Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 02:46 AM   #1

How do carry your step ladder on back of mh

I've been carrying a little giant mini 17 in the pass thru basement of gas mh. It takes up lots of room there so thinking of attaching it to the ladder on back. What bracket is available to support it? Do you use a chair attachment bracket or ????
Thanks in advance
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:21 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I stopped carrying the little giant I have and just relegated it to home use. We purchased a fold up ladder at CW which is the same as this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...05&sr=8-8&th=1

I folds to about 4x4x7' and it fits perfectly between the sliding tray in the first bay and the wall. Have had it for over a year now and we use it on every stop to install the shades on the windows, loaned to several other campers for repairs, and it continues to work great. I says a 225 weight rating but I am slightly over that and have no issues.

I also use it to access the roof on our coach if need be. We have the 2 piece rear ladder and this ladder allows me to get to the upper ladder and not carry the factory lower. This is way easier to transport than the factory lower ladder section which took up a lot of room in the basement storage.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #3

I don't carry one on my ladder, I put a 5"x5" pvc post in the full width bay and the same ladder jmck1737 fits right in it.

My neighbor has a Precept so I understand that you don't have an open bay type basement. His has a very long open storage bay that is attached to the bottom of his curbside slide. Can you fit a ladder like the one above in the back of that bay?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would be very concerned about that ladder attached to the ladder of your MH! It would be an easy target for thieves!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We carry the little giant in a bay but it's with other items we don't regularly need to access.

My wife would refuse to travel in an RV with a ladder of any kind attached to the rear ladder of the RV. It does look pretty hokey.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We carry the little giant in a bay but it's with other items we don't regularly need to access.

My wife would refuse to travel in an RV with a ladder of any kind attached to the rear ladder of the RV. It does look pretty hokey.
Hokey is a portable sewage tank hanging off the ladder.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Hokey is a portable sewage tank hanging off the ladder.
^Agreed.

Worst is, a ladder, a sewer tote and a couple of bikes.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #8

We use the same 4"x 4"x 7' ladder. Store mine on one side of the slide tray. Use it the same as others have noted. It can get a little wobbly if all four feet are not level, but I feel pretty secure using it.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I don't carry one on my ladder, I put a 5"x5" pvc post in the full width bay and the same ladder jmck1737 fits right in it.

My neighbor has a Precept so I understand that you don't have an open bay type basement. His has a very long open storage bay that is attached to the bottom of his curbside slide. Can you fit a ladder like the one above in the back of that bay?
I can fit a ladder like yours no problem however I hate to admit but I'm over the limit of 5he ladder rating. Right now we're in middle of 7 month trip , once I get back to FL I plan on buying a Costco telescoping ladder which has a higher weight rating. That will travel better than the little giant.
I'm wanting a solution for the rest of this trip to get the ladder and a little more basement for the DW trinkets accumulated in our travels
Old 08-07-2021, 02:29 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone for their input
Old 08-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How do carry your step ladder on back of mh

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	339263Camco makes this rack to hang equipment on the rear ladder of a motorhome. It works quite well, formed of about 3/8” steel rod, and is very strong.
I’ve been carrying our 16 ft ladder on this Camco rack for almost ten years now, with no problem. For six years I carried a Werner folding 16 ft that weighed 40 Lbs. The last few years we’ve had a 17 ft Little Giant type ladder from Harbor Freight. I switched because the LG type is 10Lb lighter and easier for me to move around. Neither ladder posed any sort of problem being carried this way.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
I would be very concerned about that ladder attached to the ladder of your MH! It would be an easy target for thieves!
As heavy as my Little Giant ladder is, I'm not sure that picking up the Little Giant (and the RV ladder) off the road would constitute "thieving".

Ray
Old 08-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #13

I went with a telescoping ladder so I didn't have to deal with folding type that are too short or a heavy little giant (which I have for home use).

Very compact compared to any other option
Old 08-13-2021, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
I went with a telescoping ladder so I didn't have to deal with folding type that are too short or a heavy little giant (which I have for home use).

Very compact compared to any other option
Ditto!

We have a 15’ Xtend + Climb and it has been great. Would buy it again and in our travels have had others ask us about it and try it.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote