air conditioner removed, and replaced with a Fantastic Fan. We boondock mostly, and don’t need or want an air conditioner (yet!). The fan is eminently more useful. We learned that for storage, better to remove the fuse, otherwise there is a parasitic draw (due to the moisture sensor on this model). A little bit of Velcro on the fuse holder and the frame alongside, and the fuse is always right there, handy for reinstalling. That one was the wife’s gifted idea!
• The Jensen sound system seems to be a very good one. Nice clear sound, and the convenience of a remote control.
• Love the electronic ignition on the stovetop elements, but wonder why they didn’t do the same for the oven.
• The bathroom design is good, although the basin arrangement is poorly designed. Water easily splashes behind the tap, and it needs to be dried after every use. Otherwise, here comes the mold! Note to selves: the sink top and tap needs to be replaced with a better unit.
• Don’t like the blinds too much. Difficult to raise and lower, they don’t fold in the pleats easily, and just look like poor quality. Note to selves: consider replacing with regular pull-down blinds at some stage. And the fancy material at the top of each blind seems superfluous. It’s a taste thing, we know. But we kept bumping the bedroom one off its track with our shoulders, and it was irritating.
• The dual pedestal posts didn’t work for us. we found it difficult to get our legs around them. That’s personal though – not all owners woud find that. We are going to convert them to removable table legs from Ikea. That way the table can be easily moved, or removed entirely, as needs dictate.
• Regardless of the factory hype, this model doesn’t have enough easy access storage space in the kitchen. That’s probably just a personal thing. We like to carry Stuff, but will need to pare it down somewhat. It’s a compromise we weren’t expecting to have to make.
• When we bought the trailer, we had the dealer replace all of the interior lights with LED’s. They give a nice white light, and use less battery than incandescent bulbs.
• Also at time of purchase, we had the dealer install a pull handle on the inside of the screen door, something we found to be surprising utilitarian. And on the outside, we had a large folding grab handle installed, to make getting in and out of the trailer easier.
• The supplied short queen mattress is foam, but only four inches thick. Might work for light framed people, but we needed to add a 4 inch memory foam topper. We found that combination quite comfortable. The topper needed trimming, since it came as a full queen length, and we trimmed it with a regular jigsaw, fitted with an extra-long metal cutting blade – it was easy to do, and made an excellent trim.
• In looking at where to start affixing extras, like paper towel racks and coat hooks, it’s proving a challenge. The solution so far is using industrial Velcro, because as helpful as the factory is when you get actually hold of someone, they do not answer emails. None of ours, anyway…we have three so far unanswered. Seems like they don’t even read them. It would be helpful if the factory provide diagrams of where things are inside the walls.
And while on this topic, what’s with the factory handbook? It’s advertising – just one handbook for all models? Come on guys….provide a handbook for each model. Surely that’s not too much to ask…..

The Roof:
• The roof is designed with a 5 inch curvature left to right. It sheds water more efficiently that a flat roof, and I suspect will be much less susceptible to leaks. And on the inside of the trailer, it makes for generous headroom.
• We put in a 160 watt solar panel, and now wish we had doubled it. It keeps the 2 six volt golf car batteries reasonably well charged, but more would be better. At least when we had it installed by the dealer, we had them run wires for a possible future install of a Trimetric battery meter too.
• We had vent covers installed over all fan vents. Makes the likelihood of water ingress during storms and rain much less likely.

Miscellaneous Stuff:
• Because the Black Rock has flat siding, putting a vertical level on it makes it very easy to check the level of the trailer side to side. Still working out the best gizmos for levelling. Those Andersen-3604 Camper Levelers look interesting……like to see them in action before we spend.
• Decided in getting a quality generator, and purchased a Yamaha EF2000iS. Happy with it. Reasonably quiet, easy to operate, and service-friendly.
• We also decided it would be smart to carry a 12 volt tire compressor. We bought a VIAIR 300P unit that has great online reviews. This model clips onto the battery terminals, which from the reviews is the better method. It just seemed to us that being independent of gas station compressors was a good thing…..
• In the what-tools-do-you carry department, we have a basic tool kit assembled in a small metal box. In addition, we also carry a torque wrench, and a lug wrench. And on a trip-by-trip basis, have always carried a cordless drill and jigsaw kit.

We have been trailer RV’ers since 2006, so had a pretty good idea of what works for us, and what does not. We are very happy with our decision to buy this Black Rock 19B, and look forward to many years of happy usage.

Nick B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

I want to chime in and add to this for any others looking at the blackrock 19b. We bought brand new 2015 and have 9 months of good use one it. We had a used tent trailer prior (no bathroom or water pump). Our experience with the 19b has been EXCELLENT so far. I'll list the things we like, the minor gripes, and things we overlooked and will consider if we ever upgrade.

Bedroom:
Walkaround bed was key for us. Not having to crawl over each other to take a leak in the middle of the night is a must.
Lots of storage back there. Love the coat hangers and bedside tables for both of us.
We added a foam topper to the bed. I feel like the access door under the bed could have been insulated better.
A door may have been nice, but not too worried.

Bathroom
Big tanks (60 fresh, 40,40) mean I can take showers. I use the shutoff valve on the shower head while lathering up. I can take a few showers. Love the heat vent in there, no cold seat. Sink is small and hard to get hands under.
The exhaust fan is small and dinky...

Kitchen

Great for our needs. Love the auto ignition on the stovetop. Wish the oven had the same feature, but we use it quite often regardless.
Double sink is great and fold out counter extension usually houses our dish rack.
Hot water tank is great (10 gal I think?). We noticed the electric heater did nothing. Might be a fuse, but we use propane regardless.
Fridge is fantastic. Running on either propane or electricity. Has a freezer.

Dinette area

The U shaped dinette was another main selling feature. BIG back window makes it feel open and we get to see some fantastic views with our morning breakfast. I wish I had looked into it being only single pane. We winter camp and have put on plastic weather guard. It was a major pain to install because of the non removable blind dressing at the top.
The storage under the seats is the only major gripe. You have to take off ALL of the cushions to access any of the under seat storage. Such a pain that we rarely go in there...
The curtains are pleated and rarely go up nicely. They do cover and keep out light very well.

General features
Power jack is great.
2 30lb propane is fantastic. We use a lot as we boondock mostly.
2 axle is great
Battery needs to be upgraded (obviously).
It does well in cold weather, but not as well as I had hoped. The window plastic helps.
I wish there was a gas hookup on the outside for cooking.
The inside floor is fantastic. feels solid, and looks great

Upgrades I have done so far
Bigger battery
Combo lock on the storage door
Led Lights
plastic window insulation(winter only)
electric heater (to cut down on moisture from propane)
Use 3m velcro to hang everything on walls including art, and mounting points for our tablet. We load it with movies and mount it in the bedroom or on the side of the fridge.
paper towel holder
coat hooks where tv should go beside fridge.

Upgrades yet to do
fantastic fan in the bathroom
Sound proof box for generator either up front (tight) or off the back bumper (may require welding to frame)
box up front for 2 6v batteries with shut off switch.
may flip the axles and install shocks.
replace speakers and maybe the stereo.
install outside speakers or at least jacks so we can plug in speaker box out there.
extra valve on the dump tanks. We had our black valve vibrate open once...never again!

That's it. I wanted a winter camping trailer, and I think this barely does the job. other seasons it is fantastic. I would buy again.
Marshall_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As another 19B owner, I will simply say that almost all of the things already said are true for me, too.

I'll be adding 12V outlets in the bedroom and near the dinette.

I upgraded the central ceiling vent to a fan. Love it.

I'll be working to get some protectant on the roof, walls, and front cap aluminum plate this week.

I really like this trailer. Seems very overbuilt for the size, and I like that.

Electric brakes were nearly worthless when new, but have won in very nicely. Smooth as silk.

Very happy 19B owner!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'll be working to get some protectant on the roof, walls, and front cap aluminum plate this week.
what were you thinking? I've done nothing. Was thinking of waxing after my next wash.
Marshall_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NuFinish twice a year on the fiber glass, Dicor for the roof, and whatever polish is on sale for the aluminum then NuFinish after the polish.