Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drop Sunshade for WeatherPro Awning

Thinking of getting a sun shade for our awning. Did a few searches on here but they are old.

My weatherpro automatic awning when extended is 10' from the ground. i see advertised 2 piece shades. I'd guess the attached smaller piece would most likley be 2' or 3' so the remainder could be attached from the ground. Then only the 3' foot section would roll up with the shade.

yes i am aware that i will have to disable the wind sensor.

Wondering what you all have, how you like it and any insight to help in my search.

If i chose to make one myself ( well not me buty a good friend who is a master sail maker) where would you get the piece that gets sewn into the fabric then slid into the rail?
Bruce
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #2

Shade Pro here in California sells the shades for about the cost of the material. If interested, give them a call and they'll tell you how to measure the awning and fitment of the shade. I had one of their shades on my 2010 Winnebago and used it for 6 years and it still looked good when I sold that coach. I'm sure the new owner is also using it. Shade Pro (619) 328-1620 RV Awnings & Accessories - Shadepro
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have the shadepro as well with a two-foot section that gets rolled into the awning when stored. Works great.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #4

On a previous Fifth Wheel, I bought a 16' long by 8' sun shade. I staked it down to the ground with shock cords and some heavy tent pegs, the 18" long variety, not the little ones that came with the shade. The shock cords allowed it to give a little in light winds. Problem is when the winds pick up to the point you need to retract the awning, it's a pia to undo everything and in gusting winds you will entertain everyone within sight with your version of the Keystone Cops.

As to the sailmaker friend of yours, he will know where to get the slide in rope for the track. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't have various diameters laying around.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
We have the shadepro as well with a two-foot section that gets rolled into the awning when stored. Works great.
^^ X2

Good travels.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered the Shadepro 15' X 9' which has a 3' top section. My awning roller is 10' off the ground.

Saved my sailmaker friend some work as the material would have cost close to what i paid for a complete well designed shade.

Not to hijack the thread but while we are talking shades on another topic they were posting awnings unfurling while traveling. Now thats a scary thing. I just bought a $39 awning travel lock. CLICK HERE This will save my awning AND the 3' section of the Shadepro not to mention all the other damage to the coach that could happen.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #7

I bought a ready made sunshade but as far a Shade Pro I have used them several times to replace and repair all the awnings on my fifth wheel while at Quartzsite. Very good service and good prices.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

Shade pro for us as well-both the shade (15X8) and the end. The 8 ft drop has a 2 foot section after you drop or unzip the main part.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Ordered the Shadepro 15' X 9' which has a 3' top section. My awning roller is 10' off the ground.
Received my shade pro 15' X 9' the other day only to realize my roller 10' off the ground is really several inches higher when the coach is leveled. That was my error. Then the 9' drop was only 8' 7", shade pro error. To add to MY errors I ordered their standard 15' width and should have been 16'

So hanging my head low I call shade pro to see what can be done. They said no problem they will make a custom cut and a 16' X 10' will be delivered. No additional charges as they said my original order should have been a 9' drop. Also a return shipping label for the errors by me and them.
Now this is an OUTSTANDING company with a great product.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Thinking of getting a sun shade for our awning. Did a few searches on here but they are old.

My weatherpro automatic awning when extended is 10' from the ground. i see advertised 2 piece shades. I'd guess the attached smaller piece would most likley be 2' or 3' so the remainder could be attached from the ground. Then only the 3' foot section would roll up with the shade.

yes i am aware that i will have to disable the wind sensor.

Wondering what you all have, how you like it and any insight to help in my search.

If i chose to make one myself ( well not me buty a good friend who is a master sail maker) where would you get the piece that gets sewn into the fabric then slid into the rail?
Bruce
This is going off topic just a bit, but how does a person disable the wind sensor? Where is the wind sensor? And can it be made less sensitive? Mine will go up with a breeze that hardly moves the leaves. Thanks in advance.
dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

It all depends on which manufacturer supplied the awning. Find out the brand name and give that company a call... Now, some rigs come with a setting. My previous coach had a "Low, Med, and High" setting on a rocker switch.

I still don't know how to adjust the 2 Girard Nova awnings on my current coach but one of these days I'll read up and figure it out.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, embarrassing as it is.....I looked in my stack of pamphlets.....and sure enough, there it was.....Location of controller and the enable/disable switch. It says the wind sensor is set for 18 mph but doesn't say if it can be adjusted more or less.
dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

This prompted me to find my wind sensor. It's actually in the awning. I have 2 Girard awnings that run the entire length of the coach the sensors are in the "motor" end of the awnings so in this case the rear awnings sensor is closest to the center of the coach and the front awnings sensor is located in the end closest to the center of the coach. I have to remove the sensor, open its case and adjust a knob to change the parameters
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennys67 View Post
This is going off topic just a bit, but how does a person disable the wind sensor? Where is the wind sensor? And can it be made less sensitive? Mine will go up with a breeze that hardly moves the leaves. Thanks in advance.
I have a Dometic (A&E) WeatherPro Power Awning. Not sure where my wind sensor is located on the awning but did find the controller where the settings are made to disable or change the wind speed to activate. It was located under the refigerator behind a cover where the proprane heater is then attached the side wall.
I should find the sensor as my owners manual indicates it could get dirty or obstructed and not work as it should. Awning being 10' off the ground and not an easy way to check.

Tags
awning