Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Extended Stay Connection

On my 2016 Bounder I have the Extended Stay Connection on the Propane tank which also allows me to connect a hose to run my Camp Chef Grill. The Grill has it's on regulator and works great. The problem is when I go to disconnect the hose there is so much pressure in the hose it comes blasting out of the hose as soon as I start to disconnect, about froze my fingers off the first time and then had to change underwear . If I shut off the propane at the main tank, there is still so much pressure in the line not to mention that the propane line in the bus is bled off. Got to be a way to put a valve on or in line to the BBQ connection so I could at least bleed or burn off the propane in the line to the BBQ without freezing my fingers off or setting fire to myself
ZiggySmerlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggySmerlap View Post
On my 2016 Bounder I have the Extended Stay Connection on the Propane tank which also allows me to connect a hose to run my Camp Chef Grill. The Grill has it's on regulator and works great. The problem is when I go to disconnect the hose there is so much pressure in the hose it comes blasting out of the hose as soon as I start to disconnect, about froze my fingers off the first time and then had to change underwear . If I shut off the propane at the main tank, there is still so much pressure in the line not to mention that the propane line in the bus is bled off. Got to be a way to put a valve on or in line to the BBQ connection so I could at least bleed or burn off the propane in the line to the BBQ without freezing my fingers off or setting fire to myself
The connector on the Extend-a-Stay for your grill is like the one on a throw away bottle. When using a bottle, you will get a brief "Pfft" of escaping pressurized gas as the bottle is disconnected. Typically, the small bottles are connected very close to the regulator.

In your set up, the regulator is quite a distance from the high pressure tank due to the length of hose. The pressure inside the hose is very high, up until the regulator, where it is reduced to 0.39 psi for the grill burner. Turn off the grill and the high pressure gas remains in the hose. Turn off the tank knob, and the pressure remains high in the hose. Start to disconnect the hose from the Extend fitting, and the gas escapes back onto your hands.

You should have a capped port on the Extend-a-Stay for connection directly to a remote tank. Turn off the grill, turn off the main tank knob, and slowly loosen/remove the cap. That will allow the gas from the hose to bleed out. Then, remove the grill hose from the Extend-a-Stay. Don't forget to turn the main tank valve back ON.

You could put a ball valve on a T in the line to the grill, as you suggest. You would still have to turn off the main tank knob, then open the ball valve to bleed the gas in the line. However, as I envision your set up, the main line to the bus will still bleed off because you are reducing pressure directly from the inlet side of the coach pressure regulator, which is on the other end of the Extend-a-Stay.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #3

My son-in-law are sort of one-upping each other with camping things. He has the upper hand with the Extend a stay. I bough the old style and I gave it no thought until I disconnected the grill for the first time. I don't care for that either.

His has "quick connects". So when he disconnects it's just a little quick pop and done. No threading and fiddling with freezing fingers for him. High on my list is converting to quick connects. Gotta keep up with those Joneses.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #4

ZS-

Shut off the gas with the tank valve, and leave the grill burners going. They will burn off the gas in the hose. Then disconnect the hose.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.
ZiggySmerlap is offline   Reply With Quote