Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Jim

i saw the same posting for 3.79 but they wanted over $8 for shipping to fl..i saw another discussion where someone said they bought this at home depot so i'll try there first..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #16

Homer: thanks for the tips on the use of dielectric grease. Do you know if CRC is another option for the 30-50amp plugs? I have used CRC on boats for many years but never gave it a thought for the heavy plugs. I know it works to displace water and helps seal 12V connections around salt water. Maybe I am way off base.
Thanks and take care.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
fun time,

CRC does make a product for this application. It is 2-26, comes in a 5 oz. spray can. I got it at HD.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #18

Hi Denny - I must plead total ignorance when it comes to the product you mentioned "CRC". From the way you describe CRC, it sounds as though it would do the job. However since "GP Ox-Guard" cost so little and is usable for so many things around a motor home; I think I would opt in for a 1 oz tube of it. I paid $2.19 each for two tubes, two years ago. Regards~~ Homer
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #19
Jim

hi..i purchased GB ox-guard at lowes today for 2.82 plus tax..1 oz tube..home depot had a similar product IDEAL brand but not ox-guard..both had CRC in spray cans and the labeled usage sounded similar..thanks for all the replies..jim
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #20

Thanks Jim, Homer and Ithrnk for clearing up the CRC thing for me. Much appreciated
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #21

Contact and switch gear cleaner first then dielectric grease. Why treat a dirty connection.

Check out the recepticle at the campground also. Had the kids plug in for me once and almost lost the cord end due to the badly charred recepticle on the power post.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #22

There is nothing you can buy or use that will compensate for worn-out receptacles in RV park/CG wiring systems. These worn-out receptacles are the root cause of burned and melted plug contacts. The receptacle contacts work by spring pressure against the plug prongs; when they lose that spring pressure from over-use the only remedy is replacement.
Regrettably, this effect on our RV electrical equipment is often not noticeable nor detectable until it is too late. A qualified electrician can measure the resistance in the post receptacle and report it to the CG management, but getting them to replace the worn-out parts is another matter.
I have replaced numerous 30A plugs on RV cords and extensions through the years due to this.
One indicator is to feel the plug while in-use. If it is hot to your touch it is the effect of high resistance(poor contact)due to a worn-out receptacle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #23
Jim

ray..it's true many campgrounds have poor hookups..before i bought my surge protector i had the little tester to check the plugs and several times found no ground connections or reversed hot lines..i was thinking where the plug is borderline the lube might help..better than nothing..my next thought is to get the 50 to 30 dogbone and use the 50 amp plug where available..they seem to be less damaged than the 30 amp..jim
Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the result of my most scientific test on this product and it's performance.

Camped at the in-laws and had only 20amp service. Ran extension cords and dog-bones to get service. Noticed that 20 to 30 amp connection was warm to touch. The 30-50 was fine. Applied the OxGuard to the blades of all the connections, after cleaning them, and ran power items in the coach to draw 20 amps for about half an hour. Checked 'feel' of the connections and they were NOT warm to touch.

It would appear that this stuff works. Have also noticed that plugs are easier to go in and out.

Only draw back is the material is black and picks up dirt/sand if dragged on the ground.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I use dielectric grease on the shore cord of my boat. I will always check the receptacle with a tester then turn off the power, clean with a contact cleaner, apply a small dab of dielectric grease, plug in and then turn on the power. I use CRC products I have found that they hold up best.

I also use dielectric grease on my Jeep in every electrical connector and have had no failure due to water. And have had the Jeep in water over the mirrors.

Tugboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #26

Tugboat, your picture reminds me of a website a guy from Kentucky ran for a few years. He bought a new Jeep and took it mudding regularly. The Jeep began experiencing electrical problems so he took it to the selling dealer. The dealer opened the electrical/computer boxes, found them full of mud and water. The dealer then voided the warranty of the entire vehicle.
This guy waged a campaign against Jeep/Dodge for a long time, trying to get his warranty re-instated. The last I remember was that Jeep notified him that they planned to sue him. Then suddenly his website disappeared.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
My Jeep has been out of warranty for years. But last December they put on a new catalytic converter because of a recall. There is not much left that is stock on her. For water crossing there is a CO2 system that keeps water out of the transmission, transfer Case, front & rear diferential's and distributer cap. plus outher mods.
Tugboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tugboat:
My Jeep has been out of warranty for years. But last December they put on a new catalytic converter because of a recall. There is not much left that is stock on her. For water crossing there is a CO2 system that keeps water out of the transmission, transfer Case, front & rear diferential's and distributer cap. plus outher mods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
UPDATE: Tugboat, I forgot to mention that dielectric grease is a non-conductor of electricity. Just run an internet search for "dielectric". My 2nd retirement was from the 2nd largest electrical transmission equipment manufacturer in the world. I designated using a graphite grease for applications requiring low resistance conductivity and lubrication at voltages in transmission lines, specifically transformer cutouts and fuses.