Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2004, 06:04 AM   #1

You may recall from my post a few weeks ago that my wife gave me a Dirt Devil CV950 from rvupgrades.com for our anniversary. Well, after a series of delays (mostly threats and near-misses of hurricanes, etc) I finally got it installed in my '96 Suncruiser this week.

I wound up putting the unit on the passthrough shelf of the main basement storage compartment wher it is still fairly convenient to change the bag and clean the filters. I had to drill two holes through the double side wall of the compartment to get to the hole in the main floor where the gray water drain drops down. This also opened into the compartment below the refrigerator referred to later in this post. The white hose and the power and control wiring went through these holes. I used a sleeve of PVC through the metal sidewall to protect the hose and wiring.

I added a 110v outlet in the basement and connected it into the back of the exterior outlet circuit. The control wire broke off in the inlet switch, but I didn't want to use that anyway. Since I have a special needs son who is likely to be on the floor a lot, and has a curiosity for switches and knobs, I elected to mount a switch above the tank indicator panel next to the refrigerator. I got a rocker switch that matches the light switches in the coach and fished the wire down inside the wall to the compartment below the refrigerator that houses the converter and water heater. The inlet valve was mounted just above the vent cover into that compartment, which provided a convenient access for the valve and wiring installation. I had to bend the top tabs of the backing plate to keep it below the refrigerator support floor, but that worked well.

It took me a couple days to get everything finished, but I'm well satisfied with the results. Now I have to find a convenient space to store the hose and accessories. The Rugrat works well when moving with the carpet nap, but kinda stutters when going against the grain. I vacuumed the sawdust out of the wiring compartment, dust from the tops of upper cabinet doors, corners of everything, and other places the hand vac wouldn't reach or had been ineffective. I just may remove the hand vac from the coach. This is a great investment, and I may not let Judy use it. And as a final touch I installed the rvupgrades.com sticker on my bumper (the only sticker I have put on).

On another matter, we had removed the washer/dryer combo several months ago. I wound up installing a small refrigerator in that space, and rewiring the outlet to have full time power. Previously the washer outlet was shared through a switch with the microwave. With a family that includes five small children, this will give us much needed refrigerated space for extended travel. The washer was too small to be of much value to us, so we'll continue to collect our quarters for the Ft Wilderness laundry (a major investment every trip).

Now I think I'll go vacuum something...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2004, 06:04 AM   #2

You may recall from my post a few weeks ago that my wife gave me a Dirt Devil CV950 from rvupgrades.com for our anniversary. Well, after a series of delays (mostly threats and near-misses of hurricanes, etc) I finally got it installed in my '96 Suncruiser this week.

I wound up putting the unit on the passthrough shelf of the main basement storage compartment wher it is still fairly convenient to change the bag and clean the filters. I had to drill two holes through the double side wall of the compartment to get to the hole in the main floor where the gray water drain drops down. This also opened into the compartment below the refrigerator referred to later in this post. The white hose and the power and control wiring went through these holes. I used a sleeve of PVC through the metal sidewall to protect the hose and wiring.

I added a 110v outlet in the basement and connected it into the back of the exterior outlet circuit. The control wire broke off in the inlet switch, but I didn't want to use that anyway. Since I have a special needs son who is likely to be on the floor a lot, and has a curiosity for switches and knobs, I elected to mount a switch above the tank indicator panel next to the refrigerator. I got a rocker switch that matches the light switches in the coach and fished the wire down inside the wall to the compartment below the refrigerator that houses the converter and water heater. The inlet valve was mounted just above the vent cover into that compartment, which provided a convenient access for the valve and wiring installation. I had to bend the top tabs of the backing plate to keep it below the refrigerator support floor, but that worked well.

It took me a couple days to get everything finished, but I'm well satisfied with the results. Now I have to find a convenient space to store the hose and accessories. The Rugrat works well when moving with the carpet nap, but kinda stutters when going against the grain. I vacuumed the sawdust out of the wiring compartment, dust from the tops of upper cabinet doors, corners of everything, and other places the hand vac wouldn't reach or had been ineffective. I just may remove the hand vac from the coach. This is a great investment, and I may not let Judy use it. And as a final touch I installed the rvupgrades.com sticker on my bumper (the only sticker I have put on).

On another matter, we had removed the washer/dryer combo several months ago. I wound up installing a small refrigerator in that space, and rewiring the outlet to have full time power. Previously the washer outlet was shared through a switch with the microwave. With a family that includes five small children, this will give us much needed refrigerated space for extended travel. The washer was too small to be of much value to us, so we'll continue to collect our quarters for the Ft Wilderness laundry (a major investment every trip).

Now I think I'll go vacuum something...
Old 10-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ken -

Glad the vacuum and the installation went well!

I thought I would add our review of the vacuum here as well.

***OVERVIEW***
Ever since I bought my first RV I wanted a central vacuum system. I have been using a Dirt Devil hand vac that was given to me as a gift about 5 years ago and it is great for carpeted sections, but connecting the hose attachment was just not practical. So I carried the hand vac (which had a beater bar) and a small shop vac for getting into corners and on hard surfaces. When we came across the CV950 I was very interested and investigated further. We brought in a test unit and I was so excited to test it out, we set it up in our offices. This little vacuum has some serious power, and when I was using it I would swear it was a full size system. When I saw that the RugRat unit (beater bar system) was powered by the suction of the vacuum I was concerned that it would not work very well. So we added the RugRat to the end of the hose and I was amazed at the power! I tried to stop the bar from turning by applying a bunch of pressure and yes you can stop it, but you would never stop it during normal use nor does it really even slow down. This tool really works great.

***INSTALLATION***
The hardest part of the installation was picking a spot to install the unit. I installed my unit under the back bed. If I had to do it over I would probably look for a more central spot in the RV. My motorhome is 40' and it is pushing the limits of the hose to reach to the front drivers area. It does make it, but it would have been easier if it was installed at the mid-point of the RV. Other than that it was very straight forward and the kit includes all of the hardware you will need.

***FINAL THOUGHTS***
A big concern for me when I was thinking about a central vacuum system was suction power. I figured if the unit was so compact it would not have any power. That is not the case with CV950, you'll think your using a big house vac system. On our first trip with this system we traveled about 7 hours with 5 young children and 4 adults. There was not alot of free time once we reach our destination, but there was no way I was going to leave the cracker crumbs and other items dropped onto the floor. I was so happy to pull out the 7' hose (stretches to 30') plug in the hose and I was cleaning! I zipped around the RV and in no time had the place spic and span. I was so happy I installed this unit, it really makes your life easier during cleanup. The only negative item I could find with the systems was a high pitch whistle which would start if you stretched the hose to the full 30' point. I think I found it because my unit is installed in the back of the RV and I was stretching it to the cab. By adding a wand section it eliminated it from happening and it made it easier to get where I was going anyway. I spoke to the factory and they where aware that it could happen, but 99% of the time the hose would not be stretched to that point. What happens is as the hose is stretched to that maximum point the air spins on the inner ribs of the hose causing the whistle. With the addition of a tool or wand disrupted this from happening. It is not a big deal, but did want to mention it if you ever had it happen and what you can do to eliminate if you are continually have to stretch the hose to the maximum point with out a tool.

Available at RVupgrades.com
Old 10-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Our new 5th wheel (see signature) came with the Dirt Devil central vacuum system. Sandy loves it! And if she's happy, I'm happy.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #5

QUESTIONS to those who have this....
Our current small upright bagless (I think it is a eureka) tends to blow fine dust out the exhaust. <LI>Where is the exhaust on this central unit?
<LI> Can it be routed outside or into a storage compartment?
<LI> Does it use bags?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:58 PM   #6

The Dirt Devil CV 950 uses a bag and three filters. The filters are in the part of the housing where the bag goes, and provides additonal filtering before any dust, that might slip past the bag, reaches the motor area. As I recall, these filters are washable, but I doubt they have to be cleaned very often. As pointed out in the literature, the time between bag changes depends on your living conditions and amount of use the unit gets. It's something each user will have to determine for himself (or herself).

There is usually no air discharge inside the RV, however that depends on where you mount the unit. Even if the unit location (under a dinette or in a closet) necessitates exhaust air being discharged into the living space, it would be essentially clean air due to the bag and filters.

Due to the placement and type of louvers on the unit for exhausting the air, it doesn't appear venting to the outside would be an easy thing to do, but I wouldn't think it necessary, either, especially if the unit is in the basement.

Most posts I've read have the unit installed in a basement compartment which is convenient to routing the intake hose, power wire, and control (on/off) wiring somewhere near the middle of the living space in the RV. This basement location also keeps most of the noise out of your living space. It's quite a powerful unit, so there is some noise associated with creating that much suction.

When bought through rvupgrades.com, extra bags, a power head called Rugrat, and tons of accessory nozzles are included. I was surprised at the flexibility of the intake hose, which stretches to 30 feet, plenty for my 37" motorhome. Over all, I am well pleased with this addition to my traveling life.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #7

I recently purchased the dirt devil central vac and vac pan for my brand new 06 Itasca Meridian. I cannot find any instructions for the vac pan, and I'm not sure it was installed correctly. I have used a vac pan from another manufacturer, and all I needed to do was open the pan for the vacuum suction to pull in the crumbs from sweeping. Do I need to do something else with this unit? If I open the vac pan nothing happens until I also open the central vac opening.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #8

I don't have the vac pan or can I find the instructions, but from the pictures I've seen there is a switch and connection terminals on it that should activate the vacuum.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yes, the vac pan has the same switch that the inlet door has. You will need to run 2 wires back to the vacuum to make it work.

Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #10

I just purchased it and is an easy install. I put it in my compartment near the door and put the vac plate in the cabinet coming up the entry. This is a central point for the hose. Works great and lots of suction. paid 252 at rvupgrades. good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote