Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #15

And FYI, the predator 3500 is $690. A lot of great reviews out there
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

A/c systems will spike at up to 40 amps when compressor and fan are started together.

check out the micro air easy start system. Its pricey but a staged start on the compressors. I tried the hard start caps. TGhey seemed to make very little difference on my generator (3300w champion). It ran the a/c but nothing else was usable while it was running.

All I can say is watch the video from micro air and make your decision.
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #17

Thanks everybody.

The micro air was on sale for cyber Monday, I should have got one.

So I guess it is safe to say 3400 watts is not enough. Might check out the dual 2200 Hondas
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #18

Yes. I have only used LP on my dual fuel 3400 Champion. It ran my 15 k this past summer several times. Also lent it to a friend when he broke down on the way to Anchorage on a very hot day. Ran his ac for hours while they waited for help. Also on LP. I'm really happy with mine. And I don't have anything added to my ac. It's stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslprd View Post
Is anyone running their 15k AC with the Champion 3400 dual fuel generator?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks everybody.

The micro air was on sale for cyber Monday, I should have got one.

So I guess it is safe to say 3400 watts is not enough. Might check out the dual 2200 Hondas
3400 watts should work fine. The only way it would kick off is if you are running microwave or maybe electric water heater(I use Propane when boondocking for water heater) when it kicks on.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #20

I have a 15k btu air conditioner in our camper. I recently installed an EasyStart and purchased a Honda EU2200i. In my limited use, the Honda has not had any issue running the AC. I live in Denver so this is at about 5,500' elevation. YMMV.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Hello all,
I am shopping for a generator for next season. I have read a bunch online and thought I had my mind made up for the Champion 3400 dual fuel. now after reading some more I am seeing a lot of people saying it will not start the 15k AC. I definitely trust this groups opinions over Amazon reviews, so hopefully some owners can reply with the real deal. Also would like to know if the dual 2200 watt Honda's would be better.

Thanks everyone
First of all, do you realize that you take a performance hit on propane versus gasoline? On gasoline it is rated at 3400 starting / 3100 running watts (about 25 amps of load current). On propane the engine delivers less power and memory says it can deliver only about 3000 starting watts and about 2800 running watts (about 22-23 amps).

That said, it will work if you are willing to install a soft-start kit into your air conditioner and have a multi step startup process.

First start the generator and let it warm up.
Second start the air conditioner on fan, and let it get stable (20-30 seconds).
Then third, dial the thermostat down past the set point (where the air conditioner compressor starts).

Some generically useful info on propane...
Propane tanks are filled by weight.
A 20 lb propane tank holds about 4.5 gallons of propane when filled to proper weight.
A 30 lb tank holds around 7 gallons.
A 40 lb tank holds about 9 gallons.

One advantage of dual generators and a parallel kit... if one dies the other still works. You might not be able to run a big load but you could run a house battery charger, a microwave, etc.
By the way, there are propane kits for the Honda 2200 series.

And yes, it's Harbor Freight and cheap chinese, but they have a "Predator" brand 3kw generator for about $700-$750...
However if you go that route then get the extended warranty!! An acquaintance is on his 3rd... the first and the second both died in under 50 hours on each. The third has lasted. The extended warranty saved his wallet.

Lastly... and this is important... generators - any brand - portable or not - have a maintenance schedule that is listed by operating hours... at 50 hours do X, at 100 hours do X and Y. At 200 hours do X and Y and Z. Etc.
ADD A RUNNING TIME METER (sometimes called a Hobbs meter or an hour meter). They are cheap! (anywhere from $10 to $50)
People always underestimate the running time. Having an RTM will save guessing.
Do the maintenance. It's cheap and beats having to replace the generator.
Look here:
If you do get dual generators then get an RTM for each one.

Mike
Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
First of all, do you realize that you take a performance hit on propane versus gasoline? On gasoline it is rated at 3400 starting / 3100 running watts (about 25 amps of load current). On propane the engine delivers less power and memory says it can deliver only about 3000 starting watts and about 2800 running watts (about 22-23 amps).

That said, it will work if you are willing to install a soft-start kit into your air conditioner and have a multi step startup process.

First start the generator and let it warm up.
Second start the air conditioner on fan, and let it get stable (20-30 seconds).
Then third, dial the thermostat down past the set point (where the air conditioner compressor starts).

Some generically useful info on propane...
Propane tanks are filled by weight.
A 20 lb propane tank holds about 4.5 gallons of propane when filled to proper weight.
A 30 lb tank holds around 7 gallons.
A 40 lb tank holds about 9 gallons.

One advantage of dual generators and a parallel kit... if one dies the other still works. You might not be able to run a big load but you could run a house battery charger, a microwave, etc.
By the way, there are propane kits for the Honda 2200 series.

And yes, it's Harbor Freight and cheap chinese, but they have a "Predator" brand 3kw generator for about $700-$750...
However if you go that route then get the extended warranty!! An acquaintance is on his 3rd... the first and the second both died in under 50 hours on each. The third has lasted. The extended warranty saved his wallet.

Lastly... and this is important... generators - any brand - portable or not - have a maintenance schedule that is listed by operating hours... at 50 hours do X, at 100 hours do X and Y. At 200 hours do X and Y and Z. Etc.
ADD A RUNNING TIME METER (sometimes called a Hobbs meter or an hour meter). They are cheap! (anywhere from $10 to $50)
People always underestimate the running time. Having an RTM will save guessing.
Do the maintenance. It's cheap and beats having to replace the generator.
Look here:
If you do get dual generators then get an RTM for each one.

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I don't really plan to run the generator on propane, But to have the option is pretty nice. I definitely will try the AC start up procedure. I saw someone else also posted about it. It makes sense to alleviate some of the stress on the generator by not having to start the Ac from a dead stop.
I was a contractor for quite a while and still have a few larger job site generators in my garage, they are far to obnoxious to ruin anyone else's weekend with. I am usually pretty good with all my gas engines and do the routine maintenance myself. I have hour gauges on a few of my engines and they do make keeping track of stuff a lot easier.

Truck broke down today, so my generator search is on hold for a bit. I need it for next summer, so hopefully i figure out which set up to get. I am getting intrigued by the dual honda setup the more I look. Every Honda small engine I have had have been flawless performers and provided long lifespans.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate them.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, air, generator