Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Dicor maintenance?

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to help prolong the lifespan of Dicor sealant applications?
matchmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchmangler View Post
Do you guys have any tips or tricks to help prolong the lifespan of Dicor sealant applications?

If you mean Dicor self leveling caulk then, after 15 years of RV'ing, no. It is kind of sacrificial and I just get up there every so often and inspect and every couple of years, scrape it off and redo.

There is one thing. After letting the Self Leveling caulk do it's thing some of us go back and neaten it up then cover the seams with Eternabond tape. When done right I have found that it will need no attention for as much as 10 years. It does take some work though.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
There really isn't a need to remove the old dicor, just clean it really good, till it's white again, then apply the new dicor over top.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

We are newbies to travel trailers. The tech who did our walkthrough mentioned that keeping the Dicor clean using Dawn dish soap would prolong it's life.

That didn't ring true to me but what do I know about all this... lol.
matchmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We are newbies to travel trthey work on comissionailers. The tech who did our walkthrough mentioned that keeping the Dicor clean using Dawn dish soap would prolong it's life.

That didn't ring true to me but what do I know about all this... lol.

Your instincts are good. Dawn might make it cleaner but it is a strong degreaser and those things are rarely recommended for roofing . Might or might not be OK. Beware the salesmen for they work on commission.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #6

I resealed the entire roof of one of my RVs with Dicor Step 1 and Step 2. When I was done, I had leftover Dicor roof sealant.

Because I didn't think this leftover (1/2 gallon) would keep for very long on my garage shelf, I decided to clean (just with water blast) the roof joints/vents/etc of one of my other RVs and then I put on 2 coats of this Dicor "paint" everywhere that had older dicor. It has the consistency of pancake batter (pretty thick). I probably could have cleaned the old dicor better prior to application, but I figured there would be zero harm putting two more coats on top of the older dicor. Looked great afterwards and I'm sure I helped protect all those joints for many extra years.

Good luck!

-Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Eternabond tape. That stuff lasts forever. Can't think of a time when I needed to pull it all up and start over once the Eternabond was down.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:55 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carport/ garage?

Tags
dicor, maintenance