Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #57

785 & "the morning after"

Now spending around 12 hours of programming and feature testing, here are some highlights...or lowlights, depending on how you look at it.

SIZE:
One word, Silly. It's all fluff. In fact, the 785 has the IDENTICAL screen size as my 770. The extra inches are for the rubber case, and is thicker to provide room for the extra junk of Android, Camera, SD Card, and Mag-Mount.
WINNER: 770

SPEED:
All in all, not much difference than the 770. In many cases, the 770 hits the road faster. Yes, "some" functions that need the processor power of the Android backbone, do work faster. Some routing calcs are faster as well.
WINNER: TIE

CLARITY:
MEH. The 770 is a STUNNER in terms of brightness and crispness. The fact that the 785 is constantly dimming for the screen saver, really gives you the feeling of it being a lot less bright...and this holds true even when you wake it up. Side-by-Side, the 785 isn't as bright.

FEATURES:
The fact that the 785 has more searches and databases, makes it nicer for research. And having a browser certainly won't hurt either. I imagine you could even install some other apps, like Allstays, and have even more benefits. Haven't gone that far yet.
What most have bought the 785 for, though, is the Dash-Cam feature. So, Garmin needed an Android in order to do that. This comes at the expense (literally) of correct placement on the WINDSHIELD...NOT YOUR DASH. When I start testing, this may be a huge deal-breaker if I can't even SEE THE GPS SCREEN!!
WINNER: 785 in terms of "features"

MAP DISPLAY AND INFO:
Well, this is REALLY what we have these for, right? Well, I gotta tell ya...if someone gave me their $500 to buy them a GPS, I'd probably get them the 780 and happily give them some of their money in change. Reason being...I just don't see a huge and compelling difference when the GPS rubber hits the road. IN FACT, just as I seem to always be able to do...I found a GLARING OMISSION in their current software: NO GRADE data field!! Personally, this is a real disappointment; I've gotten very used to using that when I hit the hills. It's incredibly useful, not to mention interesting, to see the actual GRADE in my Trip Data fields. The 785 DOES NOT HAVE the option for displaying the GRADE. I contacted Garmin and they're filing a feature request. In the meantime, you'll still have to use the Elevation Profile display, which...to get the grade readout, you'll have to have the Elevation Graph be in the FULL screen mode.
WINNER: 770 (until Grade option is returned to the 785)

WORKING WITH BASECAMP & MAC:
Thankfully, my Chops are pretty sharp having dealt with the BS of a Garmin/Android device. Frankly, for the "Audience" they're shooting for with an "RV" GPS, I think they've done wrong. Sadly...It'll drive you nuts!! Can I make it work, yes...but not well, and not 100%.
You'll need the Android File Transfer app, which continuously monitors for the Android (Garmin) device to be plugged in. It'll auto-launch, allowing you access to the files of the Garmin and SD card. You don't need to use that Directory. But, it needs to be running so that BaseCamp can mount the Garmin! And, I'll tell you, it's NOT a fail-free connection! You must get everything running, USB plugged in, and then power up the 785. Still, you may find it needs to be repeated. Map reading/updating of the 785 via BC is agonizing. Then when you send the Routes/Trips to the 785, you'll be left with a "UPDATING" screen on the 785 for a long, long time...to the point where you'll finally unplug it, and start pressing buttons to continue. It's just not a pleasant experience...unless you like to play.

That's all I'll write, I'm sure a lot of you have already rolled your eyes, so I'm sorry if it's a huge and negative rant. But I love to help people learn through my experiences. Not sure if I'll keep the 785 just as a brain-exercise toy.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #58
NXR

Got the new Garmin RV 785 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Now spending around 12 hours of programming and feature testing, here are some highlights...or lowlights, depending on how you look at it.

SIZE:

One word, Silly. It's all fluff. In fact, the 785 has the IDENTICAL screen size as my 770. The extra inches are for the rubber case, and is thicker to provide room for the extra junk of Android, Camera, SD Card, and Mag-Mount.

