Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Gel Coat Finish Restore Recommendations

Hi Everyone!

I have a 2001 Monaco LaPalma with yellowed gelcoat that needs to be restored. I am looking for recommendations for a product I can apply myself. If you have had good success with a product, I would appreciate your input. Thank You!
Sumi4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

I would recommend using BOSS™ FAST CORRECTING CREAM by Griot's Garage.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...cting+cream.do

With their Orange Pad and their G9 Random Orbital Polisher.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...al+polisher.do

Watch their videos on how to apply.
Contractor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #3

I might go check out some marinas and see what they have to say and maybe look at some boating forums. This is not an unusual issue for boaters. Another place to look for stuff might be West Marine, Griots Garage sells good stuff but it tends to be on the pricey side. Whatever you do it's going to involve some sort of rubbing compound and a buffer. Be careful with the buffers you can scorch the gel coat if you spend too much time in one spot. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #4

Thank You! I will check their website out.
Sumi4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Gelcoat can be fun to work with. While the Boss is no doubt a great product and you can't go wrong with Griot's Garage products. Look for dedicated gel coat polishes.

Such as: https://www.amazon.com/menzerna-Mari...s%2C391&sr=8-2

As an old bodyman I made the mistake of using my old school knowledge and bought Menzerna's 2400 to polish my Class C with. While the results are great, they could have been better had I researched Menzerna's line better beforehand.

Here is what 150 hours of polishing and new stripes accomplished:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3774 copy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	334176

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4400.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	334175

I only did a single-stage, mid-grade polish. When what I should have used was their gel coat 1 step product. I went through 2 wool pads as well.

After I finished the new stripes I ceramic coated the wholes rig. The whole front and from the "belt line" down got 2 coats, the rest got only one coat of ceramic.

Nothing requires scrubbing to wash off anymore. Just a quick wipe with the wash wand and lambswool pad. Even bugs that were left on for 3500 miles and 3 weeks, just pushed off.