Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy Camper...does it really work?

I have used happy camper for about a year. I have never had clogs or smells, but I thought that adding a scoop to both tanks periodically would keep any sludge from building up.

So after a year or so of this practice, and never having a problem, I decided to shown my DW how it works. We had an empty peanut butter har that we had just finished. Looking inside this jar reminded me of what the rv tanks could look like had I not been using happy camper.

The directions say 1 scoop to 1 gallon of water, good for 40 gallon tank.

I added 1/8 scoop to 2 cups of water, mixed, and then filled the peanut butter jar.

For good measure I added a bit of banana and a corner piece of bread. I left the lid off, and we went out for the day.

After a full 24 hours, I turned the jar on end in the sink to simulate a flush.

The bread piece was soaked, but there. The banana was there, no change, and the sides of the jar looked untouched.

I now believe this product is a scam, but I am hoping someone can point out the flaw with my test, as I don't want to believe that I have been lied to.

Not looking for testimonies on your black or gray tank, looking for a real world provable test that we can all duplicate. If thats not possible, then I think this product is snake oil.

Anyone have a method that is reproducible that will prove this works?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe not snake oil, but try a little blue Dawn dish soap.

That's what we have been using for years.

Your test was OK, but it takes time for anything to break down, even in a septic tank.

I try to drive for half an hour or so before I dump if we have been dry camping for a few days. Otherwise, it's a good flush with full hook-up water pressure when I dump in a full service site.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, good tank maintenance, rinsing, and agitation seem to be the only solution that is needed.

Dawn makes sense for oil breakdown.

The issue with happy camper is it claims to do this within 24hrs, as well as claims to dissolve solids. Both of these claims failed in my test.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:58 AM   #4

I've been using Happy Camper for at least 5 or 6 years and I've been pleased with it's performance when it comes to controlling odors and breaking materials down.

However, it would be interesting to see what some valid testing would show about the different additives that are used by many in their RV tanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if my "results" with the product are due more to proper flushing and rinsing of the tanks. If nothing else, some extensive testing could tell us what products are effective at reducing odors and breaking down solids.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't normally put peanut butter or bananas in our black tank so don't consider that a valid test. We've been using Happy Camper for more years than I can remember and never have any odors or clogs. It breaks up the toilet paper and the poop and that's the only things I'm really concerned about. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #6

I'd call the Happy Camper manufacturer, tell them your experience with the peanut butter jar, and see what they say.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't normally put peanut butter or bananas in our black tank so don't consider that a valid test. We've been using Happy Camper for more years than I can remember and never have any odors or clogs. It breaks up the toilet paper and the poop and that's the only things I'm really concerned about. Works for me!
This is a test of the Gray tank. The product claims to use 1/2 scoop for 40 gallons of gray tank, and claims that it helps to break down grease and other products that are in the gray tank.

Gray tank smells are much worse than black tank smells. This is most likely because it spends more time open, allowing more scum and solid build up. Thus the reason for testing in the manner I did.

What part of this test is not valid for testing the gray tank?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #8

If there is a flaw it is a lack of agitation i would think. Your test does bring up some questions but for me the results i have had in our 2 yrs full-time, we will continue to use it.
bigdadof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This is a test of the Gray tank. The product claims to use 1/2 scoop for 40 gallons of gray tank, and claims that it helps to break down grease and other products that are in the gray tank.

Gray tank smells are much worse than black tank smells. This is most likely because it spends more time open, allowing more scum and solid build up. Thus the reason for testing in the manner I did.

What part of this test is not valid for testing the gray tank?
Sorry, didn't catch that you were testing for the gray tank! We don't use it in the gray tank so can't comment on that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadof5 View Post
If there is a flaw it is a lack of agitation i would think. Your test does bring up some questions but for me the results i have had in our 2 yrs full-time, we will continue to use it.

I would agree that agitation might help.

One thought that I had was this is an extreme buildup. This may require additional product and time.

I am going to repeat with more product, and longer time, and I will add a shake to it to simulate a drive and let it soak again.

I just want to see it work
Old 08-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #11

No test but I have clear elbows on hose to see what is coming down the pipe. When using nothing the amount of tp and solid poop is pretty amazing. Used others then went to HC and see positive results when dumping. I agree that agitation from driving does help. We periodically put some in the grey tank to break up whatever is there. I also placed wood between the bottom of the tank and metal straps to be sure everything drains. No smell at all. Will continue using.

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 08-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally I find it hard to believe that anything that you can put your bare hand in, that when mixed in the proportions specified, can do ANYTHING to actually dissolve solids of any sort in a 40 gallon tank. I think that if it could actually dissolve anything in the tank it would burn your hands when you touch it.
I could believe that it makes the surface of the tank and drain lines 'slick' to aid in completely removing solids from the tank.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #13

Sorry, but 3 years of happy camper in 2 40 gallon black tanks, and I think 2 40 gallon gray tanks and after flushing, I show 4 empty tanks. No idea what's in it but I do know I had to stop my wife from using Clorox toilet cleaner. Must kill all the critters. For me, this is one of those.......if it ain't broke.......don't fix it things.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
In 34 years of camping I've never had a problem and never used Happy Camper.

I've pretty much settled on...

> nothing but lots of water for short stays and a good black tank flush
> Thetford Aqua-Kem Dri when I do use a chemical (in black tank and sometimes grey tanks) and a good black tank flush
> Camco Probe Cleaner when my gauges don't read right and I feel I have the time & travel distance to use it (I find this works well)

I suppose my point is.... most chemicals work but liberal use of water and regular rinsing are a must to prevent sludge build-up (which, I think, Happy Camper claims to prevent).

Tags
camper