Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

Fire Extinguisher Questions

I want to get some fire extinguishers for our fifth wheel. I’m looking for advice on what type and size to buy. How many do you have? Any recommendations on locations? Where do you keep yours?
Thanks in advance!
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced the OEM 2 lb with a 4 lb.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidde-Pro...0-B-C/16564926

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

I bought some small ABC extinguishers from Lowe’s and keep one by the bed, and three in various outdoor compartments. I recently bought a foam extinguisher I keep in my second bay on the drivers side for an engine fire. I plan to get a dedicated engine system soon. I keep one in the BBQ compartment or set it outside when I lock the compartment door. I keep one in the wet bay, and usually keep that door unlocked. I also bought two of the small foam extinguishers for the kitchen. I keep all of them up front and visible where I can get them quickly. I lay the dry chem on their side to keep the powder loose and check the gauges as part of my pre trip checklist.

Mark
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #4

I replaced my Kidde FE with these Tundra spray cans, https://m.lowes.com/pd/tundra-fire-e...AaAlp6EALw_wcB, so much easier to store and you can put in more convenient locations.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I replaced my Kidde FE with these Tundra spray cans, https://m.lowes.com/pd/tundra-fire-e...AaAlp6EALw_wcB, so much easier to store and you can put in more convenient locations.

I like the idea of being able to have something reasonably light and readily accessible to use, especially in the kitchen. I might use some Velcro to anchor these in place. I just saw on Amazon that the recommended storage temperature on the Tundra extinguisher is 32°-107°. Something to be aware of.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I bought some small ABC extinguishers from Lowe’s and keep one by the bed, and three in various outdoor compartments. I recently bought a foam extinguisher I keep in my second bay on the drivers side for an engine fire. I plan to get a dedicated engine system soon. I keep one in the BBQ compartment or set it outside when I lock the compartment door. I keep one in the wet bay, and usually keep that door unlocked. I also bought two of the small foam extinguishers for the kitchen. I keep all of them up front and visible where I can get them quickly. I lay the dry chem on their side to keep the powder loose and check the gauges as part of my pre trip checklist.

Mark

Do you happen to know the brand of the foam extinguishers for your kitchen?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Both of our extinguishers are ABC. One is a 4-5 lb, which I keep in the bathroom under the sink. The other is a small wall mount unit by the door.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #8

I appreciate the replies. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I bought 4 small foam Extinguishers from Mac the fire guy. One in the bedroom, one next to the stove, one next to the door and one in the toad. They fit easily into bicycle water bottle holders. He also recommended DP owners to install a smoke and ion? detector in the bedroom ceiling above the engine to detect an engine fire. He claimed one advantage of the foam extinguisher is you can spray yourself while waiting for your partner to climb out the escape window. Somehow I think you’d be overcome by toxic fumes before flames got to you. Hope none of us find out!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Something to think about is the clean up after the fire. Dry chemical extinguishers make a big mess and are extremely corrosive. Another type I have considered is CO2. They aren't rated for wood and paper fires (type A) because they won't extinguish embers but I can do that with water in a spray bottle. They also don't leave any residue at all. Personally I'd go for some foam or CO2 extinguishers and keep one with arm's reach of the driver's seat, you may need to fight your way out of the rig. Also, like one of the other posters noted, make sure the temperature range is within what you will experience. Personally I'd want something good down to at least 0 deg. F., maybe lower. Whatever you choose make sure you do your maintenance.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #11

Yosemite, I bought the two pack of Tundra extinguishers from Amazon. I tried one out on a small grease fire and it worked well. I would prefer foam extinguishers, but they are dangerous on electrical fires. As the other poster commented, the dry chem makes a mess and is corrosive, but is better than the RV going up in flames and possibly destroying other property and or lives.

Mark
Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #12

I want something that’s quick and easy to use in the kitchen, so I’m going to go with Tundra extinguishers there.
I’m also going to add a couple dual type smoke detectors as well.

Beware of the Tundra 2 pack price on Amazon. It’s $29.87 for a 2 pack. Singles are available for $12.58. Most of the big box stores charge $12.58 as well.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #13

Always get the biggest you can fit.. Halon best as it will kill a fire and you can still breath, that's important inside. Its used in Clean rooms so no issue with electronics.

I have them all over my shop and in ever vehicle I have.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #14

I thought Halon removed the oxygen from the air thus killing the fire.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire