RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Great handy hand held siphon for gas, water, oil, whatever

I just happened to pick up this gadget. I have a heck of a time holding things anymore so holding a gas can is tough when I am refilling the backup portable generator, adding antifreeze or pretty much anything.

This thing was just under $10 at Wallyworld. It takes two D-cells and that's it. It's idot proof too. Here is a link to it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...Pump/727993515

I think you can find it at Amazon, etc...

I actually bought 4 more to use as backups. My original has been great for about 4 months now and I use it almost daily. Fills a 5 gal tank in about 2-3 min. It really is a pleasant surprise for me, I've tried some many manual siphons but they all seem to just fall apart. Hopefully this one will last...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have used one for years to pump water from blue jug to trailer in the boonies. Great item, and this one looks like a bargain. Can find on net all over by searching for turkey oil pump. Not the fastest transfer times, but works great!! Recommended!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip! I will be picking up one of those!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
I just happened to pick up this gadget. I have a heck of a time holding things anymore so holding a gas can is tough when I am refilling the backup portable generator, adding antifreeze or pretty much anything.

This thing was just under $10 at Wallyworld. It takes two D-cells and that's it. It's idot proof too. Here is a link to it:

I actually bought 4 more to use as backups. My original has been great for about 4 months now and I use it almost daily. Fills a 5 gal tank in about 2-3 min. It really is a pleasant surprise for me, I've tried some many manual siphons but they all seem to just fall apart. Hopefully this one will last...
The link didn't work for me. This is what I have used for years. Works great: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...977144&sr=8-19
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #5

Quote:

Funny you just posted this. Remember the oil shortage when we were all looking to wood and kerosene to heat with? I had 3 kerosene heaters I used to fill with a siphon/pump that looked very much like your WM post, except mine had a plastic squeeze bulb at the end instead of a battery pump. It turns out I just checked out that siphon/pump this morning as I carry it to fill my Coleman lanterns when boondocking. Yep, a bit of a pack rat. God only knows how old it is. But it still works fine. LOL
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
WVI

Looks like they have a couple in stock by me. I Think I'll have to get one to use on the 5 gal jugs in the van.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

I got a D cell battery powered pump like the OP's off Amazon. When dry camping I use it to siphon diesel fuel into my tank to run my ONAN generator when my fuel tank level drops below the generator fuel pickup at ~25%. Using the toad to get fuel is a lot easier than moving the coach to get fuel. It's also a heck of a lot easier to set the yellow plastic 5 gallon diesel can on the ground next to my fuel filler neck and letting the pump suck it out into the coach than trying to pick it up and pour it in.
I don't use it often but it pays for itself when I do.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Funny you just posted this. Remember the oil shortage when we were all looking to wood and kerosene to heat with? I had 3 kerosene heaters I used to fill with a siphon/pump that looked very much like your WM post, except mine had a plastic squeeze bulb at the end instead of a battery pump. It turns out I just checked out that siphon/pump this morning as I carry it to fill my Coleman lanterns when boondocking. Yep, a bit of a pack rat. God only knows how old it is. But it still works fine. LOL
That's is great...man I remember those gas lines serving odds & evens on alternate days. Of such fun, glad I was a just a non-driving budding teenager back them.

You make a great point that adding one of those siphons to my gear might one day end-up as a lifesaver. Batteries die, small motors fail making a manual backup really important.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I got a D cell battery powered pump like the OP's off Amazon. When dry camping I use it to siphon diesel fuel into my tank to run my ONAN generator when my fuel tank level drops below the generator fuel pickup at ~25%. Using the toad to get fuel is a lot easier than moving the coach to get fuel. It's also a heck of a lot easier to set the yellow plastic 5 gallon diesel can on the ground next to my fuel filler neck and letting the pump suck it out into the coach than trying to pick it up and pour it in.
I don't use it often but it pays for itself when I do.
GMTA...thanks for sharing how it works for you. I think our mindsets are in sync on the value. I have used mine every day for several months now, I'm using the small Champion a lot these days because it has a wireless remote so I can start it at night w/o needing to get out of bed and trudge up to the cab. I typically use it to pump 3.5-4gal fuel at a time.

I am totally surprised a product like this at that price actually works and didn't self immolate after the 3rd use.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yup every old fart like me lives to hear those words...
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
That's is great...man I remember those gas lines serving odds & evens on alternate days. Of such fun, glad I was a just a non-driving budding teenager back them.

You make a great point that adding one of those siphons to my gear might one day end-up as a lifesaver. Batteries die, small motors fail making a manual backup really important.
We fish in Alaska using a 20hp Yamaha on a 14' inflatable. When we're packing up we also use this siphon to empty the outboard portable fuel tanks into the toad fuel tank. We don't like to carry gasoline in the enclosed pickup bed with the fish chest freezer running.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, water