SPEED:

All in all, not much difference than the 770. In many cases, the 770 hits the road faster. Yes, "some" functions that need the processor power of the Android backbone, do work faster. Some routing calcs are faster as well.

WINNER: TIE

CLARITY:

MEH. The 770 is a STUNNER in terms of brightness and crispness. The fact that the 785 is constantly dimming for the screen saver, really gives you the feeling of it being a lot less bright...and this holds true even when you wake it up. Side-by-Side, the 785 isn't as bright.

FEATURES:

The fact that the 785 has more searches and databases, makes it nicer for research. And having a browser certainly won't hurt either. I imagine you could even install some other apps, like Allstays, and have even more benefits. Haven't gone that far yet.

What most have bought the 785 for, though, is the Dash-Cam feature. So, Garmin needed an Android in order to do that. This comes at the expense (literally) of correct placement on the WINDSHIELD...NOT YOUR DASH. When I start testing, this may be a huge deal-breaker if I can't even SEE THE GPS SCREEN!!

WINNER: 785 in terms of "features"

MAP DISPLAY AND INFO:

Well, this is REALLY what we have these for, right? Well, I gotta tell ya...if someone gave me their $500 to buy them a GPS, I'd probably get them the 780 and happily give them some of their money in change. Reason being...I just don't see a huge and compelling difference when the GPS rubber hits the road. IN FACT, just as I seem to always be able to do...I found a GLARING OMISSION in their current software: NO GRADE data field!! Personally, this is a real disappointment; I've gotten very used to using that when I hit the hills. It's incredibly useful, not to mention interesting, to see the actual GRADE in my Trip Data fields. The 785 DOES NOT HAVE the option for displaying the GRADE. I contacted Garmin and they're filing a feature request. In the meantime, you'll still have to use the Elevation Profile display, which...to get the grade readout, you'll have to have the Elevation Graph be in the FULL screen mode.

WINNER: 770 (until Grade option is returned to the 785)

WORKING WITH BASECAMP & MAC:

Thankfully, my Chops are pretty sharp having dealt with the BS of a Garmin/Android device. Frankly, for the "Audience" they're shooting for with an "RV" GPS, I think they've done wrong. Sadly...It'll drive you nuts!! Can I make it work, yes...but not well, and not 100%.

You'll need the Android File Transfer app, which continuously monitors for the Android (Garmin) device to be plugged in. It'll auto-launch, allowing you access to the files of the Garmin and SD card. You don't need to use that Directory. But, it needs to be running so that BaseCamp can mount the Garmin! And, I'll tell you, it's NOT a fail-free connection! You must get everything running, USB plugged in, and then power up the 785. Still, you may find it needs to be repeated. Map reading/updating of the 785 via BC is agonizing. Then when you send the Routes/Trips to the 785, you'll be left with a "UPDATING" screen on the 785 for a long, long time...to the point where you'll finally unplug it, and start pressing buttons to continue. It's just not a pleasant experience...unless you like to play.

That's all I'll write, I'm sure a lot of you have already rolled your eyes, so I'm sorry if it's a huge and negative rant. But I love to help people learn through my experiences. Not sure if I'll keep the 785 just as a brain-exercise toy.

I've not had any issues yet with the dashcam with the 785 on the beanbag mount velcroed to the dash. With the massive front blind spot on all Class A's it kind of works out.

The fact that Garmin chose to use an end-of-life version of Android is disappointing. But all thingies need an operating system of some sort and it's usually a Linux variant even if that fact is hidden from you. When I worked in IT Security the number of "appliance" vendors using way out of date versions of Linux were definitely in the majority.

If I was less lazy and wanted to install a separate dash cam I'd have stuck with the 780. In fact, I still have a brand new DC66W because that was my plan. But I am lazy. [emoji4]

Ray
Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnDeb View Post
I got my Garmin RV 785 yesterday and have started playing around with it. It will take a few repetitions to remember what options are where, but I am pleased so far. One concern I have is with the Lane Departure Warning not going off when it should, even when we TRY to make it set off the alarm. I have tried repositioning the camera left, center and right, as well as facing forward. I have had it sitting on the bean bag dash holder instead of the window suction mount. I will switch to try that tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions? How much of the truck hood can be seen in the camera for this to work?

Tested the 785 in my truck yesterday. See if this helps you...

The LDW and Collision alerts only work above a certain speed.

LDW also depends on seeing some well defined lines.

I WILL say, the alert tones and display is pretty minimal. But, I kinda came to realize that it may be designed more with the thought of alerting you AS YOU ARE DISTRACTED AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE GPS, rather than the road.

The above was an interesting revelation for me. I actuality think there is some decent logic with that approach. It’s like having my wife tell me “what out”...except now I have the GPS telling me. Wonderful. [emoji2357]
Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI, if those with the 780 have not checked their SW version recently there was a update and map update posted in Garmin Express.

Latest SW version is 7.70 and maps are 2020.20.

I've not looked at every updated feature, but one I noted is the next mile marker feature listed in all of the previous documentation didn't show up anywhere on the unit until this latest upgrade.

Those with some operational problems with the 780 may find that this update resolves some of their issues.
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #61

Hey folks, be careful here. The OP is discussing the newest RV 785, which is a complete different beast than the 770/780.

Just want to avoid any confusion as to what model we are talking about.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
No way for me to remove my post. If a moderator checks in here please delete my post.
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #63
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlider View Post
No way for me to remove my post. If a moderator checks in here please delete my post.
There's no need. A lot of people likely are reading this thread to see what they want for their original purchase or whether they want to upgrade. If they can get a firmware update to their current unit and save some major dollars I think you did them a service by mentioning that.

Ray
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
There's no need. A lot of people likely are reading this thread to see what they want for their original purchase or whether they want to upgrade. If they can get a firmware update to their current unit and save some major dollars I think you did them a service by mentioning that.

Ray
Agree! My comment about keeping focused on the 785, was just because I know people are getting confused at the two models; 780 and 785. Kinda wish Garmin didn't use that methodology for a model that's so different from their predecessors. But, I have a feel this may be the future design of their RV series.

And also, just want to add that UPDATING both SOFTWARE and MAPS can be done within the GARMIN ITSELF; whether 770, 780, 785. You don't need to connect it to a computer running the Garmin Express application.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #65
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
And also, just want to add that UPDATING both SOFTWARE and MAPS can be done within the GARMIN ITSELF; whether 770, 780, 785. You don't need to connect it to a computer running the Garmin Express application.
Yup. And that's why Garmin's use of an end-of-life version of Android is such a bad thing (the Internet connectivity capabilities of the newer devices). Mine said it had a security patch from February 2019, well before I bought it, so perhaps they are backporting them.

But since v6.x is no longer even being tested for vulnerabilities it is still a bad thing.

Ray
Old 08-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #66

[QUOTE=svcattales;4900591]Dennis, I guess I haven't had the "ah ha" moment yet, but I'm glad it works for you.

I can't rely on Base Camp alone because it doesn't have RV hazard avoidance and my Garmin 61 doesn't either. That means I need to plan in RVTW and do two transfers of data: 1. PC to Base Camp and 2. Base Camp to Garmin. That is the part I'm having trouble with.

Vettenuts had a link that shows how to go direct from RVTW to Garmin with a GPX file, but I couldn't get that to work. The Garmin is supposed to show up on desktop, but it didn't. I found Garmin using device manager, but couldn't transfer the file. If I use Base Camp it puts several routes in different order than they occur and I have to sequence them manually before going to Garmin. I think this double data transfer is too complicated and takes too much time. I'm going to let Garmin plan the route and use turn by turn print out from RVTW to customize route in Garmin using the route shaping feature. I think this procedure takes less time and usually requires one or two route shaping waypoints to duplicate the RVTW route. I hope RVLife app for Android is released soon and maybe that will allow me to directly import routes from RVTW. Greg[/QUOTE

Same problem here! Also ran into PC not recognizing or connected to the device and RVTW having transfer directions that must be from an older version. I found the “send to device” under DEVICE, not TRANSFER, but could not get it to work, either. I am probably going to choose EITHER Base Camp or RVTW, but definitely don’t find any advantage in doing both at this point. Very convoluted process. That’ the hazard of buying something this new on the market, I suppose.
PaulnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #67

Quote:

Same problem here! Also ran into PC not recognizing or connected to the device and RVTW having transfer directions that must be from an older version. I found the “send to device” under DEVICE, not TRANSFER, but could not get it to work, either. I am probably going to choose EITHER Base Camp or RVTW, but definitely don’t find any advantage in doing both at this point. Very convoluted process. That’ the hazard of buying something this new on the market, I suppose.

Your post lost the proper formatting of a quote so can’t really be sure what it whom you’re responding to, nor your questions.

If you want to reformulate then into a list, perhaps I or someone else can help?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #68

I want to report back in after having used my new Garmin RV 785 a few times and especially for a 5 hr trip to Ft Worth today. I also had a very helpful talk earlier in the week with Garmin support.

Overall, I do really like it and plan to keep it. There is a slight learning curve, but I am usually fairly tech savvy and figured most out by playing around with it. I was able to pick the campgrounds and fuel/rest stops and enter directly into the Garmin AND do it using RVTW to Base Camp to Garmin. I can see benefits to doing it both ways.

Concerning the video camera, my mistake early on was not aligning the + with the true HORIZON. OnceI did that, the lane departure warning works great ... as long as the road is straight and flat (I-30 W into DFW area in most places). It does NOT work as well in crves or on hills, due to the horizon alignment, I assume. I absolutely LOVE the FORWARD COLLISION WARNING. It works fantastically! A reminder that you’ve creeped up a little too close on someone never hurts.

It also warned me of traffic delays and red light cameras.

It gave me advance notice of which lane to be in for upcoming exits and the map and video were easy to read at just a glance. The voice giving directions was easily understood.

There are a few recommendations I made to tech support.

1) Different alarm sound for LDWS and FCW from other
2) Allow sorting saved trips alphabetically or some other way than trip length
3) Reported an issue I had downloading trip fromBaseCamp where the Garmin would not stop “updating” even though the trip had completed the download. This was the first reported incident of that glitch, I was told. I just powered off and all worked fine.

We’ll see how responsive they are with the next update.

Again, I think overall it is a keeper!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #69

Oh! I had it mounted in the center of my dash pushed as far back to window as possible using one of the non-skid weighted stands. Never budged. Blocked very little of my sight.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #70

Quote:

1) Different alarm sound for LDWS and FCW from other
2) Allow sorting saved trips alphabetically or some other way than trip length
3) Reported an issue I had downloading trip fromBaseCamp where the Garmin would not stop “updating” even though the trip had completed the download. This was the first reported incident of that glitch, I was told. I just powered off and all worked fine.

We’ll see how responsive they are with the next update.

Again, I think overall it is a keeper!

Let me address these two points:

2) the way you can force Trips to be sorted is to set the schedule. I do this on all trips, and then name them with the DATE first in order to force the correct sorting. Otherwise, if the schedule of the trip is not set, you’ll get jacked up lists.

3) the 785 won’t stop “Updating” until you unplug it from the computer. That’s a bug.

As for using RVTW, I’ve found ZERO use for their exporting process. A total waste of time. You’re better to do it through the Garmin itself, or Basecamp. RVTW is fine for researching the route.