Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
GPS recommendations?

My old and I mean old gps broke. What’s good and what’s not so good.
1jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

I like Garmin and if you have a computer; BaseCamp which is a free download from the link below.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pr...801&tab=videos
Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If I were buying a new RV GPS I would go with the Garmin! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

Garmin 7xx RV series are the standard the others try to match. I am very happy with our 760 RV.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #5

We have the Garmin 770 and like it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
We have the Garmin 770 and like it.
Bingo...Garmin 770 is nice, have had Rand devices, didn't like them.
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
We have the Garmin 760RV ===it was good in Canada and Alaska (once the proper maps were loaded) In my opinion it is actually better than our phones -- which is why we went with a more capable GPS where you can program in your RV attributes

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

I kicked the same question around for months. I finally picked up a dash mount for my iPad and run the Waze app on it. Works good, is visible while driving and can be heard while it gives me turn by turn instructions. I out 25 bucks for the mount.

I have a number of RV and truck routing apps on my iPad. Waze works better then them all and is up to date. It does not tell me low bridges, but does everything else I want.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAboater View Post
I kicked the same question around for months. I finally picked up a dash mount for my iPad and run the Waze app on it. Works good, is visible while driving and can be heard while it gives me turn by turn instructions. I out 25 bucks for the mount.

I have a number of RV and truck routing apps on my iPad. Waze works better then them all and is up to date. It does not tell me low bridges, but does everything else I want.
Add to the list of 'doesn't have'...wish it did

Tunnel/Propane warning
Curve Warning
Incline Warning
Weight Warning
Most important - international boarder avoidance

It's probably better now, but on a trip from NY to WI my Rand died (now replaced with a RV770) in route so I fired up Waze. Not paying any attention, just following orders, Waze routed me through Canada as the fastest route.

I managed to get off at the last exit before the boarder...would have been fine other than the fact we were coming back from a trap shoot...so I was what some would consider "heavily armed". That might have made for a less than interesting conversation with the boarder police.

I use Waze as a backup/second opinion and for the crowd-sourced road condition look-ahead.

ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
We use the Garmin 760 because I don't trust phones any more.

Have used both Iphone and Android with similar results -- through a year or so with phones I was routed into --gated communities I could not pass through, small two lane roads with many overhanging tress that trucks were obviously not using, and over small bridges that said 5 ton, or 10 ton limit. (when we weight about 15 tons)

We also used it extensively in Alaska and Canada when cell coverage was not available.

All that made me decide to ditch cell phone related GPS units, and go with a better GPS. This of course is not about the interface which may be better on phone systems.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #11

The only thing better than a Garmin 770 is a Garmin 770 backed up by a Garmin 478.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_143648_resized.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	271165
Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

We have been using the Garmin for over a year now. We use base camp, which is a little cumbersome, but doable. When traveling I keep both the Garmin and Google maps running at the same time in two different units. Although the Garmin is good at some things, it makes a lot of mistakes. If I find 10 errors during a trip eight of them will be on the Garmin and two on Google. If I was forced to get rid of one , it would be the Garmin, but I'm happy to have both of them. I always download the Google Maps into my phone for the areas I will be traveling so I always have that Working.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

GPS recommendations?

I had Copilot for several years and got tired of poor support and their updates that took away the RV profile necessitating repurchasing the software.

I bought a Garmin RV 780 and love it. I program it on my desktop using Basecamp and then upload it to the GPS. When we travel, I load the files onto the laptop which allows me to plan our next trip or alter our current trip. It also warns me of upcoming sharp curves, steep grades and using my phone and their app, it also provides traffic updates. You can also hit the up ahead feature and it will provide distance to the next rest area, restaurants, campgrounds, etc.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #14

Very happy with our Garmin 770.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps