Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

Grill Guard(bbq)

I won a http://grillguard.com/
at the 2009 irv2.com national rally, with a request for feedback to the manufacturer. We've been sidelined with wife's broken elbow and me having skin cancer removed, but I have used it a few times. Sitting on the truck tailgate, a picnic table or otherwise sturdy base it works as advertised. I bought a grill stand at the rally yard sale. Sitting on the folding stand, with the grill in the grill guard enclosure, a sudden gust of wind will overturn the stand because it is already top-heavy. I guess the grill guard presents too much surface area to the wind. Overall I like it very well, as I usually lower the tailgate to use our tabletop grill (quick N easy) when just overnighting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since you have used it.
Would you pay $65 to replace it if something happened to it?

Or just buy a roll of Aluminum to put around the grill to stop the wind?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Since you have used it.
Would you pay $65 to replace it if something happened to it?

Or just buy a roll of Aluminum to put around the grill to stop the wind?
Sounds like a plan to me. Where do I buy a roll of aluminum? And why a roll? Wouldn't you need to be able to fold it flat for storage? Or do you buy sheet aluminum and piano hinges and fabricate it yourself?

Having worked through that, I wonder if $65 is that bad of a deal? I really have no idea, just asking.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Phone any scrapyard and ask their selling price for scrap sheet aluminum, you'll take a deep breath. Now double that for new sheet aluminum. working with aluminum is not easy, it dents, scratchs, and warps easily when worked. Factor in labor and business costs, and I feel this a reasonable price. Yes I would pay for a replacement if mine is stolen or destroyed. If you use a picnic table for a grill stand, the grill guard keeps any drippings off the table; or in my case off my tailgate.
FWIW, I just bought a small piece of scrap sheet aluminum at a local scrap dealer, 3"x6"x .250" thick, cost-$1. Current price of aluminum http://www.recycleinme.com/scrapresources/members
/detailedprice.aspx?cat=LME%20Cash%20Prices&subcat= Aluminum&from=6/23/2009&to=7/23/2009
is $1,603.90 per U.S. ton. New stuff http://www.aaluminum.com/
$1.25/lb.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I forgot to add Aluminum Foil as in Reynolds Wrap found in your local grocery store. No need to get it at a scrapyard.

I don't know what I paid for a 8 1/3 YDS X 18" a total 37 1/2 SQ.FT.
I know it was a whole lot less then $65.

I bought a roll several years ago and I am still using some from the same roll under my grill on the table to catch drippings.
I also wrap some of it around the legs to keep the wind from blowing the flame out when on low setting.

The same pieces of foil can be used over & over before they need replaced. And it doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing to where you have to place the grill to get the front side out of the wind.

And the foil does not take much space to store it between uses.

But if you are happy to spend $65 for something to do the same thing as the foil. Then buy it and use it. Not that anything is wrong with that.

I just don't think I will buy one, to have something around my grill that cost more then my Grill did.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote