Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Direct TV or Dish Satellite??

Just wondering which service you use and why? I am looking at upgrading my Satellite system and only want to do this one time. So I will ask the membership here and ask your experience with your service provider?

Thank You for your time and information
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What are your needs?

Do you want to record shows? More than one at a time?

Do you need HD, or is SD good enough?

How many TVs watching different shows at the same time?

Are you a full timer, or do you only want service seasonally?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Not a full timer. Would like to watch HD. 2 TVs . I use fiber optic at home now and will be switching my existing service and Bundle with a New service provider and include my coach in the New service. Quality of service and reliability is Most important. Customer service when problems arise. I am looking at the King VQ4100, or the VQ4500 and am hoping this forum will give me some direction for a Quality service provider.
I am looking at a portable system not replacing the existing King dome on the coach now. Again I Thank you All for your information and time in this matter
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If you want HD with a portable dome, Dish is your only choice. DirecTV HD is not available using a dome antenna.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Yeah, Your Are Correct, I forgot about that.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want DTV HD with a Genie receiver that can record 5 programs at once. Then a Trav'ler antenna is needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Dish in our S/B and have two 211 receivers in our MH. I added a separate hard drive and can record programs as well. When we change locations I use "Chat" to contact Dish and get the locals. It all works well.

With the two receivers we can watch two TVs or record on two.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Dish and portable antenna. My King Dome quit and it will take a fortune to get it running. I may take it off and get the traveler. My Tailgater gets all three sats and sets up faster than the Dome did.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Just wondering which service you use and why? I am looking at upgrading my Satellite system and only want to do this one time. So I will ask the membership here and ask your experience with your service provider?

Thank You for your time and information
primarily because they offer pay-as-you-go. we don't full-time so before we head out on a 3-month voyage we turn on the service by paying for a month up front. when we get home we simply stop paying the bill and the service shuts itself off. when i spoke with DTV about PAYG the rep seemed puzzled. we can also get the local channels simply by calling or texting DISH and changing our service location.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dish.

Reasons:
-Portable dome antenna provides full service incl. HighDef.
-Real Pay-as-you-go account - But, no discounted contract period rates are allowed.
-Inexpensive purchase for RV recommended (ruggedized) equipment (no lea$e fee$ that never end).
-Very reasonable package rates that start at a very low price point.

BUT...If you are a BIG sports fan, I understand DirecTV has a slight edge over Dish for some...so I have been told.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
First... I cannot discuss about DirectTV as I've never had it.

However, if you want the same system at home and then take your receiver with you in the motorhome, I highly recommend DISH. We have two 722 dual receivers and I put both in the motorhome when traveling. That gives each TV a separate dual receiver that has the capability to record two programs and watch another at the same time....or watch a live program while recording another.

We tried just having one dual receiver connected to both TV's and that just didn't work out as we (wife & I) have different likes and dislikes for TV programs.

As for the antenna on the motorhome....Wineguard Trav'ler is the perfect match for DISH and our two dual receivers. Push one button and it rises, seeks out, and locks onto all three DISH satellites with a minute or two.

Ron.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Probably depends what you have in your home. We have fiber in the house but prefer the choices of DirectV. We have had the DirectV service since 1996. Current setup is a HR-44 genie which can record five different HD channels while serving four different TV signals to four different TVs sets all from a 6 lb box with a 1T disk drive (200 hours of 1080P programming). The genie serves three TV in the coach and at home wirelessly through a video bridge and three C-41W clients. The clients are attached (Velcro) to the back of the TV (3x5x1" box) and connected by a 2' long HDMI cable to the TVs. The RF remotes are tethered to each client so only one remote will operate one TV. The single RG-6 coax runs from the antenna to the genie. Somewhere in the coax run is a splitter with a power inserter and the video bridge. Mine is above the frig. I move the entire 11 lb group of boxes in a Walmart bag from the house to the coach, so the prerecorded programs (mostly movies) go with us as do the 100 recording programs (season passes) on the series manager. For the antenna, I use a Slimline2 with the 13 channel LNB on a tripod with 200 ft of RG-6 coax. I setup the antenna with a Satlooklite meter which powers the antenna without the coach hook-up for elevation and azimuth. Tilt or skew is not required an the entire DirectV galaxy of 12 operational satellites are within four degrees azimuth. Total setup time is about one minute. It usually takes longer to run the coax that set-up the dish. DirectV allows one upgrade every two years, so when the equipment bay in the new coach was to small for the old wired setup, I got up graded for free. My monthly bill increased by $7 per month because of the extra TV added. If you are interested in UTV or 4K signals on the reverse band, then different equipment is required but is the same size as for HDTV just different frequencies. Lastly I tie my At&t XTE Mobley to the genie so so the genie has access to the internet. At&t does not charge DirectV customers for streaming on the genie, besides the Mobley comes with an unlimited data plan for $20 per month.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had dish at home years before we got our portable dish tailgater 6 years ago and love both. Great service always get a real person quickly 24/7. When the dish is not active in the MH for over a month a chat with dish for a re fresh and they will stay on the line with you until everything is good.

211k receiver with hard drive for recording. We hardly record as the 211k receiver only has 1 tuner so only able to record what you are watching. With the mobley wifi & unlimited data we able to stream netflix and amazon. Dish with commercials will get used less now.

Adding the dish to the MH only added $10 to my monthly bill and i get all the programing like at home.

You can do the pay as you go if not a dish at home customer.

They are continually upgrading their system.

Very user friendly guide and just about everything.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Another happy Dish subscriber. We do the Pay as you go, typically only stop it during the winter when coach is in storage.
Last year upgraded to a Travler and not looking back. Reception has always been good and quickly deploys and locks on. No more satellite switching or hunting when changing channels like we had with the dome.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite