Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #15

Speaking as someone that has had a halon extinguisher bottle blow in their face, they take away all oxygen

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #16

If the cause of the heat and fuel is melting plastics, from shorted electrical things, removing the O2 will put the flames out.

Halon systems are common in boat engine rooms but the system also need to shut down the electrical power, engine, and outside ventilation blowers. Otherwise the heat and fuel will still be there and the O2 will return.

If your fighting an electrical fire, Halon, or any temporary O2 displacing product, isn't always going to work.
Diesel pusher engine rooms are not sealed like boat engine or computer rooms. If the Halon system goes off, be ready to re-fight the fire, if electrical.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #17

Something you can breathe and bonus if you have enough to douse yourself and others. You are not looking to suppress the fire, you are looking on getting all out without being killed.

One by every bed and seat, and make sure all know how to use them, practice is best. Also practice escape.

Mac's advice is to be heeded!

I have two by my bed, and two under my seat, one for each hand, and two in the middle. DD has one at her head as well. DW has one at her pillow too.

Get DW headed out bedroom escape window, get DD out, exit, and keep others away.

I am odd that I have plenty of practice from racing days. Was worse then as methanol fire is only visible by the heat waves (but is easily handled by bathing with water). So I have a healthy respect for fire, but will not be panicked.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Dom

I totally agree with MNawman, One in the bedroom is a must. If you wake up to flames at 2am, it could be your only way out
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #19

Zero are required in most cases.

Next, the type and location depend on the intended use.

I would have one accessible in any sleeping area at minimum. I am a fan of the 2.5lb ABC units. They are relativity combat and still carry a good load. For theses units/type they are intended to save human life and get out.

There are many types with many specific uses.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #20

Tundra (foam) are water-based, hence can't store below freezing. I keep 1 within arm's reach of the galley, along with an el cheapo pizza pan to cover a grease fire in a fry pan. The numbers on an extinguisher refer to how many square feet of fire that extinguisher can handle. Thus a 1A10BC (typical size that comes in an RV) is rated to only handle a ONE SQUARE FOOT "Ordinary Combustibles" fire - wood/cloth/paper/etc! The 10 BC means 10 square feet of electrical or flammable liquid fires (spilled diesel, etc). I moved the mount for that original to an area near the bed, since the converter/fuses are close by. I installed a 3A40BC near the door. This size usually has a flexible hose on it, making it easier to direct the powder into tight spaces. As stated by others, goal of an extinguisher is to buy time to EXIT the rig. If the fire goes out, so much the better. Additional 3A40BC in the rear of the toad. This knowledge/placement comes from 42 years in fire service... ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #21

I keep an extinguisher in the bedroom, kitchen, and garage. They are only there to give us a chance to get out of there in a fire. I figure once a fire starts it will be fully engulfed by the time any help gets there. The plus side is a new RV!
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I keep an extinguisher in the bedroom, kitchen, and garage. They are only there to give us a chance to get out of there in a fire. I figure once a fire starts it will be fully engulfed by the time any help gets there. The plus side is a new RV!
You beat me to the punch. I only am conserend with getting out. The insurance company can handle the rest and get me a new RV
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Always get the biggest you can fit.. Halon best as it will kill a fire and you can still breath, that's important inside. Its used in Clean rooms so no issue with electronics.
Halon is no longer available because it damages the ozone layer.

The old commercials showing people is a room that was on fire and then smothered by Halon are mis-leading. Halon is heavier than air, so it sinks. Standing will typically place your head above the Halon layer. It significantly oversized, it would fill the room high enough that you would not have any air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I thought Halon removed the oxygen from the air thus killing the fire.
Halon, like carbon dioxide "displaces" the air around a fire, thus smothering.

Computer rooms that use gaseous fire depressant sound and alarm and give you 30 second to exit before the gas was released. (I used to work in a computer server room where it would take all 30 seconds to get from the back corner to a door !)

EDIT : Halon 1301 is still available, but it is not commonly used for large area automatic fire suppression.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #24

I like CO2 extinguishers because they leave no residue. The dry chemical used in most extinguisher is difficult to clean up.

CO2 extinguishers are larger, heavier and more expensive, especially in the common 1A-10BC size.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Halon is no longer available because it damages the ozone layer.......

[/B]
Not true, plenty of Halon units listed on eBay and elsewhere.

Agree that in most cases fire extinguishers are for a little time to get out if ever needed by what ever route you can use. Small grease stove fires can likely be handled by foaming extinguishers or as mentioned above pizza pan.

In our 5th, I have one 5lb ABC in the truck cab, a foaming unit in the back of the truck bed, another foam unit in the kitchen area, a Halon mounted in the frig chimney, one 5Lb ABC in a driver's side basement compartment, one ABC in the living/dinning area and another ABC in the bedroom.

This season I'll be adding another foaming unit in the bedroom area. Basically always have at least one within easy reach.

I've been switching to Nest brand fire/CO alarms. Also have added alarms to most basement compartments. The nice thing about the Nest units is that are all networked. If one goes off the others will also sound and tell you which one was triggered by a designated name you assigned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

…In our 5th, I have one 5lb ABC in the truck cab, a foaming unit in the back of the truck bed, another foam unit in the kitchen area, a Halon mounted in the frig chimney, one 5Lb ABC in a driver's side basement compartment, one ABC in the living/dinning area and another ABC in the bedroom.…

How do you store the extinguishers in your truck and truck bed? Is heat buildup inside the truck an issue?
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heat does not seem to have ever been an issue. One is on the cab floor and the bed unit is mounted to the side wall in the box just inside of the tailgate with a velcro strap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #28

Actually, Halon (and equivalents) work by disrupting the chemical process of fire, which is actually just a rapid oxidation process, not by simply displacing oxygen like a CO2 extinguisher would. The science of fire is more complicated than the simple fire triangle you learned of heat, fuel, and oxygen.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire