RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #1

Generator/ Invertor, Ryobi

I have a Ryobi 1800 watt operate and 2300 surge watt. Bought it to keep batteries up on my toyhauler. For microwave or A/C I use my on board Onan. This thing is hard to start even if been sitting only for 1 day. I do use good fuel. Have checked spark plug. But my bigger problem is very unpredictable on whether or not it will charge the trailer, sometimes it will, more often than not it won’t, it will overload and trip off. It ran fine and charged batteries, 9000 feet in Co. 2 weeks later in Moab at 5900 feet it constantly overloaded and tripped out. I usually start and let it run few minutes before plugging in, with in few seconds it trips out. I am really hoping someone will steal it from me, this thing is very frustrating, but I have to think it should simply charge the batteries, that’s all I want it to do. Any idea on why it is unpredictable, or did I just make a bad purchase.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Are you trying to start it with it already hooked up to power? That's the only thing I can think of, but I did for a short time have a Westinghouse model that was hard to start. Maybe they are the same basic design??? I replaced it with a Champion which starts really well.

As to the charging issue, are you checking the load placed on the generator when you hook it to your RV? Perhaps you have other things on besides the converter, such as maybe the water heater???
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

I did screw up on the water heater, but after a few well chosen words towards the ryobi, turned water heater off and still would trip out. I have even unplugged microwave, even tho it was not in use. Turned off fridge, turned off invertor, me really thinks bad genny. Wondering if convertor can be pulling too much?
Old 10-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Think I have the same Gen. For it to trip you have something else on that is a heavy load. As far as starting run gas with Sta-bil in it, there are several vids on it. As far as starting check plug gap and the choke through on the start wheel. My son a diesel mech said to run a little bit of 2 cycle oil in it as the carb running dry will gum up the needle valves. Not enough to make it smoke, just a little. Ever seen a chain saw not start from old gas, 2 cycle.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #5

Had a chance to test this genny yesterday. Trailer is currently home in garage, plugged in to a 30 amp plug. So, I unplugged from shore power, turned off all circuit breakers, started genny and plugged in. 1 by 1 turned breakers on and genny ran like a champ. Turned on microwave, it ran, turned on air conditioner, it ran. Turned on DW hair dryer, it ran. Each of these by themselves. I did replace GFI receptacle in bathroom couple weeks ago, breaker kept tripping, wondering if there could have been an issue there. Headed out next week for few weeks, boondocking, will keep fingers crossed, or could use this thing for target practice.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
I have a Ryobi 1800 watt operate and 2300 surge watt.
Bought it to keep batteries up on my toyhauler. For microwave or A/C I use my on board Onan.
This thing is hard to start even if been sitting only for 1 day. I do use good fuel.
Have checked spark plug. But my bigger problem is very unpredictable on whether or not it will charge the trailer, sometimes it will, more often than not it won’t, it will overload and trip off.
It ran fine and charged batteries, 9000 feet in Co. 2 weeks later in Moab at 5900 feet it constantly overloaded and tripped out.
I usually start and let it run few minutes before plugging in, with in few seconds it trips out.
I am really hoping someone will steal it from me, this thing is very frustrating, but I have to think it should simply charge the batteries, that’s all I want it to do.
Any idea on why it is unpredictable, or did I just make a bad purchase.
I have two of these - Love them - used them for house building as a light source and battery charger - they will run a single saw or drill but not two - For my purposes it would run 8-10 hours a day on a gallon/tank of fuel - was great for keeping the lights on and batteries charged for all the Battery tools.

So yes they will work fine - the biggest issue is the Gas and the Corn Fuel that's been added - it will mess up the carburetor - so add fuel treat, to prevent the issue, or real gas - if you leave bad fuel in for any length of time it will Clog up, making it hard to start - I just ordered two carbs for mine after letting them sit for months - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9LFQ3Q/ref=dp_prsubs_1 - best $16.00 i ever spent.

After rebuilding them I actually carried one all summer as a just in case - Never needed it - used the 8,000 watt Onan as it is just easy.

A note on hard to start one was easy right out of the Box and I used it most often - the other was Hard to start right out of the Box - when I changed the carbs Both became easy to start - one pull to get the fuel flowing second pull they both start. They both work great and I think they are just as good as the $1,000 Hondas - JMHO.

If I were you i'd invest the $16.00 on the Carb replacement and keep the Generator.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Post the video when you use it for target practice!!

Other than that, it sound’s like Busskipper has it figured out. Seems a bummer to have to replace a carb on something little used, but heck - it’s a cheap fix. And for sure - use fuel stabilizer. I store mine empty unless I am going to use them in the next few days - gas is such a problem these days.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #8

Wasn't mentioned, so throwing it out there that additional extension cord to get the noise away from the toy hauler can add additional load on the generator.

Also, load test at home would not have included much draw from the converter as the unit was plugged in and Batts would have been full. Amount of draw would depend on the batt state of charge and the capacity of the converter.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

Red face

Okay, I have good fuel with stabil in it, I use too much for fuel (loto of hour usage, never sits more than week or two) to go bad. I unplugged trailer yesterday to let batteries go down, will test again to see what happens. Will prolly get new carb and install,
Thanks
Old 11-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #10

What size charger are you using, see if you can find the specs on it.

The deeper the discharge on the batteries, the higher the amp draw of the charger, on the generator.

If its a converter/charger, besides charging the batteries, its covering the 12 volt loads in the RV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

I will need to hunt for specs on charger, but I agree, the lower the battery voltage, the more power draw to charge.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cannot deciper your text Ryobi vs Onan, but suspect Onan issue maybe FUEL PUMP (Amazon $25+/-)... FP= common cause/ cure
Old 11-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #13

Okay, let batteries drop down to 11.8 volts, trailer not plugged into shore power. Fired up Ryobi, all breakers off and plugged it in. Turned on 1 breaker at a time and as soon as convertor came on it bogged down and overloaded Ryobi. Read up on manual and this converter has a “charge wizard” feature. It was in boost mode, I changed to normal mode and Ryobi kept up just fine. The manual says it is “not recommended” to run outside of “boost” mode. There is also a “storage” mode. I left it on normal for now.
The problem is what I suspected, lower batteries requiring more juice to charge back up.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
Okay, let batteries drop down to 11.8 volts, trailer not plugged into shore power. Fired up Ryobi, all breakers off and plugged it in. Turned on 1 breaker at a time and as soon as convertor came on it bogged down and overloaded Ryobi. Read up on manual and this converter has a “charge wizard” feature. It was in boost mode, I changed to normal mode and Ryobi kept up just fine. The manual says it is “not recommended” to run outside of “boost” mode. There is also a “storage” mode. I left it on normal for now.
The problem is what I suspected, lower batteries requiring more juice to charge back up.
Been there.. Had batteries at 11.7 .. 3 of them. CHG wiz would trip breaker. Changed to 40 a breaker. Already had "8" wire. Used norm mode for 2 hours. Then back to auto..
Was still pulling 41 to 42 ampsfor a while. But held.

Back to ryobi. I have 2.. Starting. When they sit. 5 to 10. Slow pulls. Then. 2 or 3. Normal. Fires up. The slwpulls help fuel pump and get a crash charge in..
Also. Clean inner exhaust screen or mod.. They clog. .. Hard start .. Low out put.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